As an audiophile should I fear animal dander?
Dec 20, 2004 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Patrickhat2001

1000+ Head-Fier
Here's the deal, I'm thinking about getting a cat but I fear that having such a creature around the house may damage my headphones/speakers. Because smoking is known to damage headphones/loudspeakers (coating the housing with soot) I'm thinking that animal dander would do the same thing. Are my fears justified or am I just being paranoid?

Dec 20, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 19
just make sure your cat wont use your headphones as a cat toy, and you should be fine. also beware of getting hair inside your headphones, as its a PITA to get them out.
tongue.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 19
Dander and hair isn't much of a problem, just get a good vacuum cleaner and use it often. A bigger problem was convincing my cats that the speakers weren't a scratching post and my headphones cords weren't chew toys. I still haven't won the cord battle, but putting eucalyptis oil on the cords helps to discourage them.

I agree with Plainsong, if you're the type to freak out over problems like that, don't get a cat.

Dec 20, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 19
I've never had a problem with Pixel getting into my stuff. It's not a stuffed animal, isn't in the shape of a bone, doesn't squeak, then it's not hers. She might put her nose to something, but that's only in passing. If she's too close to something for comfort, she's very good with "leave it." She's a dachshund, they have to know what's going on. She has no interest in eating them, haven't had to school her in that respect. A good little girl.

Although she was confused as to why we didn't like it when she sat on the pretty blue cable at the Helsinki head-fi meet. She sat on the cardas cable in such a way that the Senns almost fell on her... she's completely oblivious of course. But as she's a good dog, just tell her to move, and she moves.
smily_headphones1.gif

But seriously, if I was worried about my dog or cat (if I had a cat) being in my lap while I had on headphones, I'd have to consider if I should even bring a pet into the house. You can't get a pet who will offer you unconditional love, only to be a cold fish to them when you have on cans. Humans might understand that (though I doubt it.
wink.gif
), but a pet will not.

This said with Pixie in my lap. And there's been no adverse affect to the sound.
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
Dander and hair isn't much of a problem, just get a good vacuum cleaner and use it often. A bigger problem was convincing my cats that the speakers weren't a scratching post and my headphones cords weren't chew toys. I still haven't won the cord battle, but putting eucalyptis oil on the cords helps to discourage them.

I agree with Plainsong, if you're the type to freak out over problems like that, don't get a cat.

Yup, you're wasting your energy and giving yourself gray hairs if you freak out over what pets do. You may understand why, but unless you catch them in the act, they simply won't know (or if it's a cat, they won't care either) what you're on about.
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by neueziel
Oh my Mao Mao tries to claw at my cords sometimes but I show her by not feeding her
evil_smiley.gif
I wish she would just use her scratch post!

Hehe, one of my cats deliberately goes after cords to annoy me and get my attention. It's his way of telling me that dinner is late. I've learned not to let thin cords dangle loosely anywhere, but keep them coiled and tucked away. He doesn't mess with thick cords like the HD280 one.
280smile.gif

The cats were here before the headphones were and there's no question which is more valuable to me, so I adjust....

Dec 20, 2004 at 9:10 AM Post #10 of 19
Don't worry about it. Our six month old St. Bernard puppy, Freya, shares the same room with all of my headphone equipment, as well as a lot of my other "toys" like our computer and home theater setup. She hasn't damaged anything. Before Freya, or Newfoundland,Thor, was in the same room with all of my stuff for years with no "events". Train your animal and keep an eye on your stuff, and all should be well.

-Keith

Dec 20, 2004 at 1:48 PM Post #11 of 19
I have not had any problems with my audio equipment, but the fan intake on my computer magnifys the problem, and I need to clean the mat that accumulates there every so often.

Dec 20, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #14 of 19
Patrickhat2001,

Your fears are not justified and you are being paranoid. We have 8 cats and none of them have shown the slightest interest in my headphones, cables or speakers.

Get yourself a cat or two and learn that happiness is being owned by a cat.

Dec 21, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewB
This seems like a sanitary way to keep a critter . However, our bobcat has learned to leave the cords alone. It's more a problem if the cat gets territorial, as both males and females mark.

ps the website is in humor!

Oh whew, I was going to say.. "IS THIS SITE SERIOUS??" Well, you answered that question.
biggrin.gif

If your still paranoid Patrick, maybe the Aibo is for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back