Ares & DAC68 must go. There's a new dog in town.
Mar 19, 2022 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Mr.Tom

100+ Head-Fier
This is nothing new, and is somewhat old. I bought a used MHDT Canary DAC. I'm somewhat shocked at how Analog it sounds. I thought my Ares II was good, but for as close to analog sound, this Canary smokes it.
Did a blind AB test with 2 friends and my wife, all agreed the Canary was better.

I sold the Ares Yesterday, and will post the DAC68 in a few days.

Still hard to believe it bested my Ares!

Canary-2-3.jpg

Canary-2-2.jpg

Mar 20, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 3
This is nothing new, and is somewhat old. I bought a used MHDT Canary DAC. I'm somewhat shocked at how Analog it sounds. I thought my Ares II was good, but for as close to analog sound, this Canary smokes it.
Did a blind AB test with 2 friends and my wife, all agreed the Canary was better.

I sold the Ares Yesterday, and will post the DAC68 in a few days.

Still hard to believe it bested my Ares!
Then you are ready for your next upgrade, the new MHDT Audio Orchid with 6922 tube, or even the original MHDT Labs Orchid with 5670 tube. If you are shocked by the Canary you better brace yourself if you get the Orchid! hahaha

Mar 20, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 3
I'm not into DAC flipping, and I have no upgrade bug. I got this cheap, and thought I'd give it a shot. I'm glad I did, and I'm 100% happy with the 1545 chips sound.
I also like the GE5670W tubes. I just bought 20 of them for $100. Ran them thru the tube tester, and they all measured very good.
Now I can leave the DAC on 24/7 for the next 20 years.:sunglasses:

I may pick up a used Pagoda Balanced, if one comes up cheap, But I'm more impressed with the Canary than any other DAC I've owned(about 10 over the last 34 years).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back