As Good As it Gets? Vcap Review
Nov 7, 2007 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

FreeBlues

100+ Head-Fier
I may have finally gotten as close to perfection as one can get with portable audio. My rig has been evolving for a while now and the final "missing link" has been uncovered.

Enter the 5.5g iMod and, more specifically, the portable vcap. For the uninitiated, the new iMods require a set of external capacitors, external to the iMod itself. Audio Line Out (ALO) puts these caps into the dock connection to the iMod, although they are small enough as to be undetectable, at least to me. Compared to a standard iPod with a dock connector, the iMod is a significant step up. Imaging, depth, soundstage, clarity, frequency extension, these are all vastly better on an iMod. If I had to put a number, I’d put the improvement at about 30% over a regular iPod with a dock connector (the step from the regular headphone out to a dock connector with amp is greater still).

As good as the iMod is, the vcap is an enormous additional step. The vcap is a separate box with 2 gigantic capacitors, nothing more. It has an input for the dock connection from the iMod and output connectors, both mini and RCA. Okay, it’s another large box and can make your rig even less portable – you have an imod, vcap and amp, but if you’re willing to carry the load, the sonic payoff is more than worth the effort!

My system is about as good as I can get it and is very sensitive to changes. Along with the iMod (all files ALAC) I have Jumbo Cryo X Silver cables from ALO, both dock and amp connections, a PRII (upgraded) and UE-11 IEMs. Yeah, it’s an over the top system, but I listen 2 to 3 hours every day (at the gym) and having as good a sound as I can get is important.

So, what does the vcap add? A lot! All the above things I said about the iMod apply to the vcap, and more. In particular, I am blown away by the increase in depth. Musicians are now not only standing across a wide space in my head, the stage they are playing on has taken truly 3d dimensions, front to back. The music has an amazing amount of additional clarity – I’m hearing details is songs I’ve literally been listening to for over 30 years, all this without trying very hard. The bass, already quite good, has become tighter and lower at the same time. UE-11’s can almost be called bass heavy, but the proportion is better and much more natural with the vcap in line. Mids and treble, the really strong suit of the PRII, just go forever and have gotten even better. Clear, relaxed, transparent and so sweet.

The biggest difference is how much more “musical” the whole system is. It’s not harsh, bright, bloated or slow. It has both weight and clarity. Everything seems so much more effortless. I hear things without trying, I get lost now in the music where before I was just a spectator. True story, I almost fell off the treadmill yesterday while listening, I’d forgotten what I was doing and where I was!

Since I’ve added all these various components incrementally I’ve been able to hear the effect each individual component adds to the system. The line out to portable amp was huge, as were the UE-11’s. the iMod was a big step, clearly better and more important than, say, a different amp. The vcap addition has really brought it all together, the improvement is every bit and perhaps even a bit more than the upgrade from iPod to iMod.

Finally, one last word about Ken at ALO. Not only is his service as good as it gets, order on Thursday, product arrives on Monday, he answers email instantly and, most important to me, gives me honest, realistic opinions on what he thinks a product will do in my system.

Overall, highly recommended.

Nov 7, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 15
Now I want one.

Sounds like the Imod and the Vcap is really the end-all for portable audio.

Very well written btw.

Nov 8, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 15
Well does he sell just the vcap? I am happy with my 160 gig ipod so I don't think i currently need an imod as I need the space but am interested in a vcap.

Nov 8, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 15
The vcap LOD only has value inhte system with the iMod. The LOD contains output coupling caps that are necessary to support the 5.5 and earlier versions of the ipod. Your classic is a complete design as is. The coupling caps would actually degrade the sound. The positive thing is that based on many reviews, the differences between the new classic and the iMod with the vcap doc (either the wood ALO or the portable version) are significantly less noticable than compared to just the 5.5 gen ipod. There are a ton of threads on these comparisons. Look in the time period around a week after the classics product announcement.

Nov 8, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 15
nice comments, welcome to the v-cap club!
smily_headphones1.gif

they are truly a great investment for your music.

do you know what number uF caps ALO used in your v-cap?

(8.0uF, 4.7uF) etc etc

Mar 4, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by freethegeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The vcap LOD only has value inhte system with the iMod. The LOD contains output coupling caps that are necessary to support the 5.5 and earlier versions of the ipod. Your classic is a complete design as is. The coupling caps would actually degrade the sound. The positive thing is that based on many reviews, the differences between the new classic and the iMod with the vcap doc (either the wood ALO or the portable version) are significantly less noticable than compared to just the 5.5 gen ipod. There are a ton of threads on these comparisons. Look in the time period around a week after the classics product announcement.

