Aspiring audiophile here...
Nov 4, 2011 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Knightwolf15

Head-Fier
Hi guys, 

I've always loved music. But very recently I listened to a pair of full size headphones with an amp for the first time. I decided I wanted to  get myself a decent pair of cans and an amplifier (if I need one). One of my friends sent me here because he said only good things about this website.

First off I'm probably going to buy the Sennheiser HD 428s. I just need an amp to go along with them. I don't mind spending a little extra if the value will be worth it. So can someone point me in the right direction amp wise? I'd appreciate any information really. Preferably recommendations. Also what's the general difference in amps designed for MP3 players and ones designed for computers? I read something about piggybacking amps causing issues because of the built in amps in MP3 players and phones designed to run small headphones. Thanks in advance by the way!

Sincerely,
Knightwolf

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 52
Dear OP,

what is you price range and perfered sound signatures?

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 52
Welcome to Head-Fi! There's quite a few amps worth considering so it will probably help if you tell us what songs you listen to eg. rap/electronic/trance. Generally, though, a solid recommendation will be the Fiio E7 or the new iBasso D-zero, main difference being you cn EQ the E7, and that way you can get the E9 at anytime if you decide to upgrade to desktop. You'll want to get a line out to bypass the built in amp. Cmoys are also good if you're on a budget.

However, i think that you should spend the money on a better headphone before considering amping, since IMO an amp won't really matter until you go a bit higher up the chain.

Very best,
IMAWolf

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #5 of 52
I listen to everything but I probably have more various kinds of Rock and Rap than anything else. Would the E7 be a safe general choice all around. Also, I haven't purchased the headphones yet so there is still time for me to pick a different pair. I know this is the wrong forum for it but would you mind pointing me in the right direction for that as well? 

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 52
E7 is a great choice, that is how I started. And you still haven't told us your prefered music selection, as that will be the deciding factor when choosing your headphones.

Nov 5, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 52
Quote:
Music selection? Mostly Rock, Rap, old school R&B (Earth, Wind, & Fire), Some Dubstep, and some classical. I guess if I had to choose one genre I'd choose Rock to sound the best.

Grado would be your best bet, though I'm sure we can find you a nice all-rounder for various genres. Now all we need is a price range.
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #10 of 52
Hey op,

I was kind of in the same position you were not one month ago. As far as headphone amps go, the one I recommend the most for the beginning audiophile is the PA2V2 by Electric Avenues (full disclosure: it's my first and only amp..haha). However, there are likely a large amount of people on this site, myself included who can attest first hand to the awesomeness that is Gary Ali, the guy who hand makes these things which, in my opinion sound absolutely fantastic for the price of $60 US. As far as beginning amps go, you *cannot* go wrong with the PA2V2.

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #12 of 52
$250????
eek.gif

Grado SR-60i - $79.00

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-SR-60i-Padded-Headphones/dp/B0006DPMU4

G-Cush Cup Mod - $45.00

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-G-CUSH-Headphone-Cushion-GS1000i/dp/B0039VP3X6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Fiio E11 - $64.82

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E11-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0053KWDES

Assuming you'll be using an ipod....

Fiio L9 Interconnect - $14.95

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L9-L-Shaped-Cable-iPhone/dp/B004QVNNI0/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1320556379&sr=1-7

Total Cost: $203.77 + shipping. Just Under your limit of $250
biggrin.gif

*Note* You can get most of this stuff cheaper in the F/S Threads if you look hard.

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #14 of 52
For rock... hell yeah. With the G-Cush Pads... ****** YEAH!!!
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back