Argentina here! Beyerdynamic DT 770 (32, 80 or 250ohms), and which Fiio?
Mar 23, 2015 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

lucasdepalma

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm from Argentina, so that's something to take into account. I have a friend who's travelling to New York and I'll ask him to buy me some gear, as headphones are extremely expensive here. e.g: Let's take a really expensive pair of headphones: "Sennheiser HD 598". They cost $4.700 pesos here in Argentina, which are about $400 dollars, and you can't get some common amps like Fiio (there are NO Fiios here).

Talking about headphones, I have the "Sony Pulse Elite Edition 7.1" mainly for gaming. I am a pianist and I abosolutely LOVE music. I'm looking for a set of headphones (only closed-back) which are suitable for a digital piano, and for listening to music (classical; Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Debussy, etc. I listen to a lot of piano pieces, but I too listen to symphonies and orchestral pieces).

I've been doing a lot of research, and I've found that the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO would be the most suitable pair of headphones for me. They are closed-back but everyone says the have a deep and awesome soundstage, they are not bass-centered, and the mids and highs are really balanced.

Here in Argentina I can get the 80ohms version for $5.580 pesos which are $472 dollars. My friend can get the 32ohms or 250ohms version at this place: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ for $180 dollars. Am I correct? Would that be a good deal?

Plus, I've read that I'll need an amp if I get the 250ohms (which I can't get in my country), and even the 80ohms would sound better with an amp. I'll use them with my digital piano: Ringway PDP-300, with my computer (I don't have a sound card; my PC's got a MOTHER "Asus Formula V Crosshair Z"), and with my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500. I think a Fiio E10, E11, or E12 would be too much money. I know those would work better than the one I'm about to mention, but for each dollar, I have to throw about $12 pesos, so... yeah.
Would a Fiio E6 do ANYTHING to improve volume/sound quality? Just a little bit, I'm not looking for a mind-blowing amp. I can absolutely pay $27 dollars. But I can't pay $130 for a E12, sadly.

What would you recommend then? Ask him to get me the DT 770 32ohms or the 250ohms? The 32ohms with the Fiio E6 or the 250ohms with the Fiio E6? Should I get the Fiio E6 at all, or they're just a waste of money to pair up with these kind of headphones? Any help will be extremely appreciated.

If you want to look up something in my country I'd advise you to search it on this website: http://www.mercadolibre.com.ar/.
The spanish words you might need are these:

headphones = auriculares (search like this: auriculares sennheiser hd X, or: auriculares beyerdynamic dt X)
amp = amplificador (amplificador de auriculares to be more specific)

I can't thank you enough for ANY help you can throw here. And anything you need, just tell me!

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #2 of 7
DT770 is a great headphone but it's not optimal for piano and classical music - for those genres balanced headphones are better (this is of course subjective but the majority agrees on this). DT770 is v-shaped with emphasized bass and treble that leads to recessed mids. It also sounds like you should be looking for a headphone that doesn't need amping since E6 isn't really worth it unless you buy some $50 headphone.

So my recommendation for a balanced headphone that doesn't need amping would be Soundmagic HP150 - it costs arround $180.

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 7
  Hi everyone, I'm from Argentina, so that's something to take into account. I have a friend who's travelling to the New York and I'll ask him to buy me some gear, as headphones are extremely expensive here. e.g: Let's take a really expensive pair of headphones: "Sennheiser HD 598". They cost $4.700 pesos here in Argentina, which are about $400 dollars, and you can't get some common amps like Fiio (there are NO Fiios here).

Talking about headphones, I have the "Sony Pulse Elite Edition 7.1" mainly for gaming. I am a pianist and I abosolutely LOVE music. I'm looking for a set of headphones (only closed-back) which are suitable for a digital piano, and for listening to music (classical; Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Debussy, etc. I listen to a lot of piano pieces, but I too listen to symphonies and orchestral pieces).

