Argentina (come in if you're smart)
Jan 28, 2002 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Odin

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, last time you guys helped me with parallelism, and it worked great. Now this time, it's for history, stupid me picked "Recession in Argentina VS Great Depression in USA during the 40s" as my comparision topic, but after further investigating them, I found NOTHING similar to it, so now I'm pretty stuck and I need your help? Can y'all intellectuals help me this time?

Jan 28, 2002 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Argentina (come in if you're smart)

I'm smart. Here I am!

hmm..... post count +1
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2002 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Odin
stupid me picked "Recession in Argentina VS Great Depression in USA during the 40s"

well, the great depression was pretty much over by 1940 thanks to FDR's new deal. and then the war. by 1942, u.s. production was booming because of the war effort.

the worst years in the 'great depression' were 1930-1934 (note: depression started with the stock market crash of oct. 1929). FDR took office in 1933, and it took another year or two for the new deal to get going.

the u.s. depression did cause a worldwide economic slowdown. but that's all i know about the argentina part of your question.

perhaps argentina did not have the kind of 'social net' the u.s. had thanks to the new deal. thus, perhaps people in argentina suffered more than counterparts in the u.s. but that's just a guess on my part.

but you probably already knew this, right? . . .

Jan 28, 2002 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 16
Ok, let me clear things up here, the topic was compare "Recession in Argentina NOW " vs "Great Depression in US DURING THE 30s' " those are two different countries in two different time periods, I know most of Depression and I know some of Argentina, but the hard part is, I have to make up stuff to make them look similiar, which they don't, that's why I need your help!
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2002 at 8:14 PM Post #10 of 16
You can find out about the depression in the 30's in books, net everywhere. It really started when the price of crops dropped to the point the farmers made no money and they'll loose less money if they don't grow anymore. That had an effect on other sectors, and eventually the stock market crashed in wallstreet and the depression really hit big time.

But I don't think it's as bad as argentina because argentina had to scrap their currency because it worth nothing. US never scrapted the $ and a guy call John maynard Keans (I might have spelt it wrong) had the idea that the country should spent more money in recession then trying to save. Which was the normal thing to do, you lose you job so you spent less, the thinking behind that was logical but as a country it made things worse. FDR started the new deals scheme and spent money in different sectors like building schools and hospitals so that people can get back to work.

And coincided with the 2nd WW, industrial america really kicked in and people found jobs again and the whole economy when back on track rather after 3 years of depression. This is only what I remember from History class in school so you really should look it up properly. As to argentina, I have no idea, I suggest go to www.cnn.com and search for the subject. Or you could try your local library that keeps the daily newspaper. I guess it'll be hard to find information on argentina since it's very recent so there'll be no books on them, newspaper will be your best source + the internet.

Jan 28, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #11 of 16
Check Time Magazine and Newsweek. It would be better if you can get the Latin American editions. Also, let me try and find you some info about Argentina from Associated Press, but that would be for around midnigth, so let me know if you still need it by then.

Jan 29, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 16
I haven't tried newsweek, but I went to the Time website and they charge me for their archive section, so that didn't help me much. And thanks a lot Onix, I think those information would help me
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2002 at 2:38 AM Post #13 of 16
This is what I have so far:

¶ The current crisis, which has forced Argentina to default on its massive foreign debt and devalue its currency, was triggered last month when the IMF refused to extend a new dlrs 1.2 billion loan to Argentina, saying the country had no viable economic program.
Argentina had been counting on to meet interest payments coming due on the dlrs 141 billion debt.
¶ Social unrest toppled the government of President Fernando de la Rua and his successor Eduardo Duhalde is now trying to produce a new economic plan to qualify for renewed IMF assistance.

