Asgard, Valhalla, or Lyr?
Jul 2, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #16 of 37
One thing to bear in mind with the Lyr is the drastic effect tubes have on the sound. It's a shame that a lot of people seem to have drawn conclusions based just on the stock configuration.

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #17 of 37

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. That about seals it - Asgaard it is.

“Asgaard”? Make this Asgard, please, although Headphonia consequently mis-spelled the name throughout its review :)

Werner.

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #18 of 37
Still kind of developing my rig.  I have an E7 and am primarily listening to AD700 with plans on getting the M50.  Would getting the Asgard and using my E7 (with the LOD) be silly or should I wait until I can also buy the Bifrost?  Or buy the Bifrost and and use the E7 as an amp?  I think I'm planning on buying both at some time but wondering which I should purchase first.  

May 10, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #20 of 37
Sorry to barge in but I just have to ask this question. I have recently upgraded to Hifiman He-400, which is obs planar-magnetic phones, is it better to use Tube-amps like Lyr or Valhalla for planar-magnetic phones like the He-400 or is the Asgard good enough itself? 

(

May 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #21 of 37
I have the Asgard and Grado , very good. I have also been thinking about buying the HE-400, they should be fine with the Asgard. If I were to move up to the HE-500 I think I would pick up a Lyr.

May 13, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #22 of 37
Personally, I think that any of these headphone amps for the SR80i's is a bit much. :p In reality, the asgard is the only reasonable choice for a headphone with such low impedance. (Though I'm not a fan of SS amps in any fashion... I think it's the best amp listed for your needs if you feel you need an amp. :p)

@Skiam, I would recommend the Lyr by far. Not only does it put out more power, stays cooler, and has bright, glowing tubes, but it also can be altered very easily with tube rolling. If you don't like the stock sound signature of the Asgard, you're stuck with it. The lyr can be altered quite a bit with tube rolling. (WARNING: Tube-rolling with the 6dj8 variants can become much more expensive than you would ever anticipate.)

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #23 of 37
Hi,

I'm a noob... And I would like to purchase one of these Schiits.  I have these headphones(+ 1 iem) listed below. Which will be likely the best for me?

AKG Q701 (62 ohms)
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A  (42 ohms)
Pioneer HDJ-2000  (36 ohms)
Monster Turbine Pro Gold (no idea, but it's iem...)

Q701 was my first respectable can. I used to sit and "study" the music. I was really impressed. But  nowadays, the Q is collecting dust. I finding out that  I like a little more bass than what Q offers. More importantly,  I'm starting to not wanting to hear every little detail. I just want to enjoy the music, not sit there and analyze. I'm a noob, sorry, so I don't know all the lingo. I guess I'm trying to say that I'm starting to like everything to be smooth.

Currently, my fave is MTP Gold, probably because nothing is harsh...

Oh, and I have Headroom Total BitHead. Really, on high or low gain, I don't hear anything special.

What should I do?

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:
Hi,

I'm a noob... And I would like to purchase one of these Schiits.  I have these headphones(+ 1 iem) listed below. Which will be likely the best for me?

AKG Q701 (62 ohms)
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A  (42 ohms)
Pioneer HDJ-2000  (36 ohms)
Monster Turbine Pro Gold (no idea, but it's iem...)

Q701 was my first respectable can. I used to sit and "study" the music. I was really impressed. But  nowadays, the Q is collecting dust. I finding out that  I like a little more bass than what Q offers. More importantly,  I'm starting to not wanting to hear every little detail. I just want to enjoy the music, not sit there and analyze. I'm a noob, sorry, so I don't know all the lingo. I guess I'm trying to say that I'm starting to like everything to be smooth.

Currently, my fave is MTP Gold, probably because nothing is harsh...

Oh, and I have Headroom Total BitHead. Really, on high or low gain, I don't hear anything special.

What should I do?

Depends

What music do you listen to?
How often do you listen and for what purpose?
What DAC do you have?
How do you feel about your other headphones?
How much would you be willing to spend?

Oct 30, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #25 of 37
Replying back to Nirvana Woman,

What music do you listen to? ---mostly lounge/chill, all kinds of seventies stuff,   a little jazz & classical
How often do you listen and for what purpose?--- I need 20-30 min. a day, to decompress and relax at night
What DAC do you have?  ---I'm told my bithead has a built-in DAC, but what hiss? The ringing in my ears are louder...
How do you feel about your other headphones? ---I really like my Pioneer & Turbine Gold, the other two....I don't know why, but I just don't reach for them.
How much would you be willing to spend?---$300 tp $500, maybe? Look, as a rookie, my ears may not pick up all that much....

Oct 30, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #26 of 37
Jason with Schiit just replied back. These are are FAST when it comes to getting back to you....

So, for me, looks like Asgard will do just fine. Just placed an order. Happy.

Muaaahh hah hah hah....

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #27 of 37
Hey guys, I'm just going to jump in here.  I'm looking to buy the HE-400s for a bit of variety and I'm not sure how to work on my build. I've currently got the Total Bithead DAC/AMP from headroom, and I'm pretty pleased with it's performance (and price). But I need to build up a desktop rig, so is the Bithead a good enough DAC? Also, I'm looking for an amp within the 300-400 dollar range, like a Schiit, that can compliment the HE-400s, and preferable the DT 770 Pro 80 Ohms too.  Thanks guys.

EDIT: It's come to my attention that the HE-4s are only $50 more, so would they be worth buying? Same questions apply to these as well. Again, thanks.

Nov 23, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:
One thing to bear in mind with the Lyr is the drastic effect tubes have on the sound. It's a shame that a lot of people seem to have drawn conclusions based just on the stock configuration.

+1

I got the Valhalla,I´ve done some tube rolling and I guess I found out the best sound for me without any volume distortion.... The Amperex 6jd6 are doing an excellent job. Even the K702 lacks of punch bass and detail mids. These tubes correct and give you a better response.  Now I Just receive a pair ot telefunken ECC88 and will receive a HD-650 next week, I will hear if there was a better improvement on both cans.

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #30 of 37
Mike-Mex: I'll be keen on your observations as I am in the boat, with HD650's and trying to decide on an AMP. Is it that the LYR isn't suitable for the HD650's?

@nerworkn : hi there, that´s a great question, I guess all depends on what type of sound would you like to hear, let´s put it in this way, with Lyr you can get a input tube sound, but the Valhalla gives you also that output tube feeling... maybe it wont be that detectable but you´ll be sure you get a full tube amplification sound, IMO with these cans (k702 and HD650) I rather go completely tube!

And when I get the money enough I will go with an amp that can give me both low & high impedance and with only a set of input tubes...

I´ll post my observations once I get the HD650 ... but right now I found a real improvement using the amperex tubes... at the end the coolest thing about amp tubes is the opportunity to experiment with different tubes, and no get the endless stock sound on the others.

Cheers mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back