Argh! Persistent static/distortion. Please help diagnose!
Dec 19, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #16 of 24
HeatFan12,

OK, just tried out Kernel Streaming, too. Same result as with the others. I even went down to 200ms and 50ms. No difference.

To try and rule out source issues, I listened to both "Rockferry" and "No One" through Spotify, making sure that I was listening to the streaming version, not my local copy. Static still there. So it can't be my source files. 

Regards,
Adam

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #17 of 24
Yup, sorry I actually figured it out shortly after my post above. Unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem. By the way, I've listed to the same FLAC files through my HiFiMAN HM-601: no static. So it is definitely something in the Caiman and in the uDAC-2.

Best,
Adam

Dec 21, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #18 of 24

Quote:
Yup, sorry I actually figured it out shortly after my post above. Unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem. By the way, I've listed to the same FLAC files through my HiFiMAN HM-601: no static. So it is definitely something in the Caiman and in the uDAC-2.

Best,
Adam

Did you try using your DAC with different input type (Optical/Coaxial)?
Can you maybe try and use different source (CDP /Playstation ...)?

Maybe your DAC is faulty ?
I saw that you compared the results with uDAC-2, but it might be bad too.
Do you have access to any high-end DAC ?
Maybe the problem is that low end DACs are just not good enough for you

/gabriel

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #20 of 24
I also have the same problem with the static and distortion which IS driving me crazy! Although I'm just connecting my Cowon j3 directly to ATH-M50... The duet of Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli's "Time to say good bye" (flac) was one of my favorite songs and I find myself avoiding it because of the statics...AHHH

Hopefully the solution to your problem would also shed some light on mine...

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #21 of 24
Sounds like an equipment issue.  I had some distortion on the left channel of my speaker amp and one of my caps was leaking.  I would have someone check it out for sure.

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #22 of 24
I'm having a series of upgrades performed on the Caiman, including the insertion of a Burson V2 discrete opamp, so I'm hoping that will solve the problem. I'll keep you updated when I get it back.

Best,
Adam

Dec 25, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
HeatFan12,

OK, just tried out Kernel Streaming, too. Same result as with the others. I even went down to 200ms and 50ms. No difference.

To try and rule out source issues, I listened to both "Rockferry" and "No One" through Spotify, making sure that I was listening to the streaming version, not my local copy. Static still there. So it can't be my source files. 

Regards,
Adam

Hello, i've listened the song "No One" from the album "As I Am" from Alicia Keys, (ripped from the Original CD) and i can heard that you qualify as "statics", it's exactly the same kind of sound you can hear while listening a old vinyl disc, my setup is not really "Low End" : Audio-GD DAC 19-DSP -> Audio-GD C-2 (OPA Moon) -> Swan M200 MkIII (and AKG K601 or K340). 

In my opinion it's not a problem, it's just that your setup let you listen some details that you never noticed or heard before :)

Listen the song "Owner of a lonely heart" from "Yes", when you'll listen the first riff of distorted guitars you"ll notice a slight "static noise" in the highs, it's not your DAC or Amp that is faulty, it's just that you can heard all the details of the music :)

Try to listen this song and tell me if you heard the same ?

Dec 26, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #24 of 24
I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank everyone who responded to this thread. I got the Caiman back with the upgrades installed and with the Burson opamp. I also got a pair of Denon AH-D2000 headphones. The system now sounds absolutely phenomenal - crystal clear. I have zero complaints in the sounds quality department. The static is still there, but I am now convinced it is a source file issue. I also went back and re-listened to the tracks on my HiFiMAN HM-601 and I DO hear the static, so it would be too much of a coincidence for the same problem to appear with three different DACs. I am just shocked that such flaws exist in bit-perfect copies from CDs. I know I have read several times that CDs actually have a lot of errors buried inside them, well...now I believe it. Anyone thanks to everyone, I can now stop worrying and just enjoy the music. I'm still astonished at what this system can pull out of music files I thought I knew well...

Happy New Year!

Best,
Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back