Asking for your ideas for custom-molded portable amp case(s).
Nov 27, 2001 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Herakleitus

New Head-Fier
While DIY amplifiers are very cool, the cases are for the most part generic--with the exception of Apheared's Penguin case. To rectify this injustice, I've decided to mold my own case, out of a 'high performance plastic, rigid casting resin for thin sections'. I can mold it into any shape, size or color that I want. I have also bought some nickel/silver powdered metal, so it can even appear to be made out of metal. Structurally, the final material is very sturdy. There are almost no limits as to what could be done. So, what I am asking for then are your ideas for the best custom cases. What would you like to see?
If my case works out very well, I would of course be happy to share more of them with fellow Head-Fiers--the least I can do is show you how easily high quality cases can be made, and after that, I don't know who would want a stock case any more.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2001 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 5
Wow. I guess the question is do you go for a functional optimum design or pull out the plugs and do the abstract art design. The abstract would have the effect of drawing interest from people, but the functional would probably be most popular.

Nov 27, 2001 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 5
seems that while generic enclosures are boring, they are the most efficient shape. unless someone comes up with a radical new design which is easy to put in your pocket, then the flat rectangle it is.

separate battery compartment with door would be nice.

i am interested to see what you come up with. i guess i am just not that creative!

Nov 28, 2001 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 5
Herakleitus, I got some ideas for amp shapes. How about a disc shape that can be velcroed under a portable CD player. Or a square shape for a portable MD player. Of course, these shapes would have to mimic the actual CD player itself so it looks like they were meant to be together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back