Sorry, I don't follow. The wording is a bit confusing What do you mean?

Mar 5, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 15
iPods that are not iMod'd can only become worse through use of more capacitors. Your normal iPod already takes care of the function of these caps. Caps are a "necessary evil"- to quote another head-fier. You only use them because you must. V-caps are an upgrade to the caps that were used in an iPod, and when it's iModded, these are removed and you need to use external caps either in the Line-out Dock or in the seperate cap dock. These are necessary to filter out the voltage in the signal coming out of your iPod. The Vcaps are just substantially better than the normal ipod caps as well as the blackgates used in Line-out Docks made for iMods.

Mar 5, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 15
Can you clear up something I have been confused about? Do the older iMods (i.e., 4G) need and/or benefit from the vcap LOD or not?

Mar 5, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by otprof /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you clear up something I have been confused about? Do the older iMods (i.e., 4G) need and/or benefit from the vcap LOD or not?

you probably have to get Vinnie to remove the BG caps and wire it directly to the dock, and then you can use the vcap...

probably more convenient to get a 5/5.5G... this works as the caps are outside the imod to begin with.

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #11 of 15
Thanks for the awesome review. How are you able to carry all that weight when running on a Trademill? I'd like to know, since I'm following your route too, so I need a hint to have the system as much portable as possible.

Mar 30, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #12 of 15
I too am curious how you carry this to the gym. Sounds like an awesome setup.

Mar 31, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #13 of 15
Hey, sorry for the late replies, my subscription to this thread disappeared and I just stumbled across this.

My rig is huge, heavy and bulky, or at least relatively speaking! I'm currently carrying an iMod, pvcap and Lisa, with cables, driving UE11's. Compulsive, overkill, crazy? Who, me?!

There is no way to carry this on a treadmill. The treadmills (etc.) at my gym all have small shelves or cupholders and I place all my stuff in these. You need to be careful not to catch the headphone cable when swinging your arms, make sure your rig is not going to fall or bounce around and otherwise be a bit careful. Works for me, but I'm a trained professional!

I don't have any problems carrying this rig around a gym while I do all the weight stuff. I've more or less stacked the three separate components on top of each other, put a small amount of padding around them and hung them from a nylon belt. There is just a small amount of slack in the belt that allows me to move the component stack out of the way when I sit or lie down. It's a bit bulky and no doubt stupidly inconvenient to all but a small number of Head Fi type of crazies. I don't care what others think, I'm at the gym to work out. I use my music and my setup to motivate, distract and entertain myself, not to impress. Works for me.

Mar 31, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you know what number uF caps ALO used in your v-cap?

(8.0uF, 4.7uF) etc etc

Yeah, anyone know?

From the pricing for upgrade from VCap oil caps to VCap teflon ($500 additional), I'm guessing 2.0uF is used.

Is there a door/panel that the user can open up and "roll" capacitors on the dock? Two 2.0uF Mundorf silver/oil (one of my faves) would be roughtly same price as VCap Oil caps, and it would be interesting to compare the sound..

Apr 1, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, sorry for the late replies, my subscription to this thread disappeared and I just stumbled across this.

My rig is huge, heavy and bulky, or at least relatively speaking! I'm currently carrying an iMod, pvcap and Lisa, with cables, driving UE11's. Compulsive, overkill, crazy? Who, me?!

There is no way to carry this on a treadmill. The treadmills (etc.) at my gym all have small shelves or cupholders and I place all my stuff in these. You need to be careful not to catch the headphone cable when swinging your arms, make sure your rig is not going to fall or bounce around and otherwise be a bit careful. Works for me, but I'm a trained professional!

I don't have any problems carrying this rig around a gym while I do all the weight stuff. I've more or less stacked the three separate components on top of each other, put a small amount of padding around them and hung them from a nylon belt. There is just a small amount of slack in the belt that allows me to move the component stack out of the way when I sit or lie down. It's a bit bulky and no doubt stupidly inconvenient to all but a small number of Head Fi type of crazies. I don't care what others think, I'm at the gym to work out. I use my music and my setup to motivate, distract and entertain myself, not to impress. Works for me.

I'm in exctly the same situation, altho minus the v-cap--at least so far. I carry Imod/Amp/cables in Headroom's Minibag. And I think I've got enough room left in there to stack the v-cap too--at least if the v-cap is as small as Ken's at ALO. And my bag fits into the cupholder of the treadmill too. Then, when I'm ready tohit the weights, the Minibag clips onto the gym shorts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back