As good as...
Oct 2, 2007 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

lbholde

Head-Fier
I'm looking for an inexpensive pair of headphones for my daughter that are at least or almost as good as the Koss KSC75. I'd just buy her those, except the clips pop off very easily and she would quickly lose them. Any suggestions? She does not like earbuds. These will be used with a portable mp3 player.

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 20
Hmm.. I've never heard the KSC75, although I might get a chance very soon. I liked my PMX100's, but never had a situation to use them. Plus they're stylish
tongue.gif
(or maybe I'm NOT stylish
rolleyes.gif
)

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 20
Well, in terms of earbuds, I'd say Sennheiser mx51's. The experience I've had with them has been good.

If you want to expand the options to over the head phones, I'd say px-100's. I got them for my girlfriend a pair and they're amazing.

Good luck!

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 20
Px100's the best 40 bucks you will ever spend on headphones in my opinion, but you you know what they say about opinions. I love my PX100's but I can't say anything bad about the Koss Porta Pros. They are both awsome for their price. I have owned them both. Good cans man.

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 20
Yeah -- the PX 100s or the somewhat weird but surpisingly good sounding Koss PortaPro's (and the Koss cost less and have the lifetime warranty ... how fashion conscious do you think she would be?). Oh, and the Koss are smaller than they look in online product photos ... still, there's a potential dork factor. I have both, and think they're very good values -- and they both sound quite good with portable CD players.

Oct 3, 2007 at 11:23 AM Post #8 of 20
Not familiar with KSC75's but, basic Q's:

Price point?

Overhead or behind-head??

Open back or closed back?? (Though w/children I'd recommend open for safety sake)

And as someone else asked, do we have a 'fashion' issue to deal with??? She may prefer cute over 'sonic quality'.

a.

Oct 3, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 20
iGrado may be a good choice. For a few bucks more the MS-1 sounds quite a bit like KSC75 in a more traditional set of cans.

...of course both of these may be totally out of line for a younger listener.

Our kids, ages 6-13 use my MS-1 at home all the time, but I'd never let them wander outside!

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ammatos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not familiar with KSC75's but, basic Q's:

Price point?

Overhead or behind-head??

Open back or closed back?? (Though w/children I'd recommend open for safety sake)

And as someone else asked, do we have a 'fashion' issue to deal with??? She may prefer cute over 'sonic quality'.

a.

Thanks to all who replied, that's what's so great about this forum.

She is more practical and would probably perfer sonic quality over cute, as long as it wasn't too ugly.

Open backed, as far as I'm concerned. I don't want her to get run over when she's walking to the bus stop because she didn't hear a car.

I think I mentioned already, but earbuds are out of the question for her.

I had hoped to keep it under $20. That rules out the Sens and the Grados, and just about everything else mentioned here except the Sportapros.

She was using a cheap pair of Sonys that clip over the ears the same way the KSC75s do, except that the clips on the Sonys were attached, so she could not lose them. I'd just go with KSC75s if I wasn't positive she'd lose the clips in a week.

So the Sportapros may be a good alternative. How does the sound compare to the KSC75s? And another thing, she has long hair. I wonder how the neckband thing would work with long hair. Anyone have any experience in that regard?

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 20
I'll second the recommendation on the Sportapro. I'll also say that if you have a Walmart in your vicinity and they still carry that dirt cheap Durabrand Radio with headphones, you can actually clip the KSC 75 directly to the headband for the headphones with the radio. 2 minutes at most and I've found, in my experience, that it is harder for the headband to come off than the clips.

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #12 of 20
Did I also mention she changes her mind?
tongue.gif

She just informed me she wants earbuds. No Sportapros.

So... are there actually any good sounding earbuds? How about good sounding earbuds for $20? Remember, I'm using the KSC75s as my cheap headphone "reference", if you will. Any earbuds that compare to them? No IEMs.

Oct 5, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #13 of 20
Sennheiser MX-400 & MX-500 - same except 500's have inline volume control. I think list is $15US & $19US. I've seen them at $12US & $15US.

From what I've read they're fairly decent earbuds, I have no personal experience.

Also heard good words re Scullcandy Smokin Buds which list @ $20US, but folks talk about getting them for $10US @ Staples' and Frye's. Though these are IEM's - they don't seem to go that deep into the ear.

I'm sure that other folks must have recommendations among the MANY marshmellow type of phones by JVE, Koss, etc.

Hope this helps - Best.

angel

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #14 of 20
Some people like the JVC marshmellows (20 bucks Walmart) or the Koss Sparkplugs (20 bucks Radio Shack).
I honestly have tried niether as I personally don't like earphones of any type, but I have read many positive comments about both.

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ammatos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser MX-400 & MX-500 - same except 500's have inline volume control. I think list is $15US & $19US. I've seen them at $12US & $15US.

Hey Ammatos, I think you're on to something here. The 400's are $11.99 on amazon and the reviews are positive - many say that they sound better than the stock earbuds that came with their players, another saying that they have the "classic Sennheiser sound." She should be happy with these. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back