Arrival
Aug 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

MarkBench

New Head-Fier
Having owned Senheisers and sr225i's in the sub $200 group, and a nice pair of the obligatory Bose, I worked my way up, in dollar increments to what this trained, veteran ear was listening for.....the ultimately affordable Grado PS500's.

As an old guitar rocker, and longtime Sony and Koss headphone user, the eq graph of my hearing would have me laughed out of any armed forces recruiting station, except perhaps the Foreign Legion.  As an older guy who doesn't roller blade or skate board through malls, appearance is not a factor in choice of "ear wear."  That's right, I stay at home and reverently place my Grado PS500's on this sage, grey head.  But only after plugging the very necessary extra thick cord into my Asus 6870 desktop, complete with Realtek Hi Def driver, and professional grade equalizer. Amp? Save it for the cheap high impedance set ups.  No need here. 

Thus can I not only recreate almost any sound known to man, but wait.....here it comes....I get to experience full length Hi Def Netflix offerings on my Asus (with LG monitor,)  exactly as intended......with thundering movie theatre sound.  Whispers? Yes. Heartbeats even.  Bass?  Duh....Mids? Full, rich, natural.  Highs? Tinkling bells, and crickets amid the footfalls in the underbrush on a moonlit night.  And best of all.....perfect vocal reproduction in song and speech, with absolutely no need for annoying subtitles.

Need a wider sound stage, and more comfort?  The larger Grado ear cups, ordered separately, which put you, as someone said hereabouts, in the 3rd row of the live concert rather than the 1st.

And so gentle listeners of the working class set, who have to, as I do. look up the word audiophile to avoid looking ignorant and common, the Grado PS500 earphones delightfully exceed my expectations.....well, no.....my hopes, and that surprise is priceless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back