only can recommend via DVD/CD ... live in the middle of nowhere pretty much
biggrin.gif

Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio / Live After Death / Live at Donnington
Epica - 2 Meters Session/We Will Take You With Us
Alice in Chains - MTV Unplugged

May 28, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #33 of 43
Rob Thomas - and no not his solo work
mad.gif

Saw Matchbox 20 live before I was a big fan and the emotion and life thomas brings to their songs both with vocals and piano made me fall in love with the music. Did'nt seem to mind changing things up a bit. Since then saw the live DVD and the emotion seemed to have been sucked out again... I dunno whats going on there.

Cheers
Jake

May 30, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
John Zorn is brilliant live, with whatever project he's showcasing.

Amen.

And what about MEDESKI MARTIN AND WOOD those guys play harder than anyone ive ever seen. Well, Phish is up there too
icon10.gif

May 30, 2005 at 10:18 AM Post #35 of 43
hmm, in my experience the bands singers are better in small venues maybe because they can hear the music better. besides that, bands i saw perform live... soundgarden improved a lot on lollapalooza 95 compared to lollapalooza 92. They sounded awesome. Green day is good. Ive heard george benson is great live. Although I don't dig industrial that much anymore, KMFDM rocked at slims in sf 1992.
Bands i want to hear play live... china crisis(if theyre still around) their acoustic cd is great. Fourplay, Sarah Brightman, diana krall... just some off the top of my head

May 30, 2005 at 10:29 AM Post #36 of 43
Amazingly, The Arcade Fire better themselves live. Their album is a piece af art, but live is so much more. When Renee began to sing "In the Backseat" I almost wanted to cry because it was so beautiful.

I would really like to see Radiohead live. Let's hope they fill the Sunday headliner now Kylie's dropped out.

p.s. Let's hope she overcomes her illness.

May 30, 2005 at 11:31 AM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightStalker
Rob Thomas - and no not his solo work
mad.gif

Saw Matchbox 20 live before I was a big fan and the emotion and life thomas brings to their songs both with vocals and piano made me fall in love with the music. Did'nt seem to mind changing things up a bit. Since then saw the live DVD and the emotion seemed to have been sucked out again... I dunno whats going on there.

Cheers
Jake

Which DVD did you see? I thought their VH1 Storytellers performance was pretty damn good.

May 30, 2005 at 11:32 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
thanks so much
smily_headphones1.gif

No problem, bare with me though, I need to get through the next couple of weeks first... FINALS!@#$@%@!#^@##!@#@@!!!!!!

May 31, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #40 of 43
stevesurf said:
Well, I just came back from a Sarah McLachlan concert (Madison Square Garden) and, well, I never knew how good she is live!
QUOTE]

Exactly right. I cannot emphasize how much you truly dont appreciate how incredible Sarah is until you've seen her live. Perhaps thats why I have seen her in concert over 20 times!
As good as they are, her cd's only scratch the surface of what she offers live. I have taken a number of huge Sarah McLachlan fans to a live concert and each and every time they were just blown away by the performance.
The only other major artist that I feel takes an equally magical leap in performance, live, over their recordings is Bruce Springsteen.

JC

May 31, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrawn86
Flogging Molly

especially their hilarious commentary between sets

flogging molly is...amazing live. amongst the few bands around where the scene hasn't died to the point of ruining amazing music. a near constant flow of flogging molly shows is one of the best reasons to live in the greater boston metro area...

-james

Jun 3, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #42 of 43
for the hip-hop heads out there, jurassic 5 and the roots both put on a phenomenal live set. j5 comes at you with energy and just an all round fun vibe that has you singing and rapping with them, not to mention cut chemist and dj numarks antics.

and the roots have a jazzy, jam band feel to their set with recorded material mixed in with plenty of improvisation in between and during songs.

Jun 3, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #43 of 43
The Crystal Method puts on live shows that are just as rewarding as their CDs. In your room you can pick apart all the details (if you want), but in concert or at DJ shows, they raise the roof! People go frickin nuts! Their groove-tastic music is prime dancefloor material and since it's breakbeat you can grind with the slower parts! And everyone else jumping up and down next to you is damn near infectious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back