Aroma audio product impressions.
Jan 6, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #346 of 1,876
and a sort of comparison between JEWEL / Fusang / Trailli? I mean the gross differences between these 3 iem. Low range ...... mid range ..... high range
Did a comparison with Fusang a while back:
It's the first iem that might top FuSang for me, so frankly it could well be my favourite up to date. A few points that stood out:
Speed. Jewel's speed and incisiveness were simply outstanding. In busy passages where FuSang struggled a bit to keep up, Jewel was clean and decisive.
Bass. The sub-bass extension is noticeably deeper than FuSang. However, there is no bloat whatsoever. Bass texture is very well defined, but tight and controlled at the same time. This is the ideal DD bass I like, not the slow and bloated bass on EXT, for example.
Air. Here I'm talking about the unique ambience created by well-implemented e-stat drivers, which sounds like a slight mist that brings this sense of air and surrounding ambience.
Coherence. Jewel might well be the first DD-BA-EST iem I heard that doesn't sound incoherent. No section jumps out, each unit really shines in its own right.

Still, FuSang might sound more engaging due to lower-mid emphasis, so it's more "happening" in the sense that I feel being in the middle of the stage. Jewel transcends me into a different realm.
Jewel sounds it's tuned close to Harman target. The sub-bass is very satisfying but slopes down quickly enough in mid-bass to leave space for the midrange to shine. If someone were to take the VE Elysium but add sub-bass with amazing speed, texture and rumble, with a bigger stage and better imaging, while keeping all the goodies of Elysium, then I'd imagine the result would be Jewel.

In the previous post I mentioned Fusang was having a bit of a problem during a busy track. I was mainly using Contact by Daft Punk. In the second half of the track Fusang (and most other IEMs) would have trouble keeping up with the tempo, making instruments sound mixed together and less defined. Jewel passes that part with flying colours, almost like a planar headphone. It's a rare breed for a DD to have fast transients, Jewel is the single exception in this regard while keeping the texture and physicality of DD bass.

I can't compare in detail against Traillii as my demo was a few months back, all I could remember is that it didn't impress me that much back then.

Jan 6, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #347 of 1,876
Did a comparison with Fusang a while back:

Jewel sounds it's tuned close to Harman target. The sub-bass is very satisfying but slopes down quickly enough in mid-bass to leave space for the midrange to shine. If someone were to take the VE Elysium but add sub-bass with amazing speed, texture and rumble, with a bigger stage and better imaging, while keeping all the goodies of Elysium, then I'd imagine the result would be Jewel.

In the previous post I mentioned Fusang was having a bit of a problem during a busy track. I was mainly using Contact by Daft Punk. In the second half of the track Fusang (and most other IEMs) would have trouble keeping up with the tempo, making instruments sound mixed together and less defined. Jewel passes that part with flying colours, almost like a planar headphone. It's a rare breed for a DD to have fast transients, Jewel is the single exception in this regard while keeping the texture and physicality of DD bass.

I can't compare in detail against Traillii as my demo was a few months back, all I could remember is that it didn't impress me that much back then.
Thanks for the evaluation. Very interesting.

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #348 of 1,876
Jewel passes that part with flying colours, almost like a planar headphone. It's a rare breed for a DD to have fast transients, Jewel is the single exception in this regard while keeping the texture and physicality of DD bass.
This is what I have been reading as the case but how's bass quantity? Is that on high side? One review calls it could be considered as sort of bass heavy IEM which I am trying to avoid. So wanted to hear your thought on this as an owner.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #349 of 1,876
Jan 14, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #350 of 1,876
This is what I have been reading as the case but how's bass quantity? Is that on high side? One review calls it could be considered as sort of bass heavy IEM which I am trying to avoid. So wanted to hear your thought on this as an owner.
It's not bass heavy. It has less bass than Traillii, for reference, and I haven't heard people call Traillii bass heavy. No bass bleed whatsoever.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #351 of 1,876
It's not bass heavy. It has less bass than Traillii, for reference, and I haven't heard people call Traillii bass heavy. No bass bleed whatsoever.

