Arvo Pärt's music
Nov 14, 2006 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

drarthurwells

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got "Lamentate" by Arvo Pärt.

My first exposure to his works.

Love it.

Anybody have any recommendations for any of his other works?

Nov 14, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 25
I only have Te Deum, and it's not something I play that often, but when I do... oh! Astonishing.

Nov 14, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 25
I am a HUGE Arvo fan and believe I have most everything out there, except obscure offerings I don't yet know about...tell me of them if you know. So, these would be my first four recommendations, in no specific order:

Alina--minimalist to the core, yet so gently gorgeous, when the tracks repeat (it's two tracks repeating), you're relieved they're back to visit.

Kanon Pokajanen--Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir--based on the canon of repentance, which in the symbolism of the early Slavonic Church, invokes the border between night and day. Big sound, full choral heavy lifting, Russian Orthodox beauty!!!

De Profundis--I think of this piece as almost architectural: sound seems more placed than played (if that makes sense...good thing I'm not a critic, only a fan); the voices are neatly layered. I never tire of listening to this work.

Tabula Rasa--trippy, minimalist, jarring--don't listen while driving--I got a ticket for 55 in a 35...ooops.

I think these would be a good start.

Nov 14, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 25
Thanks so much for your suggestions - very knowledgeable group here.

Now can anyone tell me why it took me so long to discover Pärt?

Never mind.

I think I know the answer.

Nov 14, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 25
For a budget choice, the offering under Classics For Pleasure offers a good overview of his instrumental music. For a chronological cross-section of his shorter works for voice, the collection Triodion under Hyperion is recommended.

ECM is of course the label that most ardently champions Part, and they have Part's more massive works on record. For starters, apart from the instrumental Tabula Rasa, I'd say go for Te Deum and Miserere

Nov 15, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 25
that was years ago when i listened to pärt's music on piano..
i was looking at the ground for 15 min's till it stopped and woke up in a new world...
but now it seems his music doesnt evolve much.. go figure...

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana

Kanon Pokajanen--Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir--based on the canon of repentance, which in the symbolism of the early Slavonic Church, invokes the border between night and day. Big sound, full choral heavy lifting, Russian Orthodox beauty!!!

I think these would be a good start.

I will say that Pokajanen is his true masterpiece.

Here is what was said at Amazon:

"[Amazon.com essential recording]
Arvo Pärt's new work, Kanon Pokajanen is an unqualified masterpiece. Although he's previously written music with similar notions of harmonic rhythm and melodic economy, this work successfully incorporates and develops material that in this context easily could become unwieldy. The texts are taken from the canon of repentance of the Russian Orthodox Church, a subject that's occupied the composer for many years. These songs of transformation "invoke the border between day and night ... prophecy and fulfillment, the here and the hereafter." Supervised by the composer, this performance by the Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir is pure gold, and likely will remain the definitive recording. Part's music rises from gentle valleys to impressive dramatic heights; from single voices to full choir. Here is 83 minutes of exquisite a cappella music in which time and space seem one, and rhythms find their place in a perfect synchrony with breathing and heartbeat. Whether any of this is conscious on the composer's part is incidental. Pärt is tuned into something that finds us and touches us all. --David Vernier "

I am a tremendous fan of Part. I came to appreciate his work as I love medieval chant, but also postwar music. And Part, like no one else, integrates the ancient mystical with the modern minimal.

Although some of his instrumental pieces are moving, I think his choral (a capella especially) are the most intense.

Thanks, drarthurwells, for starting the thread.

Nov 16, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
I will say that Pokajanen is his true masterpiece.

Confused.

Amazon shows two versions - 1998 and 2000 - both on ECM

Which is superior?

Nov 16, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Confused.

Which is superior?

They should be the same: the earlier date is the German import while the later one is the American domestic (manufactured by BMG America). ECM licences BMG America for its American market, and titles commonly see delays of months or years -- if BMG release them at all.

Nov 16, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells

They are probably the same thing. My copies says "1998 ECM Records" and the catalog number is ECM 1654/55. The same catalog number is still listed on the ECM website.

In any case, Kanon Pokajanen is certainly one of my favorite. Another great one for me is Stabat Mater. Try the version by Studio Musique Ancienne de Montreal here. Plus this disk has a great version of the short piece Psalom. I think it's much better than the one on ECM new series Litany CD.

Andy

Nov 16, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #15 of 25
If you like Lamentate, you will also like Litany very much.

If you get one other recording, I would recommend the Gidon Kremer recording of Tabula Rasa to the Gil Shaham. Tabula Rasa is very different from Part's choral music. It is quite intense.

Finally, Alina is also quite good. Very melodic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back