Army-Fi?
Mar 16, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #32 of 41
Yeah I know, most of the airmen are actually ground combatants.
Intel is cool. Get to uh... get to wear headsets and sit in front of a radio (sorry my only impression for intel officers are from movies).

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #33 of 41

Quote:
Interesting responses. Does anyone here participate in the reserves? I've been thinking about going into the Army's JAG Reserve some time in 2009. I've been considering it for a few years, but next year would work out well for me.

I was in the reserves.  Not sure about the Army but it was far from one weekend a month for us.  During a 6 year reserve stint I served a total in excess of 3 years of active duty which is one short of a 4 year AD contract.  A bit more than one weekend a month plus one month a year.  There is actually a lot of underlying discrimination against Reservists if you have a normal civilian job.  Depends if you have a boss and company that is more understanding.  I was once asked to skip training w/ my unit by my boss' boss.  I told him if he could get the President's approval that should be fine since he's my other boss.  

The Army and Marines have a very high rotation to the mid east atm so I would be prepared to deploy if I were considering joining.  You would probably be sent over to counsel detainees, suspects, service personnel charged w/ crimes, etc.  When I was on temporary recruiting duty I met a kid that joined the National Guard because he was told he would only fight forest fires in California.  I told him he would be in Iraq in 2-3 months.  Guess who knew what they were talking about.  I'm not a fan of the Army way of doing things myself but they have their mission and philosophy and people join it voluntarily so whatever.  The only Army folk I tip my cover too are Green Berets.

Quote:
One thing I don't get about the US army.
Are the Marines part of the army? Are the Rangers part of the army? What's the difference between those two?

Rangers are part of the Army, Marines were part of the Navy.  Marines now stand apart from the Navy but share common heritage, traditions and language.  It's completely different from the Army.  The US Marines are the closest thing the US has to an institutionalized form of Sparta.  The Marines are an amphibious Shock force designed to be the main initial strike force for any potential invasion or attack.  Roles like occupation and police duty are secondary for Marines where those would be primary functions for the Army.  Marines are the smallest branch of the DoD discounting the USCG yet are self sufficient in combat operations as Marines can provide their own troops, armor, artillery, air support and logistics.  The Marines don't need tanks from the Army or planes from the Air Force though we often work w/ them on a larger scale.  We do work w/ the Navy for transport and there is always a battlegroup w/ a contingent of Marines ready to deploy to any potential hot spot around the world within 24 hours. The USMC likes to be autonomous and manage things in its own way in its own AO (Area of Operation).  The Marines have even been perceived in Iraq and Afghanistan as being a separate NATO country unto itself.  The psychology and social structure of the Marines are quite different from the Army to say the least.  I'd have to publish a journal to enumerate the differences.  This is about as polite as I can be discussing that topic.

Try to learn what you can while in the IDF and make the most of the experience.  I wonder if any global preconceptions change for you afterward.  Best wishes.  

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #34 of 41
I was in the Canadian Armed Forces (har har, get the jokes out of your system now) for a year, Infantry, part of the PPCLI. To cut a long story short, I ended up leaving due to having the misfortune of injuring my leg, it's now been three-four years I believe. Once I start hitting the gym again I'll likely reenlist in a year or two, it's a good life to be sure.

Either way, to those who have decided to join, thinking of joining, or even support their countries Military force, whether you live in the States or Germany, and for whatever your reason was, I salute you.

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #36 of 41
I spent eight years in the Canadian Forces as a communications technician.
That was twenty years ago now...I really enjoyed my time and got to travel
quite a lot. Got to know all the bars in Kingston. I left the Forces because
I felt it was time for a change. After the Forces I worked for IBM and eventually
Solectron/Flextronics.

Mar 20, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #40 of 41
Not quite the role of the Army.  The Army has been undergoing transformation into a modular force of self-sufficient Brigades & we have quite the fair share of our own 'shock troops', at any given time a large part of the 82nd Airborne is 'on call' with a requirement to be able to have boots on the ground within 72 hours, world wide.  Not to mention the Ranger Regiments, Special Forces Groups & Delta Force.

If I were you I'd tip my hat to any other service-member who does their duty.  I've been combat arms & I've been combat support.  I'd also think you'd tip your hat to our most recent Medal Of Honor recipient... he wasn't SF.  Speaking of which, never call someone in SF a "green beret", the common response is "Do I look like a f*cking hat?"

Didn't Marine Recon get kicked out of SOCOM?  Just teasing (but really, they did get kicked out).

Open your mind a bit, the psychology & social structure are the same throughout the services.  There are plenty of Coasties, Airmen & Soldiers that have done much cooler things than you my friend.  It's fun to tease but it's pretty irritating that you're portraying the Army how you are to an international audience.

If you're ever in eastern NC drop me a PM, I'd be happy to buy you a beer.

