As I listen to DT880s, I finally understand the meaning of deep bass...
Jan 21, 2006 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Cyrilix

500+ Head-Fier
I'm still unamped, although that's about to change soon, and I'm still running it off of a Revo, but I have to comment that the bass feels...different from that of my MS-1s. It's not as punchy, but gives you sometimes the feeling that it's rumbling in your internals. I feel this more often when you're listening to tracks with particularly low frequency bass. On trance where the bass isn't as low freq, I don't hear as much of a difference when compared to my MS-1s (although they are still less snappy -- and snappy to me really means when you snap your fingers right and it feels like something pops). I'm slowly starting to appreciate more and more of these cans, and I hope that an amp does actually improve the sound further. I don't think my ears are particularly good, which is why I fear when I upgrade, that I won't hear any difference, but so far so good -- I like what I have.

Jan 21, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 4
Yep the Beyer bass goes deeper than Grados and rumbles subterranean-like, while the Grado is more about the slam and impact bass. Good ear!

Jan 21, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 4
That's exactly what I'd say the difference is between them when I listen. I would say that the MS1 sounds more snappier in terms of impact of the bass (actually more so now that I've got HD414 pads on them which I think makes them sound better then the comfies) but the DT880 goes lower.

At the moment I would sayt that the DT880 is used for most of my listening and I think they sound great whilst the MS1 comes out when I want to listen to a lot of rocky tracks to just make me grin from ear to ear (as in right now - close my eyes and I'm on stage with Metallica while they play those solos directly into my ears!! wonderful!!)

Oh yeah... and from the listening that I've had from my headphones so far I don't think that my ears are that good at picking out differences either (though maybe they'll learn overtime) but it does mean I can pack a load of music onto my DAP as OGG vorbis Q4 sounds pretty much the same to me as Q6 ..... though I could fairly easily tell the difference between any of them and the WAV file. Just means portable gets more music though
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back