Asgard w/ Hifiman Sundaras not much louder than..
Feb 27, 2022 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bykhoff

Head-Fier
So, I just got the Schiit Asgard 3 because I felt my JDS Amp+ wasn't giving enough juice to my Sundara headphones. On some tracks I needed the knob turned almost all the way to get quite bits of certain tracks loud enough.

The interesting thing is that I just got the Asgard today, plugged it in, set it to high gain and it isn't much louder.

I'm a bit disappointed. Does anyone have a similar experience?

P.S. I have it plugged in directly to my iMac.

Feb 27, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 6
What input volume do you have set on your iMAC? Turn that up to 100% and double check you don’t have a volume level set. You should be able to get the volume so loud that you cannot stand it.

Feb 27, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 6
So, I just got the Schiit Asgard 3 because I felt my JDS Amp+ wasn't giving enough juice to my Sundara headphones. On some tracks I needed the knob turned almost all the way to get quite bits of certain tracks loud enough.

The interesting thing is that I just got the Asgard today, plugged it in, set it to high gain and it isn't much louder.

I'm a bit disappointed. Does anyone have a similar experience?

P.S. I have it plugged in directly to my iMac.

Use high gain mode - look for the switch in the front [Edit - I forgot the Asgard 3 has the high gain switch in the front - I do apologize ] - move it to the up position. That's the most likely reason. Also, yes, make sure your mac volume is set to all the way up.

hammers

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 6
What input volume do you have set on your iMAC? Turn that up to 100% and double check you don’t have a volume level set. You should be able to get the volume so loud that you cannot stand it.
Thanks for replying. Yes, the volume at a 100%. I'm not eq'ing my headphones. At high gain, it gets extremely (though not obscenely) loud at around 5-6 o'clock. At 12 o'clock on high gain, it's essentially equal to the volume from the iMac's volume at 100%. It's appreciably louder at 2-3 o'clock.

Feb 27, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 6
Use high gain mode - look for the switch in the front [Edit - I forgot the Asgard 3 has the high gain switch in the front - I do apologize ] - move it to the up position. That's the most likely reason. Also, yes, make sure your mac volume is set to all the way up.

hammers
Yes, I'd done that from the start. I listen to classical, which is generally recorded at a significantly lower volume that Rock or Pop. I'm satisfied, but I wish I was getting a more noticeable boost in volume (with a larger amount of headroom). I should've read this earlier, but apparently you need 10 times the power to double the volume output. The Asgard is 3 times as powerful as the JDS atom at 32 ohms, so I guess the difference in volume I'm getting is predictable.

Mar 6, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 6
output voltage is the key here. if i plug my Asgard 3 into my OPPO A74 its not very loud but if i plug my Fiio X3II DAP line out in its a lot louder. the Asgard 3 struggles to power 600r headphones but has loads of power for 32-150r. my DT-900 ProX are 48r high sensitivity and i use low gain at 1-4oclock depending on recording. on high gain its about 9-11oclock.

if you have some cash to spend then get a DAC with a high line out voltage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back