Artur Rubinstein - The Chopin Collection
Aug 9, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 8
The best rendition of all of Chopin's works I own or have heard. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

Be aware, though, that a number of the recordings are in mono in case that throws you off.

Aug 9, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 8
Many people love this set (I did at one point). However, I think that Ashkanazy does an overall better job in most of the pieces. I'll probably be burned at the stake for saying that, but that's how I feel
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 8
Most Rubinstein, while the performances can be great, are pretty poor sound quality affairs. I don't mind sometimes when dealing with certain artists. If this is a factor, check out Ivan Moravec who is superb and the sound quality is very good, or check out Tyson's suggestion.

Aug 10, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by danaa
Most Rubinstein, while the performances can be great, are pretty poor sound quality affairs. I don't mind sometimes when dealing with certain artists. If this is a factor, check out Ivan Moravec who is superb and the sound quality is very good, or check out Tyson's suggestion.

Moravec is my #1. But the Rubinstein performances constitute a kind of reference. He actually recorded most of the stuff three times. Many think the earliest are the best performances, but the sound from 78s is pretty lame. The monos from the 40s and early 50s also have their adherents. The later stereo recordings tend to be quite straight and rather quick--quite close to the scores.

I, too, enjoy Ashkenazy's Chopin quite a lot--I don't understand all the negative internet buzz on him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back