Aroma audio product impressions.
Oct 8, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #1,711 of 1,881
Hey guys! In case anyone is interested, I’m selling my Aroma Thunder on the Classifieds. Looking to get the Monarch mk3 instead. Understand that it’s cheaper, but I was a huge fan of the mk2 and I heard the mk3 is that much better. :) Here is the listing!

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/pd-aroma-thunder-mint.55489/

Oct 12, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #1,712 of 1,881
As an upgrade for my A100TB, I decided to try the opamps too, and I ordered a pair of Burson V5i Dual and a pair of Burson V6 Vivid.
I'm curious to hear what change will be in the already fantastic sound that my A100TB can give me

Oct 12, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #1,713 of 1,881
Instead of V5i I would choose V6 classic, also you can try Sparkos opamps. You can check on the Aroma 100TB thread because there are people that tried different opamps

Oct 12, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #1,715 of 1,881
Instead of V5i I would choose V6 classic, also you can try Sparkos opamps. You can check on the Aroma 100TB thread because there are people that tried different opamps
V6 Classics are no longer in production. I had written to Burson some time ago and this was the reply.
I think I'll put the V5i D in the OP1 slots.

Oct 12, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #1,716 of 1,881
If you can't find V6 classic, I would definitely choose Sparkos instead of V5i. You also need to buy raisers for the V6

Oct 12, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #1,717 of 1,881
If you can't find V6 classic, I would definitely choose Sparkos instead of V5i. You also need to buy raisers for the V6
The Burson V5s are not bad, but they lose to the V6 Vivid (I didn't have a chance to try the Classic). As for the rest, you should try Staccato or Sparkos. 3306 are small enough to accommodate a couple. Sparkos SS2590 Pro are huge.
But, of course, all this needs a place to install. However, even Burson V6 will make the device not portable.

Oct 13, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #1,718 of 1,881
AROMA FEI WAN
Specifications

• 12 drivers with 4-way crossover,

• impedance of 18Ω at 1KHz,

• sensitivity of 103 dB SPL at 100 m V RMS,

• acoustic insulation of 26 dB (CM),

• frequency response of 20-20KHz.

It is composed of 10 balanced armature drivers and 2 9.2mm dynamic drivers, with a unique patented technology called "Magnetic Phase Pair Strong Coaxial Dynamic Driver Technology". This technology involves reversing the magnetic and coil polarity of one of the dynamic drivers, resulting in improved sound density and dynamics.

19.jpg

I tried and listened to Aroma Audio FEI WAN, kindly lent by my friend Xinlisupreme. Let's start with visual and tactile contact: Shell not small but comfortable and adaptable at least to my ear canal. Transparent yellow side color, very intriguing due to the visibility of the perfect internal construction with relative driver housing. Stands out in the yellow, the coppery internal color of the copper wires. Visually the contrast is very fascinating. The upper shell is always yellow, but darker and not transparent. Very nice Aroma cable, not slippery or stiff but light and easy to handle. This too is very refined and beautiful due to the assonance of colors, where the black color of the cable meets the burnished silver color of the connector (4.4 in this case).

I ran the test with:

LP6 Ti Luxury Precision (199)

IMG_20231013_152440.jpg

Lotoo Paw Gold Touch Ti
iBasso DX320
The songs I chose for the comparison are part of my normal selection:
Rage Against the Machine (Killing in The Name) – Peter Gabriel (Apres Moi) – Jambinai (Onda) – Mono (Halcyon).

Well... with LP6 and LPGT the differences were very subtle and in fact I believe that the substantial differences were expressed more by the character of the two dap than by Fei Wan who kept his prerogatives, his character, his quality high. Different story for listening with iBasso 320.

With iBasso the mid-low and low range hits harder (whether you like it or not is a subjective factor). Very full-bodied, dense sound. Clear voices. Precise and quite detailed sound.
IMG_20231013_151955.jpg

With LPGT the low range has less texture and sounds less deep in the mid-bass. Increase the speed and the sound remains more fluid but with less body. With LP6 Ti (199) it seems to be in the middle between iBasso and LPGT. Everything sounds more compliant and above all balanced. It remains a bit less "cold" than LPGT where the sound remains clear (without ever exaggerating). LP6 Ti (199) has a great personality and of the 3 daps it is the one that best suits Fei Wan's character. He gives it a more correct sound than on LPGT or iBasso320.