----------

¶ BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) _ Anger against a government banking freeze boiled over into fresh unrest early Saturday as President Eduardo Duhalde confronted the first nationwide protest against his rule.
¶ The banking curbs, imposed Dec. 1 by Argentina's last elected president, Fernando de la Rua, were tightened by Duhalde after he said drastic steps were needed to keep the teetering financial system afloat.
¶ With tear gas and rubber bullets flying, riot police dispersed hundreds of peaceful demonstrators, along with rock-throwing youths on the fringes of a peaceful rally that was winding down late Friday night.
¶ Demonstrators lingered in the streets for hours early Saturday as social tensions simmered. The crowds began melting away before dawn.
¶ "Get out! Get out!" people chanted, venting their anger at Duhalde's 3-week-old caretaker government. Others complained of corruption by officials. "They're all thieves!" some shouted.
¶ At least 13 people, including 10 police officers, were reported injured in the clashes outside the government palace, known as the Casa Rosada, which began around midnight.
¶ Dozens of people were reported detained. The violence began late Friday amid a driving rain that failed to deter some 10,000 people from entering the streets to bang pots and pans in what for hours was a peaceful nighttime protest.
¶ Adolfo Valotta, a 29-year-old lawyer who remained in the streets to demonstrate early Saturday, said Argentines are rightly angry with their government for the economic mess.
¶ "We are fed up with the politicians. People want their money, and solutions that will end this crisis," said Valotta. "The government isn't moving fast enough."
¶ Duhalde, who took office Jan. 2, had likened the stringent banking curbs to a "time bomb you have to dismantle very carefully."
¶ He had no immediate comment Saturday on the violent episodes outside the government palace, which saw tear gas canisters arching overhead and panicked people scattering everywhere.
¶ Large-scale riots in late December outside the same palace toppled de la Rua amid rioting and looting nationwide that claimed 26 lives.
¶ Across the country, tens of thousands of Argentines also took part in peaceful pot-banging demonstrations in major cities Friday after being summoned by grassroots groups through e-mails and word of mouth.
¶ There were reports of bank windows being shattered elsewhere, but the violence appeared to be concentrated in Buenos Aires.
¶ At the height of the clashes in the capital, youths threw Molotov cocktails and paving stones at police on motorcycles who fired rubber bullets into crowds.
¶ At one point, an Associated Press reporter saw police on motorcycles unleashed a barrage of rubber bullets and tear gas at peaceful demonstrators seated on the steps of the downtown cathedral.
¶ Volley after volley of tear gas exploded over the downtown Plaza de Mayo in front of the government palace as scores of riot police moved in and cleared hundreds of mostly peaceful demonstrators from the square.
¶ Since taking office, Duhalde has devalued the peso by more than 30 percent and further tightened a widely despised banking freeze that has locked most Argentines' savings into bank accounts.
¶ Norma Francomano, a 52-year-old teacher, joined thousands at the Plaza de Mayo.
¶ "This shouldn't have to happen in Argentina," she said, adding that she wanted new elections to be called to replace Duhalde, who was appointed by Congress in January as the country's fifth president in a month.
¶ "We want a popularly elected government, not a populist," she said of the Duhalde, a member of the Peronist Party.
¶ For weeks, Argentines have waited on block-long lines outside banks trying to take out hard-earned savings. There have been scattered protests, including violent outbursts in which demonstrators have shattered bank windows and firebombed a politician's home.

----------

Now, if I only knew before, I could have gotten more English material. I have to get back to work, but I'll keep looking.

Jan 29, 2002 at 2:50 AM Post #15 of 16
A chrono. I hope this helps.

