ASIO vs. Kernel Streaming
Jun 16, 2005 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

Patu

Headphoneus Supremus
I used search but I couldn't find any thread concidering just this subject.

I have had some problems with ASIO. I can hear distortion in sound now and then. It's kind of "crackling" sound. Damn I don't know the word. Sometimes it works fine like on the today morning but now I must use Kernel Streaming cause ASIO gives that "crackling" sound.

Kernel Streaming has worked fine always. Only minus is that with Kernel Streaming music stops if you e.g. open some advertise on net page which has sounds.

I'm not sure can I hear any differences between these two.

What do you say?

Jun 16, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 57
I increased it 7 --> 30. Can't spot the crackling sound but I'll report if it appears again.

What would be optimal buffer size?

EDIT: Now the sound appeared again. Right after I posted this message. Damn, back to KS.

Jun 16, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 57
if working properly, both of them will give the same results.. ASIO is completely independent audio interface with no bounds to the Windows sound system.. it is aimed at proffesional sphere, where latency means everything, that's why all those buffer size and count options.. lower buffer means lower latencies, but higher probability of dropouts at the same time.. optimum balance has to be found for each perticular system, however for us, who only want to playback and don't care about latencies, the general rule of thumb is to set considerably large buffer size, buffer count can help sometimes but it's always better to start with larger buffer before increasing buffer count.. Kernel Streaming on the other hand cannot be customised and it is the cleanest path for the audio using Windows's own sound system..

Jun 16, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 57
Can you set the ASIO buffer or latency in your soundcard control panel at all?

In foobar and winamp I leave the ASIO buffer set to 7, but in my soundcards control panel I can set my soundcard latency to from 64 up to 2668.

When I first got the card I had some crackling sound using ASIO so I set it to the max and it all seems perfect. Have any other M-Audio users done a similar thing?

Jun 16, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordgibbness
Can you set the ASIO buffer or latency in your soundcard control panel at all?

No I can't. Juli@'s control panel has pretty limited options.

Now I'm again using ASIO with buffer size of 45. It works fine for now.

It seems that when I use KS for a while and then change back to ASIO it works fine for little time and then that crackling sound comes back.

But this all is pretty offtopic.
600smile.gif

EDIT: Crackling just keeps coming. Hmph.

Jun 16, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Crackling just keeps coming. Hmph.

You're not resampling are you - that can make it break up when your cpu can't cope. You're probably not, but just wondering?

Jun 16, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 57
the numbers you are setting in foobar's ASIO plugin is not buffer size but buffer count, that's what application can set while buffer size is what host/drivers can set and yes, you can set buffer size for any soundcard that supports ASIO interface.. the larger buffer the less problems, the higher latency.. for E-MU cards there is the strange thing that you can't access the settings from the PatchMix, you have to access them through some ASIO application like WaveLab and such, from there you can call up the E-MU ASIO buffer size setting utility..

Jun 16, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordgibbness
You're not resampling are you - that can make it break up when your cpu can't cope. You're probably not, but just wondering?

No I'm not. First I expereinced problems just because of resampling but now it's disabled.

I think I'll try ASIO again tomorrow. Maybe a good old reboot works.

600smile.gif

Good night.

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #11 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
the numbers you are setting in foobar's ASIO plugin is not buffer size but buffer count, that's what application can set while buffer size is what host/drivers can set and yes, you can set buffer size for any soundcard that supports ASIO interface.. the larger buffer the less problems, the higher latency.. for E-MU cards there is the strange thing that you can't access the settings from the PatchMix, you have to access them through some ASIO application like WaveLab and such, from there you can call up the E-MU ASIO buffer size setting utility..

Which means, Patu, try and find a way to increase the latency of your Juli@
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:56 AM Post #12 of 57
it's under the second item in the menubar of Juli@ control panel, Latency settings or the like, a submenu with numberf from maybe 32 up to some 2048 will appear, set something like 1024 or even more..

Jun 17, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #13 of 57
Yes I found that latency control.

I thought first that you meant "Can you set the ASIO buffer or ASIO latency..."

Okay I'll try with different latencies. Thanks.

Jun 17, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #14 of 57
This forum is full of people who use computer as their main source.

Tell us your opinions! Which one is better?

Jun 17, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #15 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
This forum is full of people who use computer as their main source.

Tell us your opinions! Which one is better?

I think it's the best way to play back music by far! All your music in one place and really quick to pick and choose what to play. Also with a good soundcard it sounds as good as seperate cd players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back