Just put in an order for Jewel tonight. Hope it is not one of those thick/warm sounding IEMs as my LP6 TI AE already sounds quite weighty. Nevertheless LP6 is still a detail machine. Extremely transparent. I've had Fusang on LP6 this weekend but didn't find the synergy I was hoping for. Sounded sort of disoriented lacking the separation while processing complex mix of frequencies. The bass was a little too bland.

Jan 17, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #352 of 1,876
Since LP6 TI AE doesnt sound anything like all other daps I've tried processing so much sonic data at give time, I need a fast transient iem which can reproduce all the sound input with the decent the level of accuracy. Dont want to miss hearing even the tinest sounding instruments while feeling the bass imapct. The Odin, despite its upper mid short coming, managed to handle it well with the EQ. I really hope I dont have to rely too much on EQ using Jewel.

Jan 17, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #353 of 1,876
Since LP6 TI AE doesnt sound anything like all other daps I've tried processing so much sonic data at give time, I need a fast transient iem which can reproduce all the sound input with the decent the level of accuracy. Dont want to miss hearing even the tinest sounding instruments while feeling the bass imapct. The Odin, despite its upper mid short coming, managed to handle it well with the EQ. I really hope I dont have to rely too much on EQ using Jewel.
You're in for a treat.

Jan 17, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #354 of 1,876
I posted this at another thread, thought I should repost it here too:

Anyhow, thought I share my brief experience with the Aroma Audio Jewel (and the A100TB + PS100). Caveat: I am not so good with terminology and also not a reviewer so please do excuse the poor (tech) language and (pro) organization.

Prolog:
1. Comparisons will be made against the Traillii since the Jewel was touted to be the Bird slayer, which was what piqued my interest in the first place. I think I have been quite clear about how highly I rate the Traillii; the only gripe I have is the non-availability of a Custom option. I was hoping that finally there was a CIEM that was everything the Traillii was (and with a bit of luck -- MORE!), and praying, at the same time, for the sake of my wallet, that it was not!
2. DAPs used were the 300 Max Ti (as I've heard about how power-hungry this 13-driver beast was) and the HM1000K (what I wanted to use the A100TB with). The difference between these 2 DAPs -- the 3MTi being a delta-sigma dual AKM4499 and HM1K being a R2R quad PCK-1704, should provide a good impression on synergy across the 2 main mass market DAC configurations.
3. I also brought along a couple of after market cables -- a copper-based (Orpheus shielding) and a silver-variant (Centurion), having heard how the stock cable was quite inadequate, to give the Jewel every chance to sparkle and shine, pardon the pun, just in case. That said, the Traillii was listened to on its stock 1960 cable throughout the audition.

Initial Impressions (Physical):
1. It is big. Both the shell and bore are considerably larger than the Traillii. I put on a MS SednaEarfitLight Short, the size I use on the Traillii and it was uncomfortable to wear right off the bat. Considering the custom will be larger than the universal, it posed an immediate concern for me.
2. It isn't as bling in real life. The blue glitter isn't so gaudy and, not sure if there is more than one variant, but the termination is a matte silver 2.5mm plug, not the gold one in some pics, that looked quite expectably run-of-the-mill.
3. Overall, it's quite typically Chifi-standard/quality, albeit premium, not unlike what you'd expect from Oriolus. In a way, it is quite appealing, to me at least, in an artisan sort of way, not the polished factory-line production unit from the big American/German brands.

Initial Impressions (Sound):
1. The stock cable sucks. Lean and bright, is all I can say. I do not remember Ledisi's Ne Me Quite Pas sounded as anorexic on anything I have heard before. I suspected the Orpheus would make it better and it was confirmed to be so immediately, adding more weight to the notes and taming the brightness noticeably.
2. Poor synergy with the 300 Max Ti. As much as the Orpheus improved the sound, I couldn't hear anything that measured up to the rave. The Jewel was rated highly for vocals and said to be resolving with oodles of details. Ledisi still did not impress and Grimaud/Sawhney's Vocalise (Rachmaninov), which was a notorious mangle of flute and piano, was as messed up as I have ever heard it to be.
3. The Jewel starts to glitter with the HM1000K. Could be the R2R, could be the quad PCM-1704, whatever it was, it was a notch or six up on the same tracks on the HM1K. More refined, more controlled, better all around. With the A100TB amping the HM1K, the Jewel (on Orpheus) -- all in an USD15K rig -- was now beginning to truly show its scintillating colors. Separation on the Grimaud/Sawhney's Vocalise was much improved, with greater micro details, emerging especially on trebles.

