ASIO?
Jul 6, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #16 of 30
Thanks for all the great info guys..I was actualy going to was acctualy going to ask if there was a way to stop hearing the "window's noises" while listening through a DAC...and now I know. I'll be getting a WinAmp ASIO plugin tonight after work..I there any that are better than others? Also I have to check to make sure my Card has AISO capabilities (HP onboard with coax. in/out)..??

Jul 7, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #17 of 30
So I got ASIO 4 All but I dont think it's working with my system....If anyone can help me out PLEASE PM me...

Oh and my sound card is a Realtek HD...

Jul 7, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Sorry, but I've searched these boards to no help and googled to get some technical pap.
wink.gif

I've been hearing all about ASIO in loads of threads, but no one says what it is. What is it?
580smile.gif

The specs on my soundcard say ASIO 2.0

Don't forget any good answers will help more than me. When someone searches for 'ASIO' this thread will come up.

If your sound card says ASIO, then all you need is the .dll plug-in for Foobar2000. Once you have stored this in Foobar "Components" folder and restarted Foobar, you wil see the windows appear in output preferences in Foobar. Then you need to select the ASIO output there and configure the ASIO output to show your sound card.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Manufacturer

Jul 7, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but the Juli@ also supports ASIO without using ASIO4All.

Is there a way to tell if my card suports ASIO? (realtek HD)

Jul 8, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #21 of 30
wait, so all this talk about soundcard ASIO support is ONLY if you want to output an analog signal right?

in other words, would any of this matter if all i wanted was a clean digital signal out of my computer via USB to a HagUSB USB-to-SPDIF convertor?

Jul 8, 2006 at 12:29 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
wait, so all this talk about soundcard ASIO support is ONLY if you want to output an analog signal right?

in other words, would any of this matter if all i wanted was a clean digital signal out of my computer via USB to a HagUSB USB-to-SPDIF convertor?

Nope, a bitperfect signal will output a digital signal, i.e. it will come out of optical or co-axial, which are digital-outs.

The audio files are stored on your HDD in a digital format. It makes sense to let an external DAC convert them, instead of XP messing with them first.

Jul 8, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Nope, a bitperfect signal will output a digital signal, i.e. it will come out of optical or co-axial, which are digital-outs.

The audio files are stored on your HDD in a digital format. It makes sense to let an external DAC convert them, instead of XP messing with them first.

um, actually i don't think you're answered my question at all - read my original post again.

Jul 8, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

It matters in both cases. The data stream is changed to analog AFTER Windows Kmixer has a effect on it. It is best to avoid Kmixer by using ASIO, period..

Jul 8, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-side J
Is there a way to tell if my card suports ASIO? (realtek HD)

Some of them tell in the release number shown in the driver or in the control panel for the driver, such as the Transit.

Jul 8, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

um, actually i don't think you're answered my question at all - read my original post again.

but you said ' wait, so all this talk about soundcard ASIO support is ONLY if you want to output an analog signal right?

That is completely wrong. ASIO outputs a digital signal.

Jul 10, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

but you said ' wait, so all this talk about soundcard ASIO support is ONLY if you want to output an analog signal right?

That is completely wrong. ASIO outputs a digital signal.

It is correct that what comes out of ASIO is a digital signal. The confusion is likely from the fact that some people use ASIO to get a bit-perfect input to the sound-card's on-board DAC (like the AV710's wolfson DAC for example), which the result would be an analog output converted from a bit-perfect digital signal.

Sep 27, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick
It is correct that what comes out of ASIO is a digital signal. The confusion is likely from the fact that some people use ASIO to get a bit-perfect input to the sound-card's on-board DAC (like the AV710's wolfson DAC for example), which the result would be an analog output converted from a bit-perfect digital signal.

Sorry to bump an older thread, but this gets to the root of a question of mind. With an internal soundcard as a DAC, in this case the Echo Indigo DJ, I would be getting a digital signal to the Indigo DJ, which then converts to an analog signal to my amp and to my headphones. Is ASIO/Foobar still worth it in this case? Will I still be receiving a true "bitperfect" sound quality without all the beeps and whistles and clicks in my laptop?

Sep 27, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #30 of 30
Absolutely. ASIO has nothing to do with analog vs. digital. It is just a sound API that lets you send sound samples to channels on a sound card that can be either analog or digital outputs. For the fun of it you could send the right channel to a digital out and the left channel to an analog output.

It is worth using ASIo for an analog out if you want a bit perfect signal converted.

Cheers

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back