Around $80 budget headphones, which should it be?
May 23, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #17 of 22
It really depends on personal taste. Everyone's ears are different. Some people are just more vulnerable to spikes in 3K hertz, which translates to them being tired after listening for a couple of hours. Do you have a hifi dealer nearby or a friend that has the models you want? The best way to see if you could get tired from it, is to just try them out.

May 23, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #18 of 22
It really depends on personal taste. Everyone's ears are different. Some people are just more vulnerable to spikes in 3K hertz, which translates to them being tired after listening for a couple of hours. Do you have a hifi dealer nearby or a friend that has the models you want? The best way to see if you could get tired from it, is to just try them out.
Unfortunately I don't have a chance to try. I don't like this situation, but there is nothing I can do.

I'm listening to audio demos I found. I'm reviewing my own headset and the frequency response of the headset I'm looking at. I'm trying to equalize and estimate the frequency response to simulate.

Based on the current result, I like the airiness of the shp9500. But the fact that it's on means I can't always use it. But I am sure it will be quite comfortable and spacious when I use it.

The Akg k361 is not airy, but its sound is more balanced. Bass is available. Plus it's closed. But for long listening sessions, comfort can be an issue. Also the quality control is bad I guess. Not all headphones sound exactly the same. User reviews are somewhat questionable.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #19 of 22
It sounds like you've got it all figured out! I think it's up to you from now... I know it's a hard decision, but you can always return them if you don't like them!

May 25, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #20 of 22
Altough different than the ones you listed, and cheaper than you looking, I love the Koss on ears. Namely, Porta Pro, KPH30i, KSC35 and 75.
I own all except Porta Pro, and will buy the new KPH40 soon
Second Koss Porta Pro

I have reviewed ksc75 and koss porta pro.

Which is better for sound? What is the difference between them?

Also, will they hurt my ear with 4-8 hours of daily use? If I get these, I will use them on a daily basis. For series, games and music. They may have to stay in my head for a long time.

Lastly, how are they in terms of durability? It's not easy for me to get a new one when it's broken. I hope to use it for at least 1-2 years.

May 25, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #21 of 22
I have reviewed ksc75 and koss porta pro.

Which is better for sound? What is the difference between them?

Also, will they hurt my ear with 4-8 hours of daily use? If I get these, I will use them on a daily basis. For series, games and music. They may have to stay in my head for a long time.

Lastly, how are they in terms of durability? It's not easy for me to get a new one when it's broken. I hope to use it for at least 1-2 years.
Starting from the end: durability is not their best asset... I've only had one problem, a driver stoped playing. But I have a friend, that is admitedly not very careful, that ruins 2 or 3 pairs per year... it seams that the cable connection to the driver is not the best. But he likes them so much that he just keeps buying them!

Regarding confort, the KSC75 are bigger, the ear clips are softer and have a wire that allows to bend it to fit you better. I have no problem using them several hours straight.

The KSC35 clips are thinner and just made of more rigid plastic, I was concerned about the confort, but they are so light that they don't bother me even after some 3 or 4 hours with them on.

I've used Yaxi pads sometimes, and it changes a bit the sound signature, some say for the better. I say it's a matter of taste.

Now, the Porta Pro... I don't like a "detail" that ruins the experience to me: my air keeps getting caught by the metal band. Yes, I could put some tape or something that prevented the issue, but then they wouln't be so portable. Regarding the sound, I found the Porta Pro to be a little brighter than the others, just a bit too much to me.

For the KPH30, also love the sound and they are very confortable and light. There are reports about the plastic band being easily broken. Mine have 2 years of regular use and are still intact (knoks on wood...).

I really love how the KSC models sound, and I love the portability of them, and also the clip on ear is great on the go. For the price, they are winners! Don't really know nothing up to €100 that beat them.

The perfect portable headphones for me would be a KSC35 with detachable cable. There are people modding these with detachable cable and more, but that's not for me.

All of these models have a similar sound signature with minor diferences.

I'll be getting the new KPH40 Utility soon. It has a detachable cable, but not were it matters. Kind of a missed oportunity for Koss.

Hope that helps :L3000:

May 25, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #22 of 22
I made some eq settings for moondrop aria. I tried to emulate the SHP9500 frequency response. Honestly, when the sound shines, I understand how dark it actually is. It even feels like it was intentionally made dark. When it's bright, the soundstage and detail improve a lot. You feel the air.

The original sound profile sounds muddy. Probably my tastes are different. I feel the urge to increase the volume for clarity. It definitely needs to be brighter and airier.

I made these settings using equalizer apo and tempotec sonata hd pro dac. Probably the eq settings I made are spoiling the sound. I can't set professional eq. But I like the sound. That's probably what high-end headphones have accomplished. Producing clear and detailed sound without distorting the sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back