Ask me anything about the im716 (comparisons too)
Sep 1, 2006 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

1967cutlass

500+ Head-Fier
I've owned these:

Senn HD25-sp
Senn hd280 pro
Senn hd497 recabled

Grado sr-60
Grado sr-80
Grado sr-325

Koss ksc-35

Audio technica ATH-AD7

Beyerdynamic DT990 pro

Shure e2c
Shure e3c

Westone UM1

Sony MDR-v6

Now I've recently bought the im716.

Ask away...

Sep 1, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 22
How does the iM716 compare to the UM1? I just bought the UM1 and already I am getting upgrade-itis
tongue.gif

Sep 1, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 22
but won't crack the box until I try some Complys, Shure Softies and Super Duper Softies (another reason why these could never be confused with condoms) to see if these douse the flames ignited by the 616s which I bought at the same time thru Amazon. The 616s sound great but I've long since given up toasting marhsmallows on my fingertips so I'm unwilling now to start stabbing red hot darning needles into my ears. That's a very unfair statement since comfort is so subjective but the only reason I'm putting up with this madness is I hear intimations of greatness. I listen mostly to classical and the 616s have aire, clarity, and treble extension (could these all be the same?) which is refreshing to find in my first IEMs. They're cheap and I needed IEMs to mount on my headphone trophy wall, however, I was hoping to bag a gazelle and ended up with a leopard. But enough about me. With that long list of trophies where do they rank in your headphone hierarchy?

Sep 1, 2006 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5
but won't crack the box until I try some Complys, Shure Softies and Super Duper Softies (could never be confused with condoms)

Crack it open already

Quote:

...........The 616s sound great but I've long since given up toasting marhsmallows on my fingertips so I'm unwilling to start putting red hot darning needles in my ears now. .....

Shouldn't feel like that. Definitely need different tips.

Glad to hear you like these so much already, but if they're not comfortable, it's not an optimal seal. An optimal seal will really make these, and other IEMs, sound significantly better.

Experiment a little, and have some fun.

Sep 1, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1967cutlass
I've owned these:

Senn HD25-sp
Senn hd280 pro
Senn hd497 recabled

Grado sr-60
Grado sr-80
Grado sr-325

Koss ksc-35

Audio technica ATH-AD7

Beyerdynamic DT990 pro

Shure e2c
Shure e3c

Westone UM1

Sony MDR-v6

Now I've recently bought the im716.

Ask away...

How would you compare the 716 to the mdr v6, both unamped? Does the unamped v6 give better sq, in terms of accuracy and bass punch compared to grado sr60?

Thanks.

Sep 1, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 22
hey all, this is my first post, been a long time lurker,havent ended up posting...but this thread was too tempting, since im thinking of getting these cans....how would these compare to the v6's and the hd280(since those are two other cans im looking at). how durable are the im716's, do they come with different size tips. which other tips fit them, do they sound ok unamped out of a 5g ipod?
thanks in advance

Sep 2, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 22
Oh, I've a question. Was there any difference when you recabled your HD497s? Seems kind of like a waste to me at first glance, but if there was a difference, then I may give it a try.

*glances at dormant and neglected HD497s sitting on the floor tangled up in a CAT5e network cable*

Sep 2, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rapier84
How does the iM716 compare to the UM1? I just bought the UM1 and already I am getting upgrade-itis
tongue.gif

The im716 is definately a step up. The um1 seems to have a bit more bass I suppose, but the im716 is infinitely more balanced and has great highs compared to the um1. The um1 doesn't have much soundstage at all, the im716 does that a lot better as well. If you can, sell the um1's for the im716 and never look back. they are harder to drive, but unless you're nearly deaf they will get loud enough. The um1 is more comfortable and has much less microphonics. The um1 does tend to get tangled though, the im716 doesn't as much.

Sep 2, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

With that long list of trophies where do they rank in your headphone hierarchy?

I'll put my headphones in order of sound quality overall, best to worst.

Beyerdynamic DT990 pro - great overall
Senn hd280 pro - great but needs EQ
Grado sr-325 - very good, a bit harsh highs, fatiguing, heavy
Koss ksc-35 - excellent overall balance, bass heavy but clean
Audio technica ATH-AD7 - too light on bass even with eq
im716. -good overall, could use more bass
Senn hd497 recabled - good overall, no sonic issues
Grado sr-80 - muddy mid-low end, mediocre highs
Grado sr-60 - same as 80 but worse
Senn HD25-sp - alright overall, clean but mid-biased
Westone UM1 - all mids
Shure e3c - same as um1 but worse
Shure e2c - terrible highs, lots of bass with eq
Sony MDR-v6 - unacceptable highs, muddy mid-low end

Sep 2, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465
How would you compare the 716 to the mdr v6, both unamped? Does the unamped v6 give better sq, in terms of accuracy and bass punch compared to grado sr60?

Thanks.

The v6 is a terrible unbalanced headphone. The v6 has slightly more bass than the sr-60 but it isn't as clean. the im716 is better than either.

Sep 2, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mymindinside
hey all, this is my first post, been a long time lurker,havent ended up posting...but this thread was too tempting, since im thinking of getting these cans....how would these compare to the v6's and the hd280(since those are two other cans im looking at). how durable are the im716's, do they come with different size tips. which other tips fit them, do they sound ok unamped out of a 5g ipod?
thanks in advance

The im716 is not as good as the hd280. The hd280 isn't good for portability and is hard to drive unamped. The v6 is a waste of money. The im716 seem decently durable, about the same as shures. They come with one foamy set and one tri-flange. The foamies are better but too big for my ears. Neither tips are ideal IMO but the triflange does the job. For portability definately get the im716.

Sep 2, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by fmplautus
How would you compare the Senn 497 to the 716? How about the shure E2c as well?

The 497 and im716 are both good. If you don't need isolation or comfort, get the 497 because it's cheaper and sounds fine. The e2c is not nearly as good as the im716, unless you only listen to rap music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back