ASL Twinhead MkII - To Buy Or Not To Buy?
May 13, 2003 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Nightfall

Headphoneus Supremus
As you might have already read in the Detroit Meet followup thread in the Member's Lounge, I thought that the Twinhead MkII that Jude so kindly allowed us to audition at that gathering was simply spectacular.

my previous comments:

"For me, the clear champion of the amps there was the simply superb ASL Twinhead MkII, or as Fred calls it, "the CES Twinhead MarkII ringer" (more about that later). The amp simply blew me away, and was far and away the best headphone amp I have ever heard. I regretted that it was the first amp that I seriously auditioned at the meet, as nothing else could truly compare. The soundstage was huge.........the sound so liquid, and velvetlike and rich that it provided the most amazing headphone experience I have ever had. I listened to it for extended periods with the Beyer DT 880's, the Sony CD-3000's, and Tuberoller's Equinoxed Sennheiser 600's. After hearing that amp, I dont know that I can live without one."

Even going in, and expecting a lot, the Twinhead just completely astounded me with its sound. As much as I absolutely shouldnt be spending virtually $2000.00 on a headphone amp, after listening to that one, I suspect I would turn to crime if necessary, to own one.
As is often the case in life, this isnt an easy situation to sort out though. The amp that we all auditioned at the meet, is more properly, as described by Tuberoller, "the CES ringer version". He has listened to other units that simply did not compare to the one Jude has in his posession.
Now I realize that Joe Lau has noted, as posted here at Head-Fi, that he recently discovered a problem in the production run of Twinhead mkII's and has addressed it, and Joe is, based upon the comments of everyone who has met him, a great guy. But I am still uneasy about this. There have been concerns expressed in the past about ASL reliability and consistency of a specific product offerings.
I am, in the end, more than a little worried about dropping 2k on an amp that may, or may not live up to the sound of the "CES ringer version". To do so, I would want some sort of reassurance or guarantee , in the form of say, a money back offer to at least allow me to verify that I have what is expected.
If I know that I too can purchase a MKII that will equal the sound of Jude's pre-production, CES Demo version, I intend to do so. It would also be nice if its appearance also matched that one's though it appears the changes previously announced for the production version are unlikely to be changed. It is a beautiful amp as presented in the pre-production version, with the chrome top panels of both the amp and power supply sections, as well as the lack of tube cages.

JC

May 13, 2003 at 5:54 AM Post #2 of 18
Pm joe and see if you can get a unit comparable to the one at detroit .

that is 2K so dont settle for less than the CES ringer twinhead.

May 13, 2003 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 18
Joe, the units you sent out you said were easily fixed. Maybe for an amp designer and builder like you, but for a laymen, I do not know where to start. You said I am supposed to just remove the resistors on the -10db switch. The problem is I do not know what or where the resistors are. I think it would be dangerous for me to start cutting something I do not know anything about. Is there a chance you could post pictures to aid me? I sure would not mind if my unit sounded as good as the CES unit too. Thanks

May 13, 2003 at 2:26 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Kieran Comito
Joe, the units you sent out you said were easily fixed. Maybe for an amp designer and builder like you, but for a laymen, I do not know where to start. You said I am supposed to just remove the resistors on the -10db switch. The problem is I do not know what or where the resistors are. I think it would be dangerous for me to start cutting something I do not know anything about. Is there a chance you could post pictures to aid me? I sure would not mind if my unit sounded as good as the CES unit too. Thanks

Yes ! Send me a email. I will take a Photo and send to you by email.

May 15, 2003 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 18
Upscale Audio claims to have ASL products in stock. Many posters have complained about Divergents customer service. I've dealt with Kevin at Upscale and think he is a good guy; just don't email him and expect a quick reply - calling him is a better idea.

May 15, 2003 at 4:27 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by screwdriver
Pm joe and see if you can get a unit comparable to the one at detroit .

that is 2K so dont settle for less than the CES ringer twinhead.

I did that very thing last night. No reply yet. We shall see what I hear back.

JC

May 15, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #12 of 18
I agree, the TwinHead II was the king of our meet. I liked the Blockhead a lot, but the TwinHead II wins by a nose.

Of course, you know what this means....You'll have to buy a Wadia 861se to go with it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 17, 2003 at 6:14 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Gallaine
Upscale Audio claims to have ASL products in stock. Many posters have complained about Divergents customer service. I've dealt with Kevin at Upscale and think he is a good guy; just don't email him and expect a quick reply - calling him is a better idea.

I called upscaleaudio about a week ago and they do not have either the ASL Twinhead Mk II or the OTL 32 in stock. I was hpping to drive there and have a listen. Shucks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back