Same thing about the midrange. I sound quite close with LPGT and LP6 Ti, where (like the Jewel) you get lost in the quality (high I must say) and I think it is the star of listening to Fei Wan. Structured voices, just a hair behind the instruments, but by equalizing LP6 Ti and LPGT you can adjust this parameter (if desired). Very clean, precise high range. From memory I would perhaps venture to say that personally I prefer the high range of Fei Wan to that of Jewel. Su Fei Wan seems fresher, bolder, freer. With LP6 Ti the sound remains enveloping, soft, but always responds excellently when the songs require energy and liveliness.

With iBasso both the mid range and the high range remain very very granitic. The sound acquires great power and structure. All this is a bit to the detriment of focus and three-dimensionality. The sound, while remaining qualitative, remains less fluid and a little less fast than with the other two Daps. But I repeat...here there is also a personalized issue of listening pleasure. I'm notoriously not a fan of low range. The sound of iBasso is therefore the one where Fei Wan's low range is most exalted. Although I prefer Fei Wan's low range with LPGT, where it loses a bit of body and remains drier and more controlled.

IMG_20231013_151609.jpg

The characteristics of Fei Wan, however dap regardless, are very clear. She is different from Thunder, different from Ace and Jewel. In common with Jewel, I appreciate the quality of the midrange. On the high range it remains the most pleasant Aroma that I have listened to so far. A mix of quality and freshness that is not easy to combine in a single iem. The sound has a good soundstage. Neither immense nor narrow. But very well circumscribed. It seems to be in an excellently treated recording room. Where the sound remains neither analytical nor artificial in the opposite sense. The voices are good in general, always and anyway. On LPGT they are slightly advanced compared to the instruments, while on LP6 they seem more in line with the instruments. With iBasso the voices are more structured but barely veiled. The high range was a revelation for me. Clear, full, fast, never tiring or lacking. I found it perfect if I may say so.

I had Aroma Ace. I listened carefully to Thunder and tried Jewel for a few hours. I'm not hiding: Among these (each of which I liked for different reasons) I however find that this is a sort of collection of the work done by Aroma previously for a different product. I found Fei Wan to be very balanced throughout. Harmonious, but fast, open, but without overdoing it. It's not the iem that you put on and say "Wow" (as happened to me with Viking Ragnar for example), but after a while you forget you have it. She is light, sweet, never tiring. A listen that is never tiring or demanding, but still of high quality, like almost all the Aromas I mentioned. If I were to buy an Aroma today, I would definitely get Fei Wan. A truly new product. Unexpected…that you still think about it even after a few hours of listening, trying to find its flaws….

Congratulations Aroma

Oct 13, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #1,719 of 1,881
AROMA FEI WAN
Specifications

• 12 drivers with 4-way crossover,

• impedance of 18Ω at 1KHz,

• sensitivity of 103 dB SPL at 100 m V RMS,

• acoustic insulation of 26 dB (CM),

• frequency response of 20-20KHz.

It is composed of 10 balanced armature drivers and 2 9.2mm dynamic drivers, with a unique patented technology called "Magnetic Phase Pair Strong Coaxial Dynamic Driver Technology". This technology involves reversing the magnetic and coil polarity of one of the dynamic drivers, resulting in improved sound density and dynamics.

19.jpg
I tried and listened to Aroma Audio FEI WAN, kindly lent by my friend Xinlisupreme. Let's start with visual and tactile contact: Shell not small but comfortable and adaptable at least to my ear canal. Transparent yellow side color, very intriguing due to the visibility of the perfect internal construction with relative driver housing. Stands out in the yellow, the coppery internal color of the copper wires. Visually the contrast is very fascinating. The upper shell is always yellow, but darker and not transparent. Very nice Aroma cable, not slippery or stiff but light and easy to handle. This too is very refined and beautiful due to the assonance of colors, where the black color of the cable meets the burnished silver color of the connector (4.4 in this case).