SSG Andrews

Quote:
I was in the reserves.  Not sure about the Army but it was far from one weekend a month for us.  During a 6 year reserve stint I served a total in excess of 3 years of active duty which is one short of a 4 year AD contract.  A bit more than one weekend a month plus one month a year.  There is actually a lot of underlying discrimination against Reservists if you have a normal civilian job.  Depends if you have a boss and company that is more understanding.  I was once asked to skip training w/ my unit by my boss' boss.  I told him if he could get the President's approval that should be fine since he's my other boss.  

The Army and Marines have a very high rotation to the mid east atm so I would be prepared to deploy if I were considering joining.  You would probably be sent over to counsel detainees, suspects, service personnel charged w/ crimes, etc.  When I was on temporary recruiting duty I met a kid that joined the National Guard because he was told he would only fight forest fires in California.  I told him he would be in Iraq in 2-3 months.  Guess who knew what they were talking about.  I'm not a fan of the Army way of doing things myself but they have their mission and philosophy and people join it voluntarily so whatever.  The only Army folk I tip my cover too are Green Berets.

Rangers are part of the Army, Marines were part of the Navy.  Marines now stand apart from the Navy but share common heritage, traditions and language.  It's completely different from the Army.  The US Marines are the closest thing the US has to an institutionalized form of Sparta.  The Marines are an amphibious Shock force designed to be the main initial strike force for any potential invasion or attack.  Roles like occupation and police duty are secondary for Marines where those would be primary functions for the Army.  Marines are the smallest branch of the DoD discounting the USCG yet are self sufficient in combat operations as Marines can provide their own troops, armor, artillery, air support and logistics.  The Marines don't need tanks from the Army or planes from the Air Force though we often work w/ them on a larger scale.  We do work w/ the Navy for transport and there is always a battlegroup w/ a contingent of Marines ready to deploy to any potential hot spot around the world within 24 hours. The USMC likes to be autonomous and manage things in its own way in its own AO (Area of Operation).  The Marines have even been perceived in Iraq and Afghanistan as being a separate NATO country unto itself.  The psychology and social structure of the Marines are quite different from the Army to say the least.  I'd have to publish a journal to enumerate the differences.  This is about as polite as I can be discussing that topic.

Try to learn what you can while in the IDF and make the most of the experience.  I wonder if any global preconceptions change for you afterward.  Best wishes.  

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #41 of 41

Quote:
Well, Sarge...these are just my experiences and opinions mostly regarding institutions not individuals.  But to respond in kind, take this as constructive criticism.

Not quite the role of the Army.  The Army has been undergoing transformation into a modular force of self-sufficient Brigades & we have quite the fair share of our own 'shock troops', at any given time a large part of the 82nd Airborne is 'on call' with a requirement to be able to have boots on the ground within 72 hours, world wide.  Not to mention the Ranger Regiments, Special Forces Groups & Delta Force.

First off, don't get me started on 'Rangers' or the remnants of what used to be 'Delta Force' as it stands today.  We used to run circles around the Airborne we came across and we were a mechanized unit.  In fact, it was precisely because of that we had to run 6-8 miles regularly.  I didn't mean to imply the role of the Army is solely Occupation and police enforcement but it is in fact yours before any other branches.  That is not the mission statement of the Navy, Air Force or Marines.  

Yeah, the Army has been 'transforming' itself into some ambiguous ethereal persona for the past 20 or so years.  Now 'every soldier is a rifleman' (sound familiar?) after the Jessica Lynch fiasco et al.  Let's not pretend the basic training, psychology and structure of the Army is anything like the Marine Corps.  You seem to think the only difference between branches is the color of their uniforms.  I respectfully disagree.  Most times differences can even be found the minute a recruit even steps through the door.  I could even site you consistent real world samples you could use as a case study simply by visiting MEPs.  I've had enough exposure to the Army, personnel and training to prefer keeping to ourselves whenever possible.  Sorry, but an 8 week basic training session where you are given your rank immediately, can order pizza on weekends, have 3 graduation phases to enjoy the company of your family and throw 'stress' cards at your Drill Sergeant because he hurt your feelings is far from intimidating.  Are you aware the Army visits Marine Boot camp regularly to learn training techniques?  Are you aware if Marines transfer services they are not required to attend basic training of any other branch of service (exception being additional swim indoctrination for the Coast Guard) but the reverse is not true?  I can't even count the number of times the Army has dangled money in front of mine and others faces to switch over.  I don't know of a single case of the reverse.  Btw, where do you think the Army got the idea for modular self sufficient brigades? 

If I were you I'd tip my hat to any other service-member who does their duty.  I've been combat arms & I've been combat support.  I'd also think you'd tip your hat to our most recent Medal Of Honor recipient... he wasn't SF.  Speaking of which, never call someone in SF a "green beret", the common response is "Do I look like a f*cking hat?"

