ART DI/O sibilant
Sep 19, 2003 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ManiacSmile

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, here's the thing: when switching to X2 a high-pitched hiss can be heard if the volume knob ( in this case RKV ) goes to 11, which is a little higher than my normal listening levels, but I know it's there. The hiss goes away when the external sync mode is engaged. I tried switching to 96k and not only there's a hiss but also cracks and pops in the right channel. Does anyone else have this ? What could possibly create that artifact - transport, cabel, DAC itself ?

Sep 19, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 18
Don't know what you're problem is, but it's not "sibilance". Sibilance is an effect that happens on some gear which is noticeable when singers make sounds like "s's", "z's", "t's" etc. It's a splashy little hashy sound, that's subtle, not some major background noise or horrendous noise floor, ground loop, or RF interference or who knows what else you might be experiencing.

Mark

Sep 19, 2003 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 18
a crackling should be evident in both 48/96 modes, as your source does not output such a signal. This is normal. In 88.2 mode however, there shouldn't be any noise. Let me go check my own art. By the way: ext mode usually works best.

Sep 19, 2003 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 18
ok, just got back. At INSANE volumes both in 44.1/88.2 modes, I hear a squealing type noise. Is this what you're talking about? The noise is quite a bit louder in 44.1 mode. Ext Sync, otoh, shows nothing.

Sep 19, 2003 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 18
Markl,

Thanx, noted, can't change the heading though...

andrzejpw,

at first I though it had something to do with the PSU or other power related issues and I played with it, tried plugging it in differently, other outlets, switching off equipment - didn't work. Also for the X2 mode - I like it a little more then the Ext. sync, it's less harsh, more smooth and some of my old CDs benefit from it.

Sep 19, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 18
The way I see it, external sync is potentially the best. I say potentially because it depends on the situation with the equipment.

Using X1 or X2 at the native sample rate will give that weird kind of distortion because the 2 devices are not truly synced. Now this could sound more pleasant if the clock in the DI/O is "better" than the one coming from the external signal. If the external signal is of high quality, then external sync mode is superior.

Given a 44.1khz signal, 48 and 96 will pop click because there's a sampling rate mismatch.

Sep 20, 2003 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 18
On my DI/O, at 88.2, there's no hiss, buzz or pops absolute silence. But that's the only sampling rate that it'll lock with my scd555es. As I've said before, it sounds much better than the 555es redbook.

Sep 20, 2003 at 1:40 AM Post #9 of 18
darclouds,

are you saying that ART DI/O can stand on his own against the 555ES ? Are you using a higher-current PSU and have you had it modded ? The artifact on X2 seems to exist not only on my system, so far there's another Sony DVD transport with the same issue.

Sep 20, 2003 at 2:15 AM Post #10 of 18
My DI/O is highly modified with the A to D section completely removed and a separate toroidal power transformer with custom cables. With that being said, it sounds much richer and fuller with added warmth when compared to the 555es redbook. There's also noticeably more bass from the DI/O; this would explain the fuller sound and added warmth. There is more depth and width to the soundstage (notably from front to back) with the DI/O. I found the DI/O to be more enjoyable, hence more musical.

Sep 22, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #13 of 18
Thanx Adam, I read you post a while ago and even though I have good soldering skills I just physically can't find enough spare time for the mods, so I was thinking of sending my ART to Bolder for modding. Maybe I'll change my mind once it gets colder outside.
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2003 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 18
not enough time?
if you're good at soldering, whatever i did will take you 3 hours.
let's add 1 hours for capacitors, which are a must.
quit head-fi for a few days, you'll find the time
tongue.gif

there's a good chance that the bolder mod will sound better, as wayne does lots of stuff (though much not that important, from what i understood from other modders.. but that's a lot of small stuff)
but the price is too high.

Sep 23, 2003 at 12:49 AM Post #15 of 18
Howdy. I heard that artifacts are to be expected if you use the Art master sample rates with a non-dedicated transport, rather than slaving the Art to the source sample rate (ext. mode). I've got mine hooked up to an upsampler (no noises if I use the right cable). The noise floor at 96 kHz is higher than I'd like, but it's more focused, and sweet sounding than ext. sync. or analog out from the source. I've swapped electrolytic caps, resistors, diodes, and output ic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back