Around ear headphones for under $100
Sep 29, 2015 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ChristianM

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking to buy an around ear headphones for $100 or less. closed back. source is PC with Sound Blaster Z sound card. I mostly listen metal, hardcore and some hip hop. 
I bought Senn Momentum a year ago but sold because it had only 18ohms and the sound was very low with my sound card. (it was highly recommended by dozens of people even though I was very clear about my setup) and I was unaware about these technical issues at that time. so please recommend me some decent phones that will work with my setup.
so far I have only read good reviews about these HPs:

Sony 7506
Sennheiser HD 203 and 202 II
ATH M40X
(maybe can find M50X in slight used condition at Amazon or Ebay)
Sony MDRXB950BT

please suggest any other brand also.

thank you

Sep 29, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 6
For what I'm assuming is your budget for headphones.
Gemini HSR-1000, around $45 on Amazon.

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 6
any owner of both 7506 and M40X who can tell which one is more suitable for heavy metal, which one have slight more bass and enjoyable? 
also, is there any noticeable difference between 202 II and 203? thanks

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 6
As a fellow metal head, I'd say the m40x is a good choice. It's pretty true to recording. While the bass isn't overwhelming, I'd say it still definitely has a nice punch to it. I feel like they're able to keep up with double drum pedals, if you listen to any bands that use that style.The tradeoff of going with the m40x over the 7506 is that the m40x tends to feel slightly chunkier to me. On the other hand, the removable cable of the m40x is always nice.

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 6
  any owner of both 7506 and M40X who can tell which one is more suitable for heavy metal, which one have slight more bass and enjoyable? 
also, is there any noticeable difference between 202 II and 203? thanks

I own the MDR-V6 which is what the MDR-7506 is based on.
Guess you could say the 7506 is a copy of the design of the V6, but using different materials.
The 7506/V6 series is more a monitor headphone, not really a headphone for slamming out the bass.

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 6
thanks for replies. I've been listening some headphones audio samples from the website "sonicscene", ofcourse they don't provide exact sound signature of the headphones but it gives us a little idea how these headphones might sound. 
I never listen any open back headphones in my life but I listen Senn HD 598 and HD 558 audio samples. they sound pretty similar.
the point is, everyone says that open back headphones are not good for metal and don't have the bass that closed back headphones have but in those samples these two HPs sound pretty good, a little better than M50X and M40X.
Do you think I can trust these audio samples to choose open back headphones for the genres I like and listen? the last song of that recording is a heavy metal song and i think it sound just as good as with the HD 598 and 558 as it was with the M50X and M40X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back