I happily tip my hat to any service member that does his duty with enthusiasm that is earned.  I don't tip my hat to anyone just because they put on a uniform hoping to get College money or because the military was their last option.  While I can respect a MoH winner I certainly don't go Ga-Ga and bow down to anyone just because they have a particular decoration.  I'm more concerned w/ who they are as a person and a professional.  How that translates into affecting my unit rather than how their fruit salad looks on their dress uniform.  I'm all to familiar with how different units and branches determine their criteria for awards and honors to be so enamoured as yourself.  I've seen many decorated individuals who sat on their butt pressing a button from hundreds of miles out of country or those who simply tried to get in the blast radius of an IED during the aftermath to 'qualify'.  I'd like to see some decorated people who sit on their ass spend just one day w/ a young, undecorated PFC going house to house kicking down doors, clearing rooms filled with civilians and tangos alike.  As we were both Combat Arms we both know there is nothing in the military more difficult.  I can tell you what 'qualifies' as a Bronze star in one service gets you nothing in another.  Btw, isn't that what the Army gave Pat Tillman?  Speaking of Fratricide, perhaps my amibvilence stems from the disproportionate amount the Army seems to be responsible for.  During my time 'abroad' we lost more M1 tanks due to Army incompetence than we did from Al Qaeda.  Those incompetent, undisciplined juvenilles you guys had running Abu Grhaib didn't do any favors for us either did they?  Where was the training?  The honor and professionalism?  How many Marines do you see defecting or being captured to be used as propaganda pawns?  How many are self serving, egotistical political martyrs for Wikileaks?  How many Marines are radical jihadists that go unchecked and ignored for years so they can open up on their fellow troops?  As it stands I'd prefer to fight w/ our lowest common denominator over yours anyday.  Nothing personal but you guys need to fix your house.  Or as you put it, 'transform'.  As for "Do I look like a f*cking hat?" my response is you all do to me!  
wink.gif
  I think the whole Army wears berets made in China right?  
tongue.gif

Didn't Marine Recon get kicked out of SOCOM?  Just teasing (but really, they did get kicked out).

But really, they didn't.  If you recall it was the Marines that have been declining invites from SOCOM for almost the last 50 years.  I like your 'colored' presumption.  Reminds me of the BS people used to come in saying what the Army had told them about the Marines.  Obviously, you don't know the difference between Marine Recon battalions and Marine Force Reconnaissance.  Which explains why you didn't know most of Force Recon was cannibalized and reorganized to make MARSOC which IS part of SOCOM.  But I like how you guys keep spreading false rumors.  Google is your friend.  Click here.  Then you can find a link to here and here.

Open your mind a bit, the psychology & social structure are the same throughout the services. 

Wrong, sorry.  This statement really makes me wonder about what your experience is, no offense.

There are plenty of Coasties, Airmen & Soldiers that have done much cooler things than you my friend.  

Again, I was talking institutions and you seem to want to unzip someone else's fly rather than your own.  I don't seem to remember discussing any branch other than the Army and Marines as asked by the OP.  Obviously you feel the need to go off on random tangents since you couldn't engage a single one of my original points.  I also didn't know you had my service record in front of you.  Or perhaps that was George Clooney playing you in 'The Men who stare at Goats'?  Honestly, whatever your 'perception' of me is, I could give a rat's a**.  I'm happy w/ my contribution and that's all that matters.  

It's fun to tease but it's pretty irritating that you're portraying the Army how you are to an international audience.

You know what's even more irritating?  Being shot at by my own national forces because of ineptitude.  That's what annoys me.  There is a reason the Marines prefer to operate on their own.  It was a lesson learned in history at the expense of blood.  Everytime Marines try joint operations it usually ends up w/ Marines in body bags.  So you keep your cool stories, your freaking medals and your beer.  I'm not your friend or your cubicle office buddy so cut the BS.  I can tell from this discussion we have little if anything in common which basically supports my point when you get down to it.  I've said nothing that couldn't be found on the internet, watching the news or simply keeping well informed.      

I was asked a question by the OP and gave my honest answer to a person who may soon well be putting their own life in harms way.  I'm not the Army's recruiting poster, I'll leave that to others.  Perhaps you feel my answer was imbalanced?  Fine.  Join the Marines, you'll get the worst food, worst lodging, worst equipment in the US military.  You'll be largely treated as sub human and should expect little if any awards or recognition for your efforts.  Paperwork for benefits will be largely mishandled and improperly processed.  If you have a family emergency or problem forget about support.  Mission first, everything else is secondary.  You are meant to be a cog in a well oiled machine, the individual means little if anything.  If you want to serve the US and expect climate controlled housing, regular bathing and a nice fat signing bonus, go somewhere else.  Even if the Marines had the money, they wouldn't want to give it to you since they can only afford to shop at the Salvation Army.  If you care about YOU, go somewhere else.  If you're still interested, there is something wrong with you and the Marines might be a good match.  
very_evil_smiley.gif

If you're ever in eastern NC drop me a PM, I'd be happy to buy you a beer.

Thx for offer, but next time save the beer and send me a PM instead.  

There are excellent folk in every service, make no mistake.  In general, the Army way isn't my way.  Apparently it is for others.  All this aside, I'm more interested to see if some possible form of democracy can spread across the Mid East.  Or if something uglier rears its dogmatic, intolerant head.  In which case everything I was part of would go to hell in a hand basket.  I'm sure the OP has even more at stake. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back