Arrgh!! Federal Jury Duty Court Summons !
Sep 29, 2007 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

SR-71Panorama

Headphoneus Supremus
So Im coming home from work Friday, looking forward to my 2nd weekend from the job I just started. What do I find in the mail? Jury Duty of course. Damn you Murphy! Whats more, it said the trial I (may) be selected for is expected to last 8 weeks. Now I get to tell my boss I may be gone for 2 months, despite starting only 2 weeks ago.

Murphy's law is alive and well, my friends.
redface.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 37
Yesterday you couldn't spell jury now you maybe be a jury member!

Could be worse. You could be the defendant.

Give them a call. You maybe able to get the duty rescheduled, once.

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 37
Yeah, I don't know what trial it is, but I'm glad I'm not going on trial.

I will absolutely try to get out of it. I will tell them I just started the job and can't afford to miss two months of work, both financially and as far as work load goes.

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 37
Read up on the right of Jury Nullification before you go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification
It's one of those things the legal establishment tries to hide from potential jurors. (They do it here in Canada too; you're not even allowed to mention it to the jury.) The more you know...

You also may not be selected for jury duty if you let the prosecutor know you believe in jury nullification. They hate that.

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 37
easier out, ignore the letter, it came by regular mail. No proof that you actually received the summons since it 'may' have been lost in the mail.

when they asked... reply with "what letter?".

Sep 29, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read up on the right of Jury Nullification before you go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification
It's one of those things the legal establishment tries to hide from potential jurors. (They do it here in Canada too; you're not even allowed to mention it to the jury.) The more you know...

You also may not be selected for jury duty if you let the prosecutor know you believe in jury nullification. They hate that.

Great stuff, Thanks. Wikipedia is very dangerous--just spent about half-an-hour sub-linking before I realized it.

Sep 29, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by urabus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
easier out, ignore the letter, it came by regular mail. No proof that you actually received the summons since it 'may' have been lost in the mail.

when they asked... reply with "what letter?".

Yes, that would be easy to do.
plainface.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #11 of 37
Wiki is dangerous.

That said, remember, no one want a hate monger on the jury. Not quite as easy, but a few crass words will get you out of jury duty for sure.

Sep 29, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #12 of 37
Jury duty, pfaw! Good thing we don't have that here.

Sep 29, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #13 of 37
I don't like to miss work either. I just got summoned for jury duty after I had just started a job and I was dreading it. It turned out to be an interesting experience. I did not get picked, but by the end of the day, I would not have minded being on the jury (3 day trial). I agree it can be an inconvenience (especially Federal or Grand jury), but it is your duty.

The judge in our case, asked a room full of people if anyone had a good reason why they couldn't serve on a jury besides missing work. He realized it was a financial burden as well as a time concern, but not one person raised their hand or asked to be dismissed. Later though, when he asked if people's past experiences would affect their decision to be on the jury or bias them in any way, people started dropping out like flies. It is not that difficult to get out of being picked for a jury, if you really don't want to.

Sep 29, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #15 of 37
sweet! enjoy the time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back