Ars Technica takes on new iPod nano
Sep 21, 2006 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
See the detailed review here.

7.0.jpg

Sep 21, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #3 of 9
For me the biggest letdown is the new design.
I prefered the shiny lookof the first generation models just like the reviewer.
But when it comes to flash based players I am still very happy with my Monolith.

Sep 21, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 9
I have the 1st gen Nano, and I think it is definitely better looking then the new matte aluminum finish. The brighter screen and the usable battery life (24 hours) would be nice, but I just don't think it's worth the upgrade if you have a 1g.

I was a bit surprised to learn in the review that apple ditched Porta Player in favor of an arm processor, I also wonder if that is still a Wolfson DAC in there.....

Sep 21, 2006 at 9:14 AM Post #6 of 9
good review... it doesn't even mention gapless capabilities have been added...
frown.gif

Sep 21, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #7 of 9
dr.morton says,
Quote:

biggest letdown is the new design . . .I prefered the shiny look of the first generation . . .

If it was shiny, we would all complain about fingerprints and blemishes.
wink.gif

One thread states with some disappointment that Apple is out of "black" reburb iPods and another thread deals with blemishes on the new Nano.

I am awaiting delivery of a reburb black (I would have taken white without a second thought) 5 gen iPod. I really don't care about color, shiny or not and/or minor blemishes (not counting the screen). The moment after I ordered the iPod, I went on iLounge and read the reviews on iPod cases. I ordered an iFrogz case. Its two-tones (white and blue) with a bull's eye center.

For me, the outside of my iPod will be forever rubberized blue and white. It seems to me that every iPod should have screen protection and be in a case. My 4th gen (but for dirt around the touch screen) is almost two years old and looks brand new.

Sep 21, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.morton
For me the biggest letdown is the new design.
I prefered the shiny lookof the first generation models just like the reviewer.
But when it comes to flash based players I am still very happy with my Monolith.

I agree the 2G nano isn't as aesthetically pleasing. However, it is beyond great to be able to just put on a small screen protector over the LCD and keep the 2G nano in my jeans pocket along with my RAZR phone and have the nano still look brand new after a week - no scratches whatsoever.

My 1G nano's battery would barely make it 5 days, but the 2G has gone for a week already and still has 3/4 remaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back