ASIO Proxy 0.9.2 "Sample & Hold"?
Sep 24, 2016 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

GCTD

100+ Head-Fier

Clicking on it gives me these options:

So I'm playing around with the audio and trying out DSD support of my DAC (Gustard DAC X-12) and I followed old tutorials for Foobar2000, since then ASIOProxy has seen some significant changes including the UI. One entry that I'm not familiar with is "Sample and Hold". I tried to look up the term but only came out scratching my head even more. Does anyone know what this feature is for?

Please and thank you.

Sep 24, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 3
Sample and hold is a method of interpolation, also called zero-order interpolation. Other kinds would be first order/linear, polynomial, sinc, etc. They are algorithms used to convert one sample rate to another. Sample and hold is the simplest method you can imagine for converting one sample rate to a higher one. If it's doing 8x resamping for instance, it would take each sample and duplicate it 8 times.

Here I found a post that seems to be the developer explaining how the PCM to DSD conversion is done.

Quote: https://sourceforge.net/p/sacddecoder/feature-requests/22/
  • Linear interpolation of PCM to DSDXXX / 8.
  • "Sample and Hold" (zero order 8x interpolation) of up-sampled PCM to DSDXXX.
  • SDM of PCM. A good reference with source code is: Derk Reefman and Erwin Janssen "Signal processing for Direct Stream Digital".

Is that a setting you can choose? I'd say just leave it as is, it should choose the appropriate method of re sampling on its own.

Sep 25, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 3
  Sample and hold is a method of interpolation, also called zero-order interpolation. Other kinds would be first order/linear, polynomial, sinc, etc. They are algorithms used to convert one sample rate to another. Sample and hold is the simplest method you can imagine for converting one sample rate to a higher one. If it's doing 8x resamping for instance, it would take each sample and duplicate it 8 times.

Here I found a post that seems to be the developer explaining how the PCM to DSD conversion is done.

Is that a setting you can choose? I'd say just leave it as is, it should choose the appropriate method of re sampling on its own.

Thanks for your help, I'm still unclear of the feature but I appreciate your efforts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back