ASIO4all not working right
Jun 5, 2008 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

deadman_uk

Head-Fier
Hi, I use to use ASIO4all along with my Creative Soundblaster x-fi XtremeMusic and foobar. It worked great, however now I've moved to Vista, it's not working well (if at all).

When I go to ASIO4ALL control panel, the "in" under SB X-fi Audio is always green (running) but sometimes the "out" is unavaible. I have foobar playing music now as I speak and the "out" is unavaible, but 5 minutes ago it was green (running).

When I go to the ASIO4all settings in the output tab inside foobar, there use to be 2 items listed in XP. I use to do a sound test and one of them use to play a hissing sound in my left speaker, and the other the right speaker. I use to set one option to left, and the other to right, but now I have 8 options listed here. Sometimes I can do a soundtest and hear hissing sounds and sometimes I cannot. How can I set the left and right channel if I have 8 options?

Any ideas? Thanks

Jun 5, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadman_uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I use to use ASIO4all along with my Creative Soundblaster x-fi XtremeMusic and foobar. It worked great, however now I've moved to Vista, it's not working well (if at all).

When I go to ASIO4ALL control panel, the "in" under SB X-fi Audio is always green (running) but sometimes the "out" is unavaible. I have foobar playing music now as I speak and the "out" is unavaible, but 5 minutes ago it was green (running).

When I go to the ASIO4all settings in the output tab inside foobar, there use to be 2 items listed in XP. I use to do a sound test and one of them use to play a hissing sound in my left speaker, and the other the right speaker. I use to set one option to left, and the other to right, but now I have 8 options listed here. Sometimes I can do a soundtest and hear hissing sounds and sometimes I cannot. How can I set the left and right channel if I have 8 options?

Any ideas? Thanks

Yeah, I've got some. First one is that you don't really need to use ASIO4All in Vista if you are planning on using it for playback purposes only. It doesn't really make a difference any more. (or isn't supposed to make a difference)

In case you want to use it anyway I'll answer your questions.

The "unavailable" sign is a bug in ASIO4All. I think they fixed it in the beta version they're offering. You should check that out if it bothers you. It doesn't really matter though and most likely it is working like it's supposed to.

What to do with 8 options? It's a good question. Less is more!
tongue.gif
You should pick the first ones I think. 1st left and 2nd right. Or 1st right and 2nd left. It's what you want. If you really want you could set the 7th as left and the 3rd as right. Options, options, options. Too bad about all these options is that it really doesn't matter what you pick.

That said. I think the first thing I said is the most important here. It doesn't make an audible difference on Vista any more.

Cheers.

Jun 5, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 4
Oh really? thanks for the information. So you suggest I just don't use ASIO at all now? It doesn't make any audible difference in Vista? Is this because of how Vista plays audio compared to XP?

Any recommended settings I should enable in Foobar to get the best sound I possible can with my MP3's and FLAC's?

Jun 7, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadman_uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this because of how Vista plays audio compared to XP?

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back