Around $100 IEM for Exercise, Gym, Running
Oct 7, 2012 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

wacomme

100+ Head-Fier
I know this topic has been discussed a millions times, and I've been reading threads for the past hour. It seems like the Shure 215 and Klipsch Image S4i Rugged fit the bill. However, it seems that the 215 are heavy on the base (more balanced is my liking), and the S4i Rugged's have a heavy inline control (this would drive me nuts). Are these problems "real" issues, and/or are there other good sport iems in my price range?

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 14
It hasn't been discussed a million times. There are far more useless questions out there- so much so that this is a good question.
If you're looking for an iem for running and exercising then you don't need to be too picky on sound quality I would think. Ergonomics and fit considerations should come first I think.

With fit there's just no way of me knowing what would be suitable and I would say for many out there, for running and movement both the klipsch and the shures aren't that great. They are a bit fat, hard to keep in place sometimes and not that ruley (esp the shure that is). I would go for something that has a large soundstage, a balanced signature (as you wanted) and most importantly has a good build quality, low cable microphonics, nice fit and range of eartips, good cable and body.

There are too many to choose from. If you were looking at the klipsch s4, have a look at the philips she3590 (which costs far less yet sounds a lot better). There are others with rounded/slimline IEM bodies that stay in place even with a shallow fit (some, like the ety's require a very deep fit which isn't ideal in my book to have when exercising. Brainwavz pro alpha is another that'll be very good, at a modest price.   

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 14
Take a look at Meelec A151. I find them to be very universal in terms of comfort, sound quality and usability. They give me a bit more bone conductivity then I'd like, but that depends on insertion depth.

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #6 of 14
Oct 7, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for the suggestion. Have have some Meelec M6's (I thinks that's the model - the cheap ones). I hate them. I don't like the sound and it's a struggle even time just to figure out how to wear them. I also have some Koss 75's (over ear). I like the sound, but they look funky. I also want something more isolating. I have Ety 4's, but the fit is terrible for exercising, even with foams. OK. I guess I'm picky. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Take a look at Meelec A151. I find them to be very universal in terms of comfort, sound quality and usability. They give me a bit more bone conductivity then I'd like, but that depends on insertion depth.

Now these look interesting. Does anyone else like these for the gym?

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #9 of 14
My God! I guess there's no definitive recommendation. It seems like everyone is all over the map with suggestions. What one person loves, another hates. Darn. I was hoping for a general consensus for a few models. Oh well. 

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 14
If you want something thats balanced with very good detail and an IEM that stays put when running and working out the Rockit Sounds R-50 is perfect.  Thoughs are what I use to jog with and workout and they don't move or slip out at all and they're very light so you don't ever feel them after a few minutes.  There $20 over your $100 price point and you can get them at Amazon but I think its more than worth the extra cash plus you can use them as your primary IEM's as well, they really sound awesome for $120.

Oct 7, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
If you want something thats balanced with very good detail and an IEM that stays put when running and working out the Rockit Sounds R-50 is perfect.  Thoughs are what I use to jog with and workout and they don't move or slip out at all and they're very light so you don't ever feel them after a few minutes.  There $20 over your $100 price point and you can get them at Amazon but I think its more than worth the extra cash plus you can use them as your primary IEM's as well, they really sound awesome for $120.

They sound interesting, though perhaps too much like my Ety ER4's, albeit without the sticks coming out of my ears. However, like me M6's, they are over the ear - my favorite style (though my only sampling of over the ear is the M6). 

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #12 of 14
The aren't as analytical as the ER-4's but they have just as much detail plus they have a touch of warmth to the sound signature and better bass response than the ER-4 as well.  I really like them a lot and they do work great for working out and such.

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #13 of 14
The Klipsch S4 doesn't work well at the gym because the cord is microphonic and all you hear is rustle noises when it rubs on your shirt. I also found the seal to break easily in my ear everytime I moved. They would also fall off constantly. The Bose Mie2i served me best for gym purposes because they stay wedged in your ears no matter what and they also sound decent. Since these rest on your ears intead of inside them, there is no microphonic issues or discomfort. You can also hear your surroundings.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #14 of 14
While choice is nice, it's also problematic. What seems to work for one person doesn't work for another. Again, choice is nice. I can narrow down the playing field, but outside buying IEMs and trying them it's hard to know what will fit my needs best. 

Perhaps I should just use my Ety 4's. However, I find the microphonics disturbing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back