Asking for advice on new headphones
Aug 30, 2006 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

quietstorm

Head-Fier
Hello all,

I would like to buy new ear-cup (because i've heard that these are more comfortable and do a very good job in isolation) headphones and I've read many threads but still can't decide what to buy.

Specifications:
Price range - 70$ (just to remind you: on Ebay and Amazon you can get more expensive ones with a very good price).
Music, I listen: mainly hip-hop, reggae but almost every music genre is represented in my collection.
For what: i have an ipod mini at the moment but it would be good that the headphones worked very well with other mp3 players too.
Demands: i hate when i hear outside sounds, when listening to music, so i'd need a solution for that.

Things that people have recommended:

*Koss Pro4AA Titanium (i read from somewhere that these ones have 250 Ohm, so they wouldn't be good for ipod. Please correct me if I'm wrong).
*AKG K81DJ.
*Sennheiser PXC 250
*Sennheiser HD 555

Other recommendations are more than welcome!
Thanks in advance.

Aug 30, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 13
Aug 30, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 13
K81DJ goes for $57 at buy.com with free shipping.
Amazing bass. Good sound isolation.
basshead.gif

Aug 30, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by quietstorm
Demands: i hate when i hear outside sounds, when listening to music, so i'd need a solution for that.

That knocks out the SR60 suggestion. And, the HD555. Both are open.

Aug 30, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 13
the Pro 4aa is out of the question because it sucks, too.

For the money you are willing to spend, AKG K26P, AKG K81DJ, Sennheiser HD280, Sennheiser HD-25, and Sony MDR V7506 are all viable options.

There are also canalphones. Good isolation, though I find peoples' assertations of comfort suspect. I've never owned an expensive pair of them, personally, so maybe mine have spikes or sandpaper in them that they only package with the cheap ones.... Still, I think in your price range, you can get that new Sennheiser CX300, or maybe possibly even a pair of Etymotics ER-6i (maybe).

Aug 30, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #6 of 13
er6i? i think not. i know not everyone like huge bass but, er6i? no. just not enough bass. i have and love er6i but not with hiphop and raggae. k26? unless you're a basshead(i am a little bit when listening hiphop, like them ok). k81? i think they're very good but i think they're better amped. what about the cx300? or ep630? they have enough bass while some ok isolation. good at everything, nothing great though. no amp needed.

Aug 30, 2006 at 12:30 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz
er6i? i think not. i know not everyone like huge bass but, er6i? no. just not enough bass. i have and love er6i but not with hiphop and raggae. k26? unless you're a basshead(i am a little bit when listening hiphop, like them ok). k81? i think they're very good but i think they're better amped. what about the cx300? or ep630? they have enough bass while some ok isolation. good at everything, nothing great though. no amp needed.

K81DJ does need an amp. I use it with a Xin Supermini, and it has awsome bass.

Aug 30, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 13
Thank you for the replies, guys
smily_headphones1.gif

*Sennheiser HD-25 is more expensive than 70$

*K81DJ is Temporarily Sold Out at buy.com (but i can wait a while, heh). it's a good price there.

*Sony MDR V7506- didn't find places, where to buy them.

*AKG K26P- don't have anything to say about those yet.

so these ones should qualify then, but if you have more suggestions, then just say
smily_headphones1.gif

Canalphones- i've heard that, since those are real deep in your ear, then they hurt your hearing. and i really don't like stuff real deep in my ear.

Aug 30, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by quietstorm
Thank you for the replies, guys
smily_headphones1.gif

*K81DJ is Temporarily Sold Out at buy.com (but i can wait a while, heh). it's a good price there.

Sometimes the AKG phones are even cheaper at buy.com.
I saw the K81DJ for $52 instead of $57 during one day only, about 2 weeks ago.
At the time, they were offering the K271S for $147 instead of $167.
I ordered the K271S for $147, they were backordered, but I got them yesterday.
I found those prices by pure luck, I was just looking around at buy.com.
All with free delivery.

Aug 30, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo
For the money you are willing to spend, AKG K26P, AKG K81DJ, Sennheiser HD280, Sennheiser HD-25, and Sony MDR V7506 are all viable options.

Are the HD-25 under $70 in usa!? They was 1995 sek here which is $276..

Aug 30, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 13
Another vote for the K26p. Decent isolation for their size and immensely portable with decent bass response without being too boomy or overpowering everything else. My only complaint is their fit. They seem to be easy (very easy) to shift around when on the go.

Aug 31, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #12 of 13
I know that the HD 25 SP is under 100 and has a decent rep. wasn't talking about the HD 25. Sorry, I thought you folks would assume which one I meant given the price point we were discussing. I also thought I might convince him to fudge it over $70 a little bit. in this price point, sometimes 20 dollars can make a difference, and you aren't gonna miss it in the long run...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back