Asking about Power Amps for speakers
Aug 29, 2008 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sdfx

Head-Fier
Hey guys well i was wondering, my Denon AL24 outputs 110 watts per channel to speakers and I believe it handles up to 7.1 channels, and I have 4 Snell E.5 Tower Speakers and one Snell PS10 Subwoofer. The 4 Snells use 200 watts, and my PS.10 I believe uses 300 Watts as stated here but being powered by 110-watts makes them sound weak so I was told I could by a power amplifier to give them more juice to make them sound how they are meant to sound, so I was wondering for a power amp I'd need like 1100 Watts at least to power the sub and the speakers. Does this sound right? If so any recommendations on power amps?

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 3
As long as you are not driving your speakers to the point that the amp clips, you are fine. The only reason you would need a more powerful amp is if you need to make your music louder that you are already playing it.

Just because your speakers are rated at 300 watts, does not need mean you need an amp that puts out 200 watts max.

If your sub is not a powered subwoofer, you may need a more powerful amp to drive it, depending on how loud you play it.

Aug 29, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdfx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys well i was wondering, my Denon AL24 outputs 110 watts per channel to speakers and I believe it handles up to 7.1 channels, and I have 4 Snell E.5 Tower Speakers and one Snell PS10 Subwoofer. The 4 Snells use 200 watts, and my PS.10 I believe uses 300 Watts as stated here but being powered by 110-watts makes them sound weak so I was told I could by a power amplifier to give them more juice to make them sound how they are meant to sound, so I was wondering for a power amp I'd need like 1100 Watts at least to power the sub and the speakers. Does this sound right? If so any recommendations on power amps?

There are some other forums which are better to handle this type of question (I know because I have been visiting a few myself), but that being said it seems Dennon is generous on their power ratings, meaning they give it more credit than its really able to output. I agree with you Dennon amps while are a good middle of the road amp they really leave off that sparkle I think your looking for. I cannot speak much to your home theatre setup as I only do pure audio systems, but I can recommend a few brands of amps that will bring your music up a notch or two. I presently use the SimAudio Moon amp and I know they make a theatre type amp. Considering how well the two channel I use is I would expect nothing but smiles from you on other amps from them. Not unlike headphones though synergy goes a long way and I would search around and see what others like with ur brand of speakers.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back