armoured cable phones
Aug 24, 2009 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cola8

New Head-Fier
smily_headphones1.gif
hello . is there anyway I can take the armoured cable off ?
it is almost 1/3 weight of whole phones.
any help would be grateful. thanks

Aug 24, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cola8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
hello . is there anyway I can take the armoured cable off ?
it is almost 1/3 weight of whole phones.
any help would be grateful. thanks

Um...what headphone are you talking about? What is an "armoured" cable? Are you talking about the sheathing of the cable?

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #5 of 12
Funny you're asking, because I just did this on Saturday on my MB Quart QP 805 M, which is basically the same headphone
smily_headphones1.gif
It is also used in those listening booths in music shops.
Unfortunately, I found out that the metal sheathing is permanently attached to the driver housing. What I did was simply use a saw for cutting metal and carefully cut the outer sheathing close to the cup (I only left about 2-3cm as a strain relief for the cable) while leaving the actual cable intact. It's very easy when you're careful and do it slowly. BUT! to get the cut sheathing actually off the cable I also had to cut off the plug, because it was too bulky and holding the sheathing in place. So I reterminated the headphones afterwards, which of course requires soldering, but rather basic.
Btw, when you're putting on a new plug (and IF your wires are the same colour. I think they should be.) the colour codes are - yellow = left channel, gray = right channel, brown = ground.
Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Let me know how it went or if you need anything else.

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 12
Honestly I didn't find how to open the housing so it's possible that there might be another way, but from what I saw through the holes around driver after removing the felt ring - the metal sheathing inside the cup seemed to be wider so as not to be possible to pull it out through the hole and it looked like it was cast in some plastic, the surface of which was uneven like it was left to cool and seal the sheathing permanently. But it wasn't very clear to see only through the holes, so asking the manufacturer is probably a good idea.

Aug 24, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 12
thanks guys.
I guess the steel wrap is there to protect the phones from whatever happen in those listening booth.
i will try koshman's way. but first i should get a spare jack.
thanks again.

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #9 of 12
hi, i succesfully took steel sheathing out of the cable lastnight. rather unusual way.

1) peel the end of the rubber(one covering steel sheathing) cover off ( near to the plug )

2) cut the end of the steel sheathing (about 2mm)

3)now you can simply uncoil the sheathing. it comes off like spiral( be careful with sharp steel end) it took me whole 40minutes to uncoil the steel

eventually, you got to cut the pilled off sheathing several times in order to uncoil it easilly. when you reach about 2~3cm to the phone, cut the steel sheathing and finish with cable tape or use whatever you prefer to look neat.

I am very happy that it looks clean and light.
sorry about my english. i hope I explain the procedure properly. thanks.

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #10 of 12
Great
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually I was wondering if it was possible to do it your way, but the end of the sheathing seemed solid and it didn't struck me to try and cut off a little piece
smily_headphones1.gif

Good for you.
I haven't put anything on the stub yet...
Btw, are you happy with the sound? My MB Quarts should really be identical only with different branding. I bought them new and after about 35 hours burn-in they really are coming out great - rather flat, even frequency response, impactful bass and extended highs.

Aug 30, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #11 of 12
it sounds very good for my ears. i wish the sound stage is little bigger but I am not complainning.
I have heard dbi pro 700 has different drvers. I preaty sure mb quart and german maestro have same drivers.
i was gonna get the german maestro phones but it was over my budget.
I want to try them someday. they are kind of hard to find where i live( canada)
I am very happy with my dbi pro 700( much better than dbi pro 705)
they are very well built. has good tight sound.very comfortable and light ( now even lighter).
dt880smile.png
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back