I ran the test with:

LP6 Ti Luxury Precision (199)

IMG_20231013_152440.jpg
Lotoo Paw Gold Touch Ti
iBasso DX320
The songs I chose for the comparison are part of my normal selection:
Rage Against the Machine (Killing in The Name) – Peter Gabriel (Apres Moi) – Jambinai (Onda) – Mono (Halcyon).

Well... with LP6 and LPGT the differences were very subtle and in fact I believe that the substantial differences were expressed more by the character of the two dap than by Fei Wan who kept his prerogatives, his character, his quality high. Different story for listening with iBasso 320.

With iBasso the mid-low and low range hits harder (whether you like it or not is a subjective factor). Very full-bodied, dense sound. Clear voices. Precise and quite detailed sound.
IMG_20231013_151955.jpg
With LPGT the low range has less texture and sounds less deep in the mid-bass. Increase the speed and the sound remains more fluid but with less body. With LP6 Ti (199) it seems to be in the middle between iBasso and LPGT. Everything sounds more compliant and above all balanced. It remains a bit less "cold" than LPGT where the sound remains clear (without ever exaggerating). LP6 Ti (199) has a great personality and of the 3 daps it is the one that best suits Fei Wan's character. He gives it a more correct sound than on LPGT or iBasso320.

Same thing about the midrange. I sound quite close with LPGT and LP6 Ti, where (like the Jewel) you get lost in the quality (high I must say) and I think it is the star of listening to Fei Wan. Structured voices, just a hair behind the instruments, but by equalizing LP6 Ti and LPGT you can adjust this parameter (if desired). Very clean, precise high range. From memory I would perhaps venture to say that personally I prefer the high range of Fei Wan to that of Jewel. Su Fei Wan seems fresher, bolder, freer. With LP6 Ti the sound remains enveloping, soft, but always responds excellently when the songs require energy and liveliness.

With iBasso both the mid range and the high range remain very very granitic. The sound acquires great power and structure. All this is a bit to the detriment of focus and three-dimensionality. The sound, while remaining qualitative, remains less fluid and a little less fast than with the other two Daps. But I repeat...here there is also a personalized issue of listening pleasure. I'm notoriously not a fan of low range. The sound of iBasso is therefore the one where Fei Wan's low range is most exalted. Although I prefer Fei Wan's low range with LPGT, where it loses a bit of body and remains drier and more controlled.

IMG_20231013_151609.jpg
The characteristics of Fei Wan, however dap regardless, are very clear. She is different from Thunder, different from Ace and Jewel. In common with Jewel, I appreciate the quality of the midrange. On the high range it remains the most pleasant Aroma that I have listened to so far. A mix of quality and freshness that is not easy to combine in a single iem. The sound has a good soundstage. Neither immense nor narrow. But very well circumscribed. It seems to be in an excellently treated recording room. Where the sound remains neither analytical nor artificial in the opposite sense. The voices are good in general, always and anyway. On LPGT they are slightly advanced compared to the instruments, while on LP6 they seem more in line with the instruments. With iBasso the voices are more structured but barely veiled. The high range was a revelation for me. Clear, full, fast, never tiring or lacking. I found it perfect if I may say so.

I had Aroma Ace. I listened carefully to Thunder and tried Jewel for a few hours. I'm not hiding: Among these (each of which I liked for different reasons) I however find that this is a sort of collection of the work done by Aroma previously for a different product. I found Fei Wan to be very balanced throughout. Harmonious, but fast, open, but without overdoing it. It's not the iem that you put on and say "Wow" (as happened to me with Viking Ragnar for example), but after a while you forget you have it. She is light, sweet, never tiring. A listen that is never tiring or demanding, but still of high quality, like almost all the Aromas I mentioned. If I were to buy an Aroma today, I would definitely get Fei Wan. A truly new product. Unexpected…that you still think about it even after a few hours of listening, trying to find its flaws….

