Are you willing to reterminate/recable for balanced PORTABLE?
Oct 29, 2009 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Robin W.

Member of the Trade: RW Audio
Very simple question, the title says it all.

Are you willing to make the change for a portable amp?
Or is it just not worth it in a portable setting?

(Connector would be 4 conductor 3.5mm)

**Note if this would fit better in either portable or headphones please move it, I chose to put it here because a balanced amp is the fundamental here.

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 7
If there was a good balanced portable amp of some sort available, for the sake of arguement assume there are a couple of choices, would reterminating be an option?
And a side note would you be able to? Or require someone to reterminate/recable for you?

From what I have found sofar the are only DIY options. However I know of two companies with plans of such product. There could be many more.

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 7
I might be willing to.
Providing that a highly regarded portable balanced amplifier were available to match it up with.

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 7
I don't believe in portable amps, really, so no. I would not reterminate. When I need "portable" I don't need the best quality in the world; I need to enjoy music, which I can do with a simple set of customs from an ipod.

How much Isolation/ silence would you need to hear a difference between a balanced portable and an unbalanced one?

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the point of this thread when there's no balanced portable amp, let alone balanced portable source, now?

Because your answers will determine how quickly I turn the prototype into a production model.
It will have SE inputs, and balanced outputs (yes I know it's not true balanced, but as you said there are no balanced portable sources... yet)

I absolutely love the sound the sound of it and I think many others would too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back