Argh! So many options...
Nov 22, 2011 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

PhoenixRisen

New Head-Fier
Finally joined up just to ask opinions on what headphones would be decent for me. I've lurked on the forums for a month or so, looking, searching and reading. I had finally decided on the Grado s225i's but figured before jumping into the deep end of the this brave new, weird world I'd ask for some opinions.

Anyhow, these are some of my "wants" headphones that will comfortablely fit someone with a big head, I'd prefer headphones that fit over my ears instead of on, i mostly listen to rock music but with a slight mix of country and top 40 music. The heaviest thing that will be played on them is Metallica's Black Album. I would like to find a pair that works decently well with games and movies as well but I know that would amount to a perfect headphone, which is out of my budget and possibly unattainable anyways. My budget at the top end is 300 but would like to spend less than that if possible. The only headphones I've ever owned are some Koss KSC75's and my current headphones Sennheiser PX100's. I really like my Senn's just want something with a little more oomph. Not worried about them being portable, open or closed is fine.  Just curious about peoples opinions that know way more about me on this subject. I'd love to be able to personally audition the more oft mentioned headphones but the only store around me that has headphones to listen to is Best Buy and they pretty much just push the Beats and I'll pass on that.

Thanks in advance and sorry for being like everyone else and asking for recommendations but I'm totally drowning in information. lol

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 2
Grado:

Fits a big head: ehh
Over ears instead of on: nope
Rock music: awesome
Country music: awesome
Metallica: awesome
Top 40s: good to awesome
Oomph: tons

I would also take a look at Sennheiser HD 25-1 II for more portable-minded tastes; and Audio Technica A900 for big and comfortable with tons of "oomph", some isolation, and great sound. Both around $150-200. The Grado are still a great choice though, and the 225i is the one to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back