Artists that embrace the art form of the album.
Mar 19, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, Radiohead are another good one. Members of Radiohead have even mentioned in interviews that they strive to make albums, not just individual tracks to be listened to.

All Radiohead albums, maybe barring Pablo Honey and The Bends, are great examples of this.

The problem with Radiohead, of course, is that sometimes they include throw-away tracks for the sake of album continuity. OK Computer is inflicted with Fitter, Happier, and Kid A is inflicted with various tracks like The National Anthem; which serve simply to push the album along without actually contributing anything resembling good music.

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #17 of 23
One of my favourites:

Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory

Falls into the prog rock genre already mentioned though
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with Radiohead, of course, is that sometimes they include throw-away tracks for the sake of album continuity. OK Computer is inflicted with Fitter, Happier, and Kid A is inflicted with various tracks like The National Anthem; which serve simply to push the album along without actually contributing anything resembling good music.

Fitter, Happier doesn't fit in with OK Computer?

Also, did you just say The National Anthem isn't "good music"?

I challenge you to a duel!

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #19 of 23
off the top of my head a favorite artist/album of mine: leftover crack - mediocre generica. specifically Stop The Insanity/Crack City Rockers follow each other well since part of the intro to crack city rockers is at the end of stop the insanity.

also, many hardcore/crust punk and crossover thrash albums fit this category as well. whenever i listen to hear nothing, see nothing, say nothing - discharge, i like to listen to it as a whole.

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #21 of 23
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fitter, Happier doesn't fit in with OK Computer?

It does fit in. That's the only reason why it is there; for the sake of the "album" and to be "deep". You could have had another great track to go with the album that would have made the album even better than it was. Thom would never allow it though, but he's a moron.

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does fit in. That's the only reason why it is there; for the sake of the "album" and to be "deep". You could have had another great track to go with the album that would have made the album even better than it was. Thom would never allow it though, but he's a moron.

While I disagree with the notion of Thom being a moron, I do feel that Fitter, Happier is really a low point of the album and I usually skip it. Yes, it does fit, and it does make sense... but it's not really 'enjoyable' to listen to in the way that the rest of the music is. I guess that you have to venture outside the box every now and again to get a memorable album though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back