asking for your expertise
Dec 20, 2010 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jkorstyle3

New Head-Fier
hello everyone,

i've been reading through these forums a lot, and i think i am more split and confused (but more knowledgable) than i am coming close to a decision. i am looking for a pair of full headphones (over the ear for comfort). my last pair of headphones were the sennheiser hd448 which i loved but wanted something a little bit more... i dunno how to exactly explain it. my biggest complaint was, at least to me, seem to lack a little bit of clarity but more importantly, i really love a wide soundstage that i know headphones can give you. but really, i was happy with the hd448s.

my budget is about $100-150 (sold my hds for $80 and i have a $50 amazon gift card), and i was considering the following headphones: senn HD555, audio technica ad-700, audio technica a-700, and others that usually pop up in comparison to these headphones.

i like the idea of getting open headphones, but hate the fact that i need to give up a good, solid bass response - i'm open to giving up my cheap skullcandy-basshead-needs but nevertheless, i would like something with some good bass umph. and again, most importantly, i would like to get headphones that have a large (wide?) soundstage and clarity. to give more information, when looking into earbuds, i tried the klipsch image s4 and thought they were way to piercing and "thin" sounding, and so, knowing that people raved about the images s4s, i'm afraid that some of these headphones that are also getting rave reviews might be similar. 

as much as i would love to think i will, i most likely won't buy a headphone amp for them anytime soon, and will run them from my macbook pro/ipod/iphone, but i would like to have the possibility of having room to grow if i do end up buying an amp. this probably sounds like a lot of *bleh* and dumping it on you guys, but if you guys could help, i'd really appreciate it. just an overview to help:

wants:
1. large soundstage
2. good bass response
3. can be driven by laptop with room to grow if amp is purchased
4. over-the-ear/comfortable
5. around $100-150 budget

thanks in advanced for your help!

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 3
kind of music i listen to:

i listen to a wide gamut of music.. anywhere from jazz, classical, folk, rock, hip-hop, contemporary christian music... some bands i enjoy? radiohead, sigur ros (if you can make sigur rose sound even awesome-er, that'd be... well awesome!), beirut, bon iver, arcade fire, norah jones, john coltrane, yo la tengo, hillsong/hillsong united, some korean rap/hiphop, and the list goes on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back