ASIO EXE & DLL versions
Feb 14, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
I think the difference is one comes with an installer and the other is just the files (I'm not 100% positive though).

Sounds about right - One's just the dynamic link library you have to install in the correct place yourself and the other contains an executable that does the donkey work for you!
tongue.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 10
Neither is self installing. I'm not sure of the inner workings of either, but the difference I know is that if you use the exe version there is an extra option (process priority) and the exe runs while you are using foobar. There no general way of saying one is better than the other. For some people one simply won't work and the other will. In my case unless I use the exe version with Process Priority set to Realtime I get terrible static during playback.

Feb 16, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 10
I have both the versions running happily.
I do find that the dll version can help where the CPU cycles might be at a premium. On the other hand the exe version does not suffer from the breakups which the dll version experiences upon starting other programs. this of course depends on CPU speed. The celeron in the crappier machine struggles. The prescott doesn't even blink in the main rig.

Feb 16, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 10
They SOUND the same.

The differences may be for your system in how well it runs, try one, if you get problems like static or skipping or a lot of cpu usage try the other. I use the EXE version because I have never had any troubles with it.

Feb 17, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
I have both the versions running happily.
I do find that the dll version can help where the CPU cycles might be at a premium. On the other hand the exe version does not suffer from the breakups which the dll version experiences upon starting other programs. this of course depends on CPU speed. The celeron in the crappier machine struggles. The prescott doesn't even blink in the main rig.

I use the DLL version and I've only had it breakup when the CPU is under extream load for long periods of time (i.e. once in a blue moon). I'm running an Athlon XP 1900+ on a Soyo Dragon+ mobo with 512MB PC2100 RAM. Soundcard is listed in my sig.

Feb 17, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 10
I use the DLL version and am able to play CS:S or HL2 with foobar via asio in the background - hasn't skipped a beat! (P4 3ghz)

Feb 17, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #10 of 10
I've only used the DLL version, and I don't get skips or static. If you do, you have either A) hardware latency issues or conflicts, or B) a slow CPU.

I am running an Athlon 2100+ XP on an Asrock K7VM2 rev. 1, 1gig RAM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back