I've been doing a lot of research, and I've found that the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO would be the most suitable pair of headphones for me. They are closed-back but everyone says the have a deep and awesome soundstage, they are not bass-centered, and the mids and highs are really balanced.

Here in Argentina I can get the 80ohms version for $5.580 pesos which are $472 dollars. My friend can get the 32ohms or 250ohms version at this place: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ for $180 dollars. Am I correct? Would that be a good deal?

Plus, I've read that I'll need an amp if I get the 250ohms (which I can't get in my country), and even the 80ohms would sound better with an amp. I'll use them with my digital piano: Ringway PDP-300, with my computer (I don't have a sound card; my PC's got a MOTHER "Asus Formula V Crosshair Z"), and with my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500. I think a Fiio E10, E11, or E12 would be too much money. I know those would work better than the one I'm about to mention, but for each dollar, I have to throw about $12 pesos, so... yeah.
Would a Fiio E6 do ANYTHING to improve volume/sound quality? Just a little bit, I'm not looking for a mind-blowing amp. I can absolutely pay $27 dollars. But I can't pay $130 for a E12, sadly.

What would you recommend then? Ask him to get me the DT 770 32ohms or the 250ohms? The 32ohms with the Fiio E6 or the 250ohms with the Fiio E6? Should I get the Fiio E6 at all, or they're just a waste of money to pair up with these kind of headphones? Any help will be extremely appreciated.

If you want to look up something in my country I'd advise you to search it on this website: http://www.mercadolibre.com.ar/.

headphones = auriculares (search like this: auriculares sennheiser hd X, or: auriculares beyerdynamic dt X)

I can't thank you enough for ANY help you can throw here. And anything you need, just tell me!

I've sent you a PM

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 7
  Hi everyone, I'm from Argentina, so that's something to take into account. I have a friend who's travelling to New York and I'll ask him to buy me some gear, as headphones are extremely expensive here. e.g: Let's take a really expensive pair of headphones: "Sennheiser HD 598". They cost $4.700 pesos here in Argentina, which are about $400 dollars, and you can't get some common amps like Fiio (there are NO Fiios here).

Thank you EDMaddict! Any other model of another brand you'd recommend? I'm heading towards Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Sony, Shure, Bose, etc. Those are easier to find in my country.
Thanks again!

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 7
Mercadolibre Argentina:

Shure SRH-840: punchy mid-bass and detailed treble, it has good isolation and comes with extra pads. It's quite heavy though. ($3300)

Shure SRH-940: Very detailed, brighter and colder, a more analytic (less engaging for some) version of the SRH-840. Comes with extra pads and a case. Some users have reported unexpected cracks on the headband. ($4900)

AudioTechnica M50x: Favourite among 'Bass-heads', powerful bass and quite small soundstage, not the best pic for classical music. ($3200)

Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear: Sennheiser sound in its darkish version, smooth all across the board, it's a capable headphone that should work well with classical as far as you like its relaxed sound signature ($5000)

Focal Spirit Professional: Very good reviews, warm and detailed, these seem to be a very good all rounder. Small earpads, depending on your ears, these might be borderline On-ear headphones. ($6300)

Bose headphones are comfortable, but (in terms of sound quality) they don't have a great reputation around here.

Hope this helps!

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 7
  Thank you EDMaddict! Any other model of another brand you'd recommend? I'm heading towards Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Sony, Shure, Bose, etc. Those are easier to find in my country.
Thanks again!

I thought you said your friend was gonna buy them for you in the US? :)

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 7

For your budget th ebest option is a pair of HD598 if you want open headphones
If you want closed, the Beyer Dyanmic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm, you can get it for about 2700 pesos in argentina in mercadolibre

Another option is AudioTechnica ATH M50x.

For a device, if you want anything external, the best option is a meridian explorer, an audioquest dragonfly v1.2 or a HTR MusicStreamer
Internal maybe a xonar DX or Soundblaster Z

Users who are viewing this thread

Back