Art Taylor Modified Sonic Impact T-amp Has Arrived!
Feb 20, 2005 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

NeilPeart

Headphoneus Supremus
K1000_2.jpg
K1000_6.jpg
K1000_1.jpg
K1000_4.jpg
K1000_3.jpg
K1000_5.jpg

Today I received my Art Taylor modified Sonic Impact T-amp, as seen here:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ampbox/page2.html

I already fell in love with the K1000/T-amp combo but I felt restricted by its cheap build quality. I knew usability and possibly audible improvements could be achieved by upgrading the components of the little wonder. When I discovered Mr. Taylor’s website I was overjoyed – another person with talent also felt the same regarding the little T-amp’s performance potential.

I can’t say the sonics are improves because I cannot remember such details (the amp’s been gone slightly more than 1 week) and I’m not prepared to optimistically recall any improved variances. However, I know several people who would let me borrow their stock T-amp so a comparison between stock and modded will occur at some point. What is different is the usability and presence of the amp. Though it is still small, it is much more physically impressive. The feet of the amp are sturdy and slip-resistant, which allows me to use the heavier (and audibly better) Stefan AudioArt Equinox upgrade cable without worrying about the amp falling of the desk like it used to. The Alps Blue Velvet is much smoother than the stock pot and comparing the stock speaker spring-clips to these binding posts is laughably unnecessary. I can now use regular interconnects of my choosing rather than be confined to RCA->1/8” cables. I also now have the ability to use quality power cabling for the power supply->amp connection rather than the stock power cord. While I’m optimistic that the upgraded power delivery, better pot and improved input/output connectivity will improve the performance of the amp, I am satisfied regardless of such improvement simply because of the greater ease of use of the amp – it’s now a real amp through and through rather than a real amp inside a plastic toy. The components of the amp now match its potential and it looks d@mn good too!
smily_headphones1.gif
Thank you Art for the great job (build quality is impeccable and the parts are well-chosen) and the timely manner in which you completed it – Leeav says thanks and I warned you about this headphone addiction…
k1000smile.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 13
Leeav - I changed my mind, I'd like my amp back
very_evil_smiley.gif

That is one sexy little amp - absolutely top notch work, and your photos are spectacular. Congratulations on this pioneering effort. Your power cable is great, too.

Please keep impressions coming, especially when you get the chance to put next to a vanilla SI.

Feb 20, 2005 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 13
LA,

Very nice amp. Where the stock one looks very un-imposing, this little one looks like it is ready to rock-n-roll.
From someone else's comments, the on/off/volume knob on the stock one is the big bottleneck for quality sound. The fact that this is upgraded and the IC's are now upgraded and the PC can as well should equate to a noticiable upgrade in SQ.
Congrats on a nice looking and I'm sure a better sounding amp. Will this be in San Mateo next week?

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 13
Unless I'm missing something, where is the headphone output? I don't even see XLR's for your K1000's
confused.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 13
Who is Mr. Art Taylor?
Does he sell the parts for modifying Sonic Impact or does he perform the modification?

Feb 21, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 13
Mr. Taylor provides the chassis and/or parts depending on one’s choice. He can also perform the modifications (even without sending a T-amp to him, since they are rather elusive these days – I surmise he has a small stock-pile
wink.gif
). If one has their own ideas regarding the upgraded parts then one can then buy the chassis (drilled or virgin) and do everything themselves.

Gene,
Thanks for the kind words and provided the hard-to-find amp for a very reasonable price.

Bruce,
I do think there will be subtle improvements, and we can verify this if you still have your stock unit for comparison – it will be in San Mateo for the meet if I can make it.

Thaddy,
I drive the K1000 via the speaker outputs of the T-amp; the K1000 was actually designed to be driven from a power amplifier (back in 1988 the selection of quality headphone amplifiers were few and far between). The K1000 can be driven by a headphone amp if it is powerful enough; the AudioValve RVK MkII is a particularly good example of such a headphone amp.

Ed,
I don’t think Mr. Taylor is even aware of such issues – I certainly don’t care, though I think there might be some credence to the Tripath/high impedance issue. Perhaps the K1000 PCBs (notch filters of some type) help prevent the ultrasonic issues. If I lose my hearing in 2 years and my K1000 spontaneously combusts then you’ll know why…
wink.gif

I am very satisfied with this amplifier, and using my DAC1 as a source provides a level of detail and resolution that is rarely achievable with headphone gear (let alone a headphone/amp combo under $700).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back