ASIO(x-fi, foobar) and gaming
Jul 31, 2006 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kaluminati

Head-Fier
Recently I switched from using Kernel Streaming to using ASIO output in Foobar. For some reason, ASIO sounds much clearer and brighter that KS was sounding. I am definetly sticking with ASIO. I run it in ACM, bit-matched playback with 44.1.

Problem is, when I'm playing music with ASIO, unlike KS, playing games like WoW is very choppy. Even moving from different programs it goes a bit slower than normal. Foobar uses about 20k of ram while playing through ASIO.

I'm using the latest foobar/columnsui/asio plugin. My x-fi platinum drivers are all current.

Is there something might try messing with to fix this? Aside from not using ASIO or not playing games while listening to music :p I'm not too familiar with ASIO and what type of settings I should be using etc.

specs:
AMD x2 3800 Dual core CPU
2GB corsair XMS performance ram
75GB raptor
6800GT
X-fi platinum

Jul 31, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaluminati
Recently I switched from using Kernel Streaming to using ASIO output in Foobar. For some reason, ASIO sounds much clearer and brighter that KS was sounding. I am definetly sticking with ASIO. I run it in ACM, bit-matched playback with 44.1.

Problem is, when I'm playing music with ASIO, unlike KS, playing games like WoW is very choppy. Even moving from different programs it goes a bit slower than normal. Foobar uses about 20k of ram while playing through ASIO.

I'm using the latest foobar/columnsui/asio plugin. My x-fi platinum drivers are all current.

Is there something might try messing with to fix this? Aside from not using ASIO or not playing games while listening to music :p I'm not too familiar with ASIO and what type of settings I should be using etc.

specs:
AMD x2 3800 Dual core CPU
2GB corsair XMS performance ram
75GB raptor
6800GT
X-fi platinum

Switch to Foobar 8.3 I found nothing but problems with 9.x (with ASIO). No problems playing WoW and listening to music ever.

Jul 31, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
Switch to Foobar 8.3 I found nothing but problems with 9.x (with ASIO). No problems playing WoW and listening to music ever.

I assume that I'd have to get older versions of the components I need? (columns, Albums list, trackinfo etc.)

If so do any of you know of a site that has such things, so I don't have to search endlessley to find all of it? I really appreciate all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back