ASIO needed?
Dec 23, 2006 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

nick77

100+ Head-Fier
Newbee here looking for advise. I have a Emu 1212 sound card and wav files with Winamp to the digital out and it sounds terrific but I keep hearing that for best results you need to bypass windows kmixer errr something. Then I went to a ASIO download and it said that Winamp direct sound is low latency and ASIO isnt necessary. I am feeding this into my midgrade HKavr and nice tower speakers. Can I futher improve on the sound I am getting???
Thanks

Dec 24, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 3
meh, i dont really know. I use kernel streaming in foobar2k and i dont really hear much of a difference at all compared to directsound. I still use it but i dont know if anything is different. I guess it would depend on your hardware configuration. If you have very good and revealing equipment then you will probably hear a subtle difference, otherwise it doesnt really matter that much. ASIO is used primarily for people who make music because it is very low latency, which is what you want if you are hitting a keyboard. you dont want to hear any delays.

Dec 24, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 3
It's not going to cost you any money to download an ASIO output plug-in and test yourself.

I can tell the difference with ASIO.

But kernel streaming... I doubt actually works in the majority of cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back