ASL MG Head OTL: what's the difference between the mk. 1, mk. 2, and mk. 3 versions?
Mar 15, 2004 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

mshan

1000+ Head-Fier
Comments on differences in features, mechanical construction and parts, and sound quality, would be greatly appreciated.

(my source is an M-Audio Revolution. I currently own a pair of Grado SR-60, but have also just purchased a used pair of Sennheiser HD-600 with Cardas headphone cable)

Mar 15, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 18
This has been discussed before. If you do a search under ASL MK? you will come up with quite a bit. Just within the past couple of months, there has been a thread or two on the new MKIII.

Mar 15, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 18
So all the Sennheiser HD-600 users must use a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter?

Is the one included wit the HD-600 good enough not to limit the capabilities of the headphone or amp?

Mar 16, 2004 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 18
From a Google search:

"ANTIQUE SOUND LABS: The incredibly popular MG Head DT/OTL MkII tube headphone amplifiers gets a facelift. The MG Head DT/OTL MkIII gets a thicker front panel for the main unit and a metal chassis for the power supply (replacing the plastic box used previously) give the unit a more sophisticated look. No circuit changes were mentioned and it hadn’t been decided at show time if there will be a price increase. Currently the MKII retails for $359" (http://www.gcaudio.com/newsletter/2004_winter3.html)

Are all of the changes from mk. 2 to mk. 3 cosmetic, or are others aware of mechanical / sonic changes from mk. 2 to mk. 3?

Mar 16, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by mshan
From a Google search:

Are all of the changes from mk. 2 to mk. 3 cosmetic, or are others aware of mechanical / sonic changes from mk. 2 to mk. 3?

Primarily cosmetic, but do a search under MKIII here at this site in the amp forum, and you will find a thread listing the differences between the two. I tried to look it up for you, but the search is down right now.
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #14 of 18
Mk III also improved Output transformers to wider band width. Main Chassis also improve to extrude aluminum chassis with 3mm Thickness. It will not have uneven chassis. crocking panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back