ASIO and kernel streaming
May 23, 2007 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

afton

100+ Head-Fier
Wow so many new stuff to learn here....
smily_headphones1.gif

I've come across a few threads discussing about ASIO and
kernel streaming? What are these, are they some kind of
Winamp plugins to improve the sound quality?

May 23, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by afton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow so many new stuff to learn here....
smily_headphones1.gif

I've come across a few threads discussing about ASIO and
kernel streaming? What are these, are they some kind of
Winamp plugins to improve the sound quality?

You can either check my signature or search.
wink.gif

May 24, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #3 of 4
As far as I understand it, ASIO is a Steinberg-developed method for hardware-accelerated access to your soundcard's resources. Useful if you're a producer using a DAW or you just like hardware-accelerated audio (maybe brings you some benefits depending on what audio I/O you have in your machine). If you're using apps like Cubase / Reason / Ableton FLStudio and you're running them in software emu mode, it'll suck up a load of extra CPU whereas with ASIO if your hardware supports it you can offload some of the processing onto the hardware's inbuilt processors, get a lower latency during input and output operations, etc etc.

I know of kernel streaming, and know it's all to do with bypassing Windows' built-in kmixer for audio output to get a better (more accurate) representation of the audio coming out of your machine, but I couldn't give a really detailed and 100% accurate description of it without making a mistake somewhere so I'll leave that to people who are more knowledgeable about it
wink.gif

May 24, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I understand it, ASIO is a Steinberg-developed method for hardware-accelerated access to your soundcard's resources. Useful if you're a producer using a DAW or you just like hardware-accelerated audio (maybe brings you some benefits depending on what audio I/O you have in your machine). If you're using apps like Cubase / Reason / Ableton FLStudio and you're running them in software emu mode, it'll suck up a load of extra CPU whereas with ASIO if your hardware supports it you can offload some of the processing onto the hardware's inbuilt processors, get a lower latency during input and output operations, etc etc.

I know of kernel streaming, and know it's all to do with bypassing Windows' built-in kmixer for audio output to get a better (more accurate) representation of the audio coming out of your machine, but I couldn't give a really detailed and 100% accurate description of it without making a mistake somewhere so I'll leave that to people who are more knowledgeable about it
wink.gif

Completely correct. If you want more info I would like to point to the thread in my signature again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back