On Further Scrutiny:
1. Vocals were good... but only selectively so. Is it possible for an IEM to be racist and sexist too? Haha! How is that the J-pop, K-pop, Mando- and Canto-pop vocals (especially female) sound better than Jazz (Carmen Gomes) and Hip Hop (Sza)? Not that they sounded bad; Gomes on A Fool for You sounded lazy, Sza's Supermodel just didn't pop, compared to Utada Hikaru's First Love which was pumping, Zhou Shen's Big Fish was as ethereal as I've ever heard it. Next, Mi Mancherai (Il Postino) by Josh Groban, on the other hand, sounded as good as I can remember it to be.
2. Details lots yes... but only on the high frequencies. In a nutshell, I did not think the Jewel out-detailed the Traillii except at the higher frequencies. Though I must add, I was aware of the additional ESTs on the Jewel -- 6 versus 4 on the Traillii -- and was consciously listening out for the differences. I guess if I wasn't doing that, I'd probably wouldn't have noticed the difference. It was not night and day, wasn't even late morning and early afternoon!
3. The Mids on the Jewel are clearly more frontal than the Traillii; Highs are somewhat thinner and the Bass, both in terms of quantity and quality, not as slamming as the Traillii. On Timbre, I guess it's down to preference. The cello on Yo Yo Ma's Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suite and guitar on Jacob Gurevitsh's If da Vinci was a Girl both sounded more natural to me. Not that the Traillii is my choice for orchestral music, but I'd pick it over the Jewel after listening to Holst Jupiter conducted by Karajan.

Summary:
1. If I didn't own the Traillii, they both cost the same and the Jewel was available in Custom and Traillii isn't, would I still pick the Bird? As important as customs are to the scheme of things to me, the short answer is... No. The long answer is (A) it's not that the Jewel is worse than the Traillii but I have a feeling it's just not tuned for the type of music I favor or sound I prefer. If female vocals J/K/Canto/Mando-pop is your poison and like the high Highs, you might choose the Gem over the Bird; (B) the Jewel is not as all-rounded as the all-rounder Traillii is -- it just loses too much ground on Classical music, some Jazz sub-genre, etc, to be the one-and-only IEM that the Traillii could well be; and (C) the Traillii universal is as comfortable as I have ever had the pleasure of wearing. Considering I have not come across any traditional UIEM, not the niche (FAD Pianofortes) or ear buds, that I could listen to for more than 30 mins, the Bird is unique, to my ears at least.
2. The A100TB was impressive. And with the PS100 (PSU I think?), it was OMG good. I have listened to the Cayin C9, the Phatlab Chimera (new version) and various other amps, and here is one (or pair) that I had no qualms buying on the spot. I for one have no clue but the open top allows some switching for signature changing or Op Amp rolling, if the user is into this sort of thing. If you are going to get the Jewel, I'd say at least get the A100TB too if not the PS100 too -- the synergy is obvious in the SQ improvements.
3. I guess most readers here are no noobs so I don't need to emphasize that this is a one person's experience, not to mention coming from an inexperienced gear reviewer -- no one should base their final purchasing decision on this! Go have a listen for yourself, if you can -- it's definitely worth it. I heard the 60+ launch units have already been spoken for so obviously there are many who had open their hearts (and massive wallets) to the Jewel. Interestingly, as I have mentioned before, Aroma Audio offers an upgrade from universal to custom at HDK3.5K (in case you are not sure about it and may wish to sell it) and the people behind the brand have also been very clear and vocal about their pricing policy of strictly no discounting for the first 4-5 years of the product life cycle so you could count on your investment holding its value for a long time.

Jan 17, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #355 of 1,876

Anyhow, thought I share my brief experience with the Aroma Audio Jewel (and the A100TB + PS100). Caveat: I am not so good with terminology and also not a reviewer so please do excuse the poor (tech) language and (pro) organization.

