Arrived today: HD 600
Feb 21, 2002 at 2:30 AM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

If you have to ask then you clearly haven't heard one.

some could take that as a personal attack . . .

Lets stop before it gets out of hand.

Feb 21, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #17 of 55
Since you had the first word on this, I'll take the last. "Some" didn't take that as an attack, you did! I wasn't even referring to you. You decided to make an issue of this and now you want to end it. 'Nuff said.

Feb 21, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #18 of 55
Come on, don't let this go out of hand.
smily_headphones1.gif

I asked that question if a new cord really is necessary, because
I don't have any high-end stuff at home right now, and therefore
I don't see why I would need one. The sound is getting better
and better all the time, and I would say that it's exactly this kind
of sound I've been wanting for a set of cans. And for those of
you who say that the 600's don't work for rock? BAH! I find them
to like anything. And they should, because they are only a set
of membranes moving in and out, they don't have a clue of what
type of music they are being fed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2002 at 3:52 AM Post #19 of 55
RemedyLane,

Glad to read your enjoying your 600's, i own a pair of 580's and love them too, and yes they work well with most rock and metal. I also have a cmoy amp that was built by headfier 'JMT' and it drives these cans very well. As for the cable, its another $100 and i just see buying something like that myself for headphones i paid $95.

Feb 21, 2002 at 4:02 AM Post #20 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by RemedyLane
Are those really necessary? I think the sound is awesome as it is now.

Yes. You should at least audition them. OTOH, if you indeed are so enamored with them as is, then they may not be for you. But I highly highly highly recommend obtaining a pair. At least of the blues. (I believe the Blue's are the cheapest of the upgrade cords, no?)

Feb 21, 2002 at 10:18 AM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by msjjr
You will have to get one of the upgrade cords, ie, Equinox from Stefan Audio Art or Cardas

LOL, what, are the Clous chopped liver now?
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2002 at 3:53 PM Post #24 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

LOL, what, are the Clous chopped liver now?
wink.gif

From my personal experience I think the Senn 600 sound can be noticeably bettered by buying an aftermarket cable, or according to Dr. Meier, making your own. As a former owner I'd tell everyone to pass on the Clous: at the very least they are an ergonomic nightmare.

RemedyLane, great to hear you enjoy the 600's. Good luck and good listening.

Feb 21, 2002 at 6:14 PM Post #25 of 55
RemedyLane

Congratulations on your purchase also. They are a great set of cans, and combined with my MG Head, I was up very late last night!!
Ok,let me toss my hat into the ring on this cable up-grade thread.
First off, my bio. I'm more than likely old enough to be some of your guy's dad,( 49, but who's counting ). I have been involved in high-end audio for some 25 plus years. I have owned and sold alot of high-end equipment over the years, managed a high-end audio store for 6 years, and I was a factory trained repairman for JBL and Altec Lansing speakers. And I play guitar, ( long live the Fender Strat! ). I love tubes and tube gear.
As you know, this IS all about opinions, and heres mine. Good high-end audio cables and interconnects can add both good and bad, but the botton line is they really should be completely NEUTRAL and pass along the signal without altering ANY characteristics, IMHO. If you want frequency changes, buy something with tone controls. I have measured and listened to many cables that alter the frequencies in various areas, creating perceived improvements to the sound. And when cables start to surpass the cost of the equipment they are connected to, one must really perform a reality check to see if it's worth the cost, and even more so, are you just imagining the improvement. I know from my own experiance that when you can run subjective A/B testing, most people cannot repeatedly pick-out some VERY expensive cables from lesser ones, unless those cables are ALTERING the sound.
There, I think I fell off my soap box!!!!

Anyhow, enjoy your new 600's RemedyLane. I know I will- JUST THE WAY THEY ARE!

Feb 22, 2002 at 12:45 AM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by ponzio
From my personal experience I think the Senn 600 sound can be noticeably bettered by buying an aftermarket cable, or according to Dr. Meier, making your own.

I totally agree... I was just wondering why the only cable that is currently available, and provides a dramatic improvement in sound quality, wasn't listed.

Quote:

As a former owner I'd tell everyone to pass on the Clous: at the very least they are an ergonomic nightmare.

I'm a current owner who has also criticized their stiffness; however, they improve the sound SO much when used in a good system, that they're definitely worth the inconvenience.

Feb 22, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #27 of 55
The Equinox is available... I already have it. But as many others have said before, to each his own.

Feb 22, 2002 at 4:30 AM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by TUBEBO
RemedyLane

Congratulations on your purchase also. They are a great set of cans, and combined with my MG Head, I was up very late last night!!
Ok,let me toss my hat into the ring on this cable up-grade thread.
First off, my bio. I'm more than likely old enough to be some of your guy's dad,( 49, but who's counting ). I have been involved in high-end audio for some 25 plus years. I have owned and sold alot of high-end equipment over the years, managed a high-end audio store for 6 years, and I was a factory trained repairman for JBL and Altec Lansing speakers. And I play guitar, ( long live the Fender Strat! ). I love tubes and tube gear.
As you know, this IS all about opinions, and heres mine. Good high-end audio cables and interconnects can add both good and bad, but the botton line is they really should be completely NEUTRAL and pass along the signal without altering ANY characteristics, IMHO. If you want frequency changes, buy something with tone controls. I have measured and listened to many cables that alter the frequencies in various areas, creating perceived improvements to the sound. And when cables start to surpass the cost of the equipment they are connected to, one must really perform a reality check to see if it's worth the cost, and even more so, are you just imagining the improvement. I know from my own experiance that when you can run subjective A/B testing, most people cannot repeatedly pick-out some VERY expensive cables from lesser ones, unless those cables are ALTERING the sound.
There, I think I fell off my soap box!!!!

Anyhow, enjoy your new 600's RemedyLane. I know I will- JUST
THE WAY THEY ARE!

Tubero, a great post since I share your views on high end cables and interconnects although I do not have your extensive backround in audio. And don't get me started on fancy power cords. Anyway your position was nicely stated. Just wanted to give you a pat on the back.

Regards, Nick

Feb 22, 2002 at 4:49 AM Post #29 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by TUBEBO
As you know, this IS all about opinions, and heres mine. Good high-end audio cables and interconnects can add both good and bad, but the botton line is they really should be completely NEUTRAL and pass along the signal without altering ANY characteristics, IMHO.

I agree completely, but you also have to take into account the cable you're upgrading from. If the previous one is coloured or veiled, then upgrading might seem like colouration, when it really is neutralization.

Feb 22, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #30 of 55
You're right Dusty, and many Head-Fi ers also agree, but some clearly do not (how's that for stating the obvious). I listened to the HD600 with the stock cord for many months and knew the sound to expect. I also enjoyed them immensely, even selecting them over others that I auditioned simultaneously over a few weeks. Then, intrigued by other postings and reviews, I tried an upgrade cord. It sounded "different" and to me that difference seemed like the HD 600's became "more of" what they were before, if that comment makes sense to others. They didn't sound like another headphone, they sounded like an "improved" HD 600. Whether this is "coloration" or restoring "neutrality" is irrelevant to me. I feel that I got my bang for the buck with this purchase, perhaps the way someone else feels about spending $100 for a bottle of wine or $250 for a pair of tickets to a Broadway show. Suggestions like mine were not meant to denigrate anyone else's opinion, but rather to inform that there may be even further "improvements" in an already classic sound. I am grateful to whosoever first clued me into the notion of a upgrade headphone cord. It's a purchase I haven't regretted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back