ART dac with NEC CD-rom
Apr 15, 2004 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

azneinstein

Head-Fier
Hi guys, I just finally got my source, and since I'm still waiting to get my headphone amplifier and headphones, I wanted to see how this sounds with my Logitech Z-680. Well, I hooked it up and this is how it is right now:

NEC (analog)>ART DAC (DIGITAL OUT)>Z680... I mean, it sounds really good, but it's not loud... it's cleary audible, but it's just not as loud if I used it with the onboard 5.1 on my computer. Anybody has any ideas on why that? Do I have to be using the digital coax into the NEC, and digital coax out to the 5.1? Would that make it better? Thanks.

(note: this is my first time using a CD transport and DAC)

Apr 16, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally posted by azneinstein
Hi guys, I just finally got my source, and since I'm still waiting to get my headphone amplifier and headphones, I wanted to see how this sounds with my Logitech Z-680. Well, I hooked it up and this is how it is right now:

NEC (analog)>ART DAC (DIGITAL OUT)>Z680... I mean, it sounds really good, but it's not loud... it's cleary audible, but it's just not as loud if I used it with the onboard 5.1 on my computer. Anybody has any ideas on why that? Do I have to be using the digital coax into the NEC, and digital coax out to the 5.1? Would that make it better? Thanks.

(note: this is my first time using a CD transport and DAC)

the ideal configuration would be NEC (digital) > DI/O > Z680 (analog). the art's job is to do the digital to analog conversion and do it well. the analog on the nec really isn't all that great, and you're just doubling the number of D/A conversions needed with your configuration.

Apr 16, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 3
What you're doing is taking the digital from the NEC, sending it through it/'s built in DAC to make it analog, sending it to the DI/O to make it digital, then sending it to the Z680s DAC, amking it analog, then through the amp.

What you need to do is get the digital coaxial cable and connect it between the CD-ROM and the DI/O. Then take the regular analog RCA to go between the DI/O and the RCA inputs on the Z680s. You may need 1/4">RCA converters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back