Prolog:
1. Comparisons will be made against the Traillii since the Jewel was touted to be the Bird slayer, which was what piqued my interest in the first place. I think I have been quite clear about how highly I rate the Traillii; the only gripe I have is the non-availability of a Custom option. I was hoping that finally there was a CIEM that was everything the Traillii was (and with a bit of luck -- MORE!), and praying, at the same time, for the sake of my wallet, that it was not!
2. DAPs used were the 300 Max Ti (as I've heard about how power-hungry this 13-driver beast was) and the HM1000K (what I wanted to use the A100TB with). The difference between these 2 DAPs -- the 3MTi being a delta-sigma dual AKM4499 and HM1K being a R2R quad PCK-1704, should provide a good impression on synergy across the 2 main mass market DAC configurations.
3. I also brought along a couple of after market cables -- a copper-based (Orpheus shielding) and a silver-variant (Centurion), having heard how the stock cable was quite inadequate, to give the Jewel every chance to sparkle and shine, pardon the pun, just in case. That said, the Traillii was listened to on its stock 1960 cable throughout the audition.

1. It is big. Both the shell and bore are considerably larger than the Traillii. I put on a MS SednaEarfitLight Short, the size I use on the Traillii and it was uncomfortable to wear right off the bat. Considering the custom will be larger than the universal, it posed an immediate concern for me.
2. It isn't as bling in real life. The blue glitter isn't so gaudy and, not sure if there is more than one variant, but the termination is a matte silver 2.5mm plug, not the gold one in some pics, that looked quite expectably run-of-the-mill.
3. Overall, it's quite typically Chifi-standard/quality, albeit premium, not unlike what you'd expect from Oriolus. In a way, it is quite appealing, to me at least, in an artisan sort of way, not the polished factory-line production unit from the big American/German brands.

1. The stock cable sucks. Lean and bright, is all I can say. I do not remember Ledisi's Ne Me Quite Pas sounded as anorexic on anything I have heard before. I suspected the Orpheus would make it better and it was confirmed to be so immediately, adding more weight to the notes and taming the brightness noticeably.
2. Poor synergy with the 300 Max Ti. As much as the Orpheus improved the sound, I couldn't hear anything that measured up to the rave. The Jewel was rated highly for vocals and said to be resolving with oodles of details. Ledisi still did not impress and Grimaud/Sawhney's Vocalise (Rachmaninov), which was a notorious mangle of flute and piano, was as messed up as I have ever heard it to be.
3. The Jewel starts to glitter with the HM1000K. Could be the R2R, could be the quad PCM-1704, whatever it was, it was a notch or six up on the same tracks on the HM1K. More refined, more controlled, better all around. With the A100TB amping the HM1K, the Jewel (on Orpheus) -- all in an USD15K rig -- was now beginning to truly show its scintillating colors. Separation on the Grimaud/Sawhney's Vocalise was much improved, with greater micro details, emerging especially on trebles.

On Further Scrutiny:
1. Vocals were good... but only selectively so. Is it possible for an IEM to be racist and sexist too? Haha! How is that the J-pop, K-pop, Mando- and Canto-pop vocals (especially female) sound better than Jazz (Carmen Gomes) and Hip Hop (Sza)? Not that they sounded bad; Gomes on A Fool for You sounded lazy, Sza's Supermodel just didn't pop, compared to Utada Hikaru's First Love which was pumping, Zhou Shen's Big Fish was as ethereal as I've ever heard it. Next, Mi Mancherai (Il Postino) by Josh Groban, on the other hand, sounded as good as I can remember it to be.
2. Details lots yes... but only on the high frequencies. In a nutshell, I did not think the Jewel out-detailed the Traillii except at the higher frequencies. Though I must add, I was aware of the additional ESTs on the Jewel -- 6 versus 4 on the Traillii -- and was consciously listening out for the differences. I guess if I wasn't doing that, I'd probably wouldn't have noticed the difference. It was not night and day, wasn't even late morning and early afternoon!
3. The Mids on the Jewel are clearly more frontal than the Traillii; Highs are somewhat thinner and the Bass, both in terms of quantity and quality, not as slamming as the Traillii. On Timbre, I guess it's down to preference. The cello on Yo Yo Ma's Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suite and guitar on Jacob Gurevitsh's If da Vinci was a Girl both sounded more natural to me. Not that the Traillii is my choice for orchestral music, but I'd pick it over the Jewel after listening to Holst Jupiter conducted by Karajan.

