ASIO On X-Fi Prelude Not Working..
Feb 15, 2008 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

FarFromCentre

Head-Fier
How do I get ASIO to work over my digital S/PDIF out connection? I have my D3 DAC hooked up to it via an optical cable. I have tried just about everything, I've already set the default device to to S/PDIF output. I was in Audio Creation Mode this entire time. In both J River Media Center and Foobar2000, they both recognized the ASIO driver, but when I play a file, no sound comes out. However, when I switch either of those two applications to DirectSound, they work just fine and keep in mind that this is still over a digital connection. The odd thing is that ASIO works when I change the output device to my analogue output to my speakers in both applications. Then I thought ASIO4ALL might do the trick so I installed it and found out that it recognized the S/PDIF output, but it said it was unavailable, however it did recognize the X-Fi Prelude, I have no idea whether the S/PDIF and the X-Fi Prelude were supposed to by recognized as two separate devices... Next I opened up the audio console and found out another surprise, when I switched to the ASIO tab I could see audio playing visually through the monitor but I could not hear it. I also tried setting different output formats (such as 16, 24, 32 bit and 44.1K, 96K, 48K sample rates) from each application at matching it with what was set in the Vista settings and in the Audio Console. At this point I thought it might be an issue with windows, so I disabled the X-Fi Prelude and restarted my computer. I enabled my onboard sound from within my BIOS and booted up again. Since my onboard audio has optical S/PDIF out I decided to see if it would work. I configured ASIO in both applications and it worked perfectly, although I had to use ASIO4ALL, so this would rule out the possibility that this would be a Windows related problem. I have been trying to fix this issue for several hours and I cannot find a fix. If you know if this is a common issue or can help me in anyway I'd greatly appreciate it.

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 12
Sounds like a hardware problem somewhere.... try reinstalling the latest Prelude drivers, make sure whatever the player you're using is set to asio, and using prelude as asio playback device.

If all else fails.... must be a hardware problem somewhere down the chain.

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 12
I got a reply from Auzentech saying that this was a known issue and it will be fixed in a new driver release coming out a few weeks. I guess I'll have to wait until, my new setup still sounds amazing with Directsound anyways
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 12
When I connect my Headroom Balanced Desktop with DAC via Toslink it works perfectly fine but my Preludes Audio Console SPDIF/IO and Digital Out Sampling Rates are greyed out.

Does anyone know if this is normal? I get great sound from my setup but just want to know if it's working as good as it can.

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 12
Maybe this is so called "bit-matched" mode you have there ... output settings are made automatically by the source ... try by changing the data from one to other (e.g. 44.1kHz - 96 kHz) ... does everything work well.

jiitee

Feb 18, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FarFromCentre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it will be fixed in a new driver release coming out a few weeks

Any other hints at fixes/features added in the new drivers?

Feb 18, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuwidol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any other hints at fixes/features added in the new drivers?

There are new drivers coming out this week, but it won't fix the ASIO issue, they didn't mention any other features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back