¶ CHRONOLOGY:
¶ 2000
¶ _ May 29: Argentina annouces $938 million in spending cuts.
¶ _ Aug. 24: Then Economy Minister Jose Luis Machinea says 2000 deficit will reach about $5.2 billion, $500 million over target
¶ _ Dec. 18: IMF and international lenders announce $40 billion financial aid package
¶ 2001
¶ _ Mar. 2: Machinea resigns
¶ _ Mar. 4: Ricardo Lopez Murphy replaces Machinea and on Mar. 16 unveils two-year austerity program calling for deep cuts in education. Program leads six Frepaso officials to resign before Lopez Murphy steps down Mar. 19
¶ _ Mar. 20: De la Rua announces Domingo Cavallo as new economy minister
¶ _ Mar. 21: Cavallo presents Competitiveness Plan that includes financial transaction tax and tariffs protecting local businesses
¶ _ Apr. 17: Cavallo sends to Congress a bill that would tie peso to a 50-50 average of the euro and dollar
¶ _ June 3: Argentina swaps $29.477 billion of debt, defering debt servicing costs of $7.82 billion through 2002 and a total of $16.039 billion through 2005
¶ _ June 15: Argentina unveils new exchange rate system including euro for exports
¶ _ July 3: Argentine stocks fall to 28-month low
¶ _ July 10: Argentina pays highest interest rates in five years in auction of short-term debt. Cavallo says government will go immediately to deficit zero
¶ _ July 30: Senate passes zero deficit law to end defict spending and slashes public worker salaries and pensions by 13 percent
¶ _ Aug. 21: IMF gives Argentina $8 billion as part of financial aid package, adding to a $14 billion standby loan and helping local deposits to stabilize
¶ _ Oct. 14: Peronists make big gains in mid-term congressional electio
¶ _ Nov. 9-11: De la Rua visits with President Bush in NY, seeking international support for debt swap
¶ _ Nov. 31: Last day of a days-long run on the banks by Argentine depositors, siphoning off $2 billion alone on this day.
¶ _ Dec. 1: Economy Minister Domingo Cavallo imposes a partial freeze on bank account cash withdrawals and wire transfers. Depositors can withdraw no more than $1,000 monthly as he orders Argentines to use checks, debit and credit cards to make ordinary transfers. Congfusion and long bank lines follow for the remainder of the month.
¶ _ Dec. 13: National strike, the eighth against De la Rua's government, cripples most economic activity and public transport as hundreds of thousands of workers stay off jobs.
¶ _ Dec. 14: First supermarket lootings reported and begin spreading over weekend to Rosario, Cordoba, Entre Rios province (Concordia). De la Rua's government meets in national security session and announces millions of dollars in free food giveaways, but too little too late.
¶ _ Dec. 18: Looting and rioting spreads to greater Buenos Aires on night of Tuesday, Dec. 18 as rioters ransack shops, supermarkets and stores in poor fringe neighborhood of San Miguel. A night of rioting, broken glass as riot police fire tear gas and rubber bullets.
¶ _ Dec. 19: Looting spreads throughout much of Buenos Aires and many provinces beyond. Municipal employees in Cordoba try to burn town hall as rioting erupts. Clashes flare around the country between riot police firing tear gas and rubber bullets with the demonstrators. Some big supermarket chains try to defend stores with trucks in front of gates or by dispensing free food hand outs. By late evening, President Fernando De la Rua declares a state of emergency after widespread rioting and looting rock Argentina in protest against his failed economic austerity measures, saying it will last 30 days, bar public assembly.
¶ _ Dec 20. Defying the state of emergency, or "state of siege," middle class turns out after midnight on on morning of Thursday, Dec. 20, beating pots and pans and chanting "De la Rua resign" outside Casa Rosada and his suburban residence, Olivos. Riot police use tear gas to break up the crowd. At dawn, a new crowd of anti-government opponents begins forming at Casa Rosada and new clashes begin as police use mesh barricades to block off the government house, riot police charge repeatedly on horseback, tear gas and rubber bullets fly. Water cannon, riot police on scotters firing into crowds follow as unrest deepns and thousands riot in the streets. On Thursday afternoon about 5 p.m., President Fernando De la Rua resigns, hours after his economy minister, following two days of anti-government unrest that left least 26 people dead and more than 200 injured. He flies from Casa Rosada rooftop in a helicopter after signing resignation in his own hand and sending to Sneate.
¶ _ Dec. 21. Joint session of Congress accepts resignation and designates Senate leader Ramon Puertas acting president for 48 hours. Rioting and looting subsides.
¶ _ Dec. 22. All-day wrangling over transition, Peronist governors meeting in San Luis pick its governor, Adolfo Rodriguez Saa, to be caretaker president.
¶ _ Dec. 23. Adolfo Rodriguez Saa is sworn in as Argentina's interim president, and immediately suspends payment of the country's dlrs 132 billion debt. He is to hold office until March 3, 2002, election to elect a president to serve out the term of De la Rua, which was to end in December 2003. Also announces a parallel currency to be created along with 100,000 jobs in one week through public workers projects nationwide.
¶ _ Dec. 24. Banking holiday declared. Long lines at provincial banks as pensioners try to
¶ _ Dec. 26. After Christmas, banking holiday continues as government rushes to prepare a new currency that one newspaper, Clarin, reports will be worth $10 billion, essentially replacing the money supply. Devaluation and inflationary worries on rise as Stock Market remains closed amid confusion, government promises to restore "confidence" in Argentina and authorities say new currency, called the argentino, to be ready first week of January. Long bank lines form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back