Argh! How to solder something to a pin?
Aug 6, 2001 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

wab

500+ Head-Fier
For example, how to solder a wire to volume-pot-pin? I need to hold the soldering-iron, apply solder and also keep the wire in place! How do you DIY-ers do this?

Thanks!
wab

Aug 6, 2001 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 20
one way to do it is to tin the wire, then tin the pin, and then hold the wire against the pin and apply the iron.

Aug 7, 2001 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 20
yeh, make a little hook out of the wire and set it on the pin, that should hold it in place long enough to get some solder on it.

Aug 7, 2001 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 20
Well, when I was soldering wire to the jacks (which had the solder-tab thingys too big for my wire wrapping tool) I just bent the wire around the tab, loaded up the (blade/wedge/spade-type) soldering-iron tip with solder, and applied it to the post for a sec. The pressure held the wire in place, while the solder ensured the post/wire got hot quick, and then I removed the tip, and enough solder stayed back to keep the wire on the post.

Aug 7, 2001 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 20
i think eric makes a good point. i actually wire wrap my pots too. a lot of the cheaper ones go bad pretty quickly, so it's easier to replace a pot that's been wire wrapped. and wire wrapping can be easier.

Aug 7, 2001 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 20
Wire wrapping as opposed to what is easier? EDIT: for replacing pots.

Aug 7, 2001 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 20
imdao (in my dumb ass opinion), it's easier to unwrap the pins of a pot than to desolder them, and wire wrapping can be easier than soldering.

Aug 7, 2001 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 20
So when wire-wrapping you don't use any solder right? I did a search on this on Google and found out you need a special tool to do this, can anyone tell me a little more about these?

Aug 7, 2001 at 3:44 PM Post #11 of 20
Well if you're looking at automagic mechanical W/W tools, sure they're pricey. But if you go to your local Radio Schak you'll find they have a little manual W/W tool for $5-10.

Aug 7, 2001 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 20
Well a really good aid for soldering that is often overlooked is the use of flux. I don't recommend it's use on pc boards (due to the very tight areas your working in) but for wires, switches, jacks, and larger landings on pc boards it certainly makes the job alot easier/neater. It also helps to ensure better connections! Its purpose is to help the solder flow easier and more evenly.

Aug 8, 2001 at 4:25 AM Post #13 of 20
Flux is a good thing it is used in Manufacturing for Rework all the Time and The Stuff thay uswe is Blue Liquid. Then it all comes off in the Board wash. For DIyer at home if you have an old but still working Dishwasher this is great to Wash Boards with I di it all the time and thay come out Clean and Filmn free. A must This is th only Complete method i have found for removing all contaminents from the Board. Just use the soap for dishwashers Except on Silver and aluminium. Then just hot water Like Doing a load of Dishes. <<<<<<<WARNING.................DO NOT USE YOUR HOME DISHWASHER AS LED CONTAMINATION OF OTHER ITEMS LIKE DISHES CAN RESULT

Aug 8, 2001 at 4:52 PM Post #15 of 20
I do it the same way skippy does.

Boards can be cleaned well with just rubbing alcohol. However, stuff that's now in stores does not need film removed. In fact, the film does not hamper soldering and keeps the rest of the copper away from the air - according to the notes shipping with PCBs.

A profi made board (like Hansen's) already has everything in place and doesn't need to be cleaned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back