Summary:
1. If I didn't own the Traillii, they both cost the same and the Jewel was available in Custom and Traillii isn't, would I still pick the Bird? As important as customs are to the scheme of things to me, the short answer is... No. The long answer is (A) it's not that the Jewel is worse than the Traillii but I have a feeling it's just not tuned for the type of music I favor or sound I prefer. If female vocals J/K/Canto/Mando-pop is your poison and like the high Highs, you might choose the Gem over the Bird; (B) the Jewel is not as all-rounded as the all-rounder Traillii is -- it just loses too much ground on Classical music, some Jazz sub-genre, etc, to be the one-and-only IEM that the Traillii could well be; and (C) the Traillii universal is as comfortable as I have ever had the pleasure of wearing. Considering I have not come across any traditional UIEM, not the niche (FAD Pianofortes) or ear buds, that I could listen to for more than 30 mins, the Bird is unique, to my ears at least.
2. The A100TB was impressive. And with the PS100 (PSU I think?), it was OMG good. I have listened to the Cayin C9, the Phatlab Chimera (new version) and various other amps, and here is one (or pair) that I had no qualms buying on the spot. I for one have no clue but the open top allows some switching for signature changing or Op Amp rolling, if the user is into this sort of thing. If you are going to get the Jewel, I'd say at least get the A100TB too if not the PS100 too -- the synergy is obvious in the SQ improvements.
3. I guess most readers here are no noobs so I don't need to emphasize that this is a one person's experience, not to mention coming from an inexperienced gear reviewer -- no one should base their final purchasing decision on this! Go have a listen for yourself, if you can -- it's definitely worth it. I heard the 60+ launch units have already been spoken for so obviously there are many who had open their hearts (and massive wallets) to the Jewel. Interestingly, as I have mentioned before, Aroma Audio offers an upgrade from universal to custom at HDK3.5K (in case you are not sure about it and may wish to sell it) and the people behind the brand have also been very clear and vocal about their pricing policy of strictly no discounting for the first 4-5 years of the product life cycle so you could count on your investment holding its value for a long time.

This doesnt sound too encouraging for jewel buyers but then I had sold my bird for reason I could not quite recall. Was it perfect in reproducing every frequency spectrum but still lacks the excitement? I will decide if it's time to repurchase bird after actually hearing the jewel.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #356 of 1,876

Prolog:

On Further Scrutiny:

Summary:
Nice A100TB, was on my radar since august but when I got Duet I understood that I need it 😉
Thunder maybe doesn’t need but I’m sure an external can helps to get better sound instead of DAP integrated amp. 😊

Jan 27, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #357 of 1,876
Going back to jewel I am not sure if I am imagining things but after 50+ hours of continuous burnin feels like those 6 ESTs drivers have risen from sleep
hearing things from all different angles now on LP6 Ti. Getting dizzy yet this is quite interesting...There are those IEMs which are super good in the beginning
but not so later but this one surely surprised me in very positive way.

Jan 27, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #358 of 1,876
28796696-7EB9-4E95-9E7B-5B76D3C878A0.jpeg

Mine is approaching 60-70 hours. Love it.

Jan 27, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #359 of 1,876
Seems like Aroma incorporated 6 EST drivers to compensate the lower decibel on 6K treble region to make the sound sibilance free while keeping the resolution and realistic imaging. If this is what's really intended and prove to be so after 100+ runtime, this would be one of my favorites.

Jan 28, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #360 of 1,876
I listened to a lot of electronics and the pure separation between high pitched synthesizers and lower bass thumps is just amazing on jewel. Repetitive beat and rhythm in trance can be rather boring if delivered wrong in minutes but this is just too hypnotizing to say the least. Not one single blob of stimulation but definitely different type of multi-dimensional sensation. It's crazy that it's permitted while the IEM's still sounding warm making me believe it's not just about transparency. I feel like those 6 house-made ESTs are starting to reveal their true nature by working their wonders. Not a single drop of signals intended by the artists....good so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

• PuPS
Back