Asgard 2 vs Magni 2 Uber
Jun 7, 2016 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ChrisP3

Previously known as slicerblade
Hey fellas looking for a clean solid state amplifier to pair with my modi 2 + wyrd. Lurking around the other threads I've heard people say that the M2U kinda makes the A2 obsolete and that with a AB switch most wouldn't be able to notice any sonic differences. On the other hand hometheaterhifi measured the FR of the A2 and showed it's flat clean nature while no-one has measured the M2U. 

Anyways has anyone had the chance to listen to both or, even better, AB the two?

Thanks

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 5
  Hey fellas looking for a clean solid state amplifier to pair with my modi 2 + wyrd. Lurking around the other threads I've heard people say that the M2U kinda makes the A2 obsolete and that with a AB switch most wouldn't be able to notice any sonic differences. On the other hand hometheaterhifi measured the FR of the A2 and showed it's flat clean nature while no-one has measured the M2U. 

Anyways has anyone had the chance to listen to both or, even better, AB the two?

Thanks

Both are very flat amplifiers.
The Asgard 2 might be a tiny bit warmer, but both are similar in the big scheme of things (and similar to other well engineered SS amps)
I would probably pick the Magni2U for darkish headphones like most Audeze, HD600/HD650,...
And Asgard 2 for brighter headphones like HE560, T1, K702, Beyers, ...

Asgard 2 has 5 years warranty while Magni2U has 2 years.

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 5
Here are the measurements of both.

Magni 2 Uber
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-250KHz, -3dB
THD: Less than 0.002%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS
IMD: Less than 0.003%, CCIF
SNR: Greater than 104db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS
Crosstalk: -70dB, 20 Hz-20KHz

Asgard 2
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-400KHz, -3dB
THD: Less than 0.008%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS, high gain mode (worst case)
IMD: Less than 0.010%, CCIF at 1V RMS, high gain mode (worst case)
SNR: More than 102db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS, in low gain mode
Crosstalk: Less than -72dB, 20Hz-20KHz

As you can see, there is no appreciable difference as far as those go.

I got good results with the Magni 2 Uber with all sorts of headphones. I even used an extremely hard to drive piezoelectric headphone with it!

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks guys. I'm really considering that the audible difference between the two that many people mention is just a popular misconception. I find it hard to believe that they both can affect the tonality of the music with such low distortion levels as very good solid states shouldn't.

I'll probably go with the Magni 2 Uber unless anyone has other thoughts.

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 5
+1

Even if there is an audible difference, I doubt it is memorable. In other words, supposed you listened to both all you want for a week or so. And then waited a few days to listen to one in blind testing, doubt you could pick which is which reliably in repeated testing by listening to one every few days. I think people are hung up on differences that are just not important.

Plus, keep in mind the Asgard 2 is a heater. As a Class A amp is always pulling full power. I had one and used it for both headphones and preamp for my speakers, so not a very green choice for a headphone amp/pre amp if you leave it on a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back