ASIO playback -> inability to play audiobooks?
Jul 4, 2006 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

alex_cs

100+ Head-Fier
hey all,

im running winamp with asio output (fyi you cant turn the output on and off with a switch it seems, only uninstall the plugin), and sometimes want to play audiobooks on mp3, and when i go to play this files winamp pauses and doesnt play them. its odd, becasue spoken word ripped to hdd from a cd works, but not these downloaded audiobooks.

is there some feature of ASIO that makes it incompatible with audiobooks, or is it a weird winamp bug?

thanks for any ideas.

Jul 5, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_cs
hey all,

im running winamp with asio output (fyi you cant turn the output on and off with a switch it seems, only uninstall the plugin), and sometimes want to play audiobooks on mp3, and when i go to play this files winamp pauses and doesnt play them. its odd, becasue spoken word ripped to hdd from a cd works, but not these downloaded audiobooks.

is there some feature of ASIO that makes it incompatible with audiobooks, or is it a weird winamp bug?

thanks for any ideas.

? Uninstall plug-in ? Which plugin? If you mean ASIO plugin, just go to Options-->Preferences-->Output and select the output plugin you want to use-->configuer-->close and restart playback (or Winamp).

Could it be samplerate issue?
What the Winamp display (~kHz) reports the samplerate being?
Have you tried enable resampling (Options-->Preferences-->Output-->select ASIO plugin,-->Configure-->Enable Resampling (as for example, 48 kHz is needed for soundblaster)?

jiitee

Jul 5, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 3
I'd also suspect a case of unsupported sample rate. ASIO4All should support rates of 22.05 and 32 kHz in halfway recent versions, older ones didn't. The WDM driver also has to provide the sample rate, the Aureon Sky/Space driver doesn't allow 88.2 kHz except via native ASIO for example.

Incidentally, using another output plugin on the fly is entirely possible, just select another in the output plugins list. It will be used after stopping and restarting playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back