Congratulations Aroma
Great review . Thanks 👍

Oct 16, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #1,720 of 1,881
After a bit of hesitation, and listening to the always excellent advice of @Tokpakorlo always very helpful, I replaced the stock opamps of my A100TB with a pair of Burson V5i D and V6 Vivid D.
I was already totally satisfied with the performance that the A100TB can given (with its PS100 pro power supply), but this update literally left me breathless.

Using my stack, A&K SP3000 + Jewel+ Orpheus S (cable and IC), I immediately noticed an incredible increase in dynamics, with resolution and details at crazy levels, an even more extreme and engaging soundstage. The sound, already extraordinary, gets a further step towards the musical/organic, with incredible mids, powerful and never bombastic bass, and simply superb highs (it seems that Jewel's Ests truly perform at 100% of their potential), ultra black background.
I listened to songs that I know perfectly, and I'm sure I've never heard them in such a spectacular and engaging way. A true joy.
These Burson V5i D (in the input slots) and V6 Vivid (in the output slots), are the cherry on my cake, already super.
Truly amazing what they have added to my stack.
For those interested, I can only recommend trying an A100TB+ Ps100pro with these Bursons.
Pure magic

Oct 16, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #1,721 of 1,881
After a bit of hesitation, and listening to the always excellent advice of @Tokpakorlo always very helpful, I replaced the stock opamps of my A100TB with a pair of Burson V5i D and V6 Vivid D.
I was already totally satisfied with the performance that the A100TB can given (with its PS100 pro power supply), but this update literally left me breathless.

Using my stack, A&K SP3000 + Jewel+ Orpheus S (cable and IC), I immediately noticed an incredible increase in dynamics, with resolution and details at crazy levels, an even more extreme and engaging soundstage. The sound, already extraordinary, gets a further step towards the musical/organic, with incredible mids, powerful and never bombastic bass, and simply superb highs (it seems that Jewel's Ests truly perform at 100% of their potential), ultra black background.
I listened to songs that I know perfectly, and I'm sure I've never heard them in such a spectacular and engaging way. A true joy.
These Burson V5i D (in the input slots) and V6 Vivid (in the output slots), are the cherry on my cake, already super.
Truly amazing what they have added to my stack.
For those interested, I can only recommend trying an A100TB+ Ps100pro with these Bursons.
Pure magic
Amazing amazing!! I was also suggested the Bursons by @Tokpakorlo , I am just avoiding them as the default ones sound so incredible. I think it’s the time I change them. Can you please share a small video on how to change the opamps? That will be extremely helpful.

Thanks

Oct 16, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #1,722 of 1,881
Amazing amazing!! I was also suggested the Bursons by @Tokpakorlo , I am just avoiding them as the default ones sound so incredible. I think it’s the time I change them. Can you please share a small video on how to change the opamps? That will be extremely helpful.

Thanks
It's very easy. To remove the stock Opamps, you must use the tweezers supplied with the A100TB.
They are to be taken from the side and lifted upwards.
To place the Bursons, you just need to gently push them into the OP1 L and OP1 R slots, and into the two OP2 L and OP2 R slots.
To put the V6s in the output slots (OP2), you also need to get the extension cords.
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/opa/extension-for-opa-dip8-copper-occ-silver-30mm-p-13046.html
for useful advice you can ask @Tokpakorlo who is more expert than me 😉

Oct 16, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #1,723 of 1,881

Thanks
Important : on the Burson website they explain how to put them in the correct direction (there is a half moon printed both on the Opamps and in the slots of your A100TB, which indicates the direction)

Oct 21, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #1,724 of 1,881
Connecting the PS100 to the Aroma A100TB amp is such a nightmare. Not sure why such sockets exist. I think they help in a cleaner power supply? But the socket makes it really unusable at times. I have been struggling to insert the pin for last 30 minutes.

image.jpg

Oct 23, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #1,725 of 1,881
Does anyone use the Sparkos 3602 dual with the A100TB? In the input or output stage?
How does it improves sound? Does it fit into the A100TB chassis with the lid closed